Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Road riding in bad weather
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

was hoping to do a spot of riding over Xmas, but at best the roads have just tramlines of cleared road in the snow, these are on fairly busy roads.

I think I’m gonna go running instead. feels risky to ride and will inconvenience drivers.

What would you do?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

See my reply in the other thread

cynic-al
    Free Member

😡

druidh
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get out on the road bike on Sunday (is that actually Boxing Day this year?). From what I’ve seen, the roads should be clear enough. I’m hoping that todays snowfall in East Lothian has melted/been washed away by then as that looks like the most likely destination.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 at s-a

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Make good use of the miles and miles of off road cycle paths in and around edinburgh?

coastkid
    Free Member

Todays snow has indeed mostly melted on roads here in E. Lothian,
    more so along the coast than inland,lots of salt/grit on the roads though. There a bit slushy up around East Fortune with the usual twin tracks of tarmac between 😮
    can keep you up dated 😮

GW
    Free Member

al – all the trails round my way are rideable. they are slippy and at times hardgoing but it’ll sharpen up your skills too.
    Don’t you have a mtb?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m hoping to try out my new tyres 🙂 I went out in Stirling on saturday and can’t say I was happy riding. Some roads were ok, some sketchy and when cars passed on the sketchy sections I wasn’t happy. So much so, that 2 hours on the turbo on Sunday seemed appealing! I doubt there will be much traffic on boxing day, and roads by the coast will be clear. That’s what I’m hoping anyway… And as a runner (albeit banned from running), I dont fancy my chances on the pavements much so I’d be sticking with bike on main roads.

RealMan
    Free Member

Bit of rule 5 and 9 needed here.

Rule 5:

Harden The F*** Up.

Rule 9:

If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

However, I did a ride a few weeks ago where the drink in my bottle froze solid. Not quite sure what you’re meant to do to stop that. Should get a ride in on Friday hopefully.

GW
    Free Member

drink spirits then you’ll be double badass! 😉

stucol
    Free Member

Druidh, the forecast for Sunday on Metcheck is for lots of snow from the afternoon onwards.

That’s for Glasgow so you best check up your way.

Personally i am not expecting to get the road bike out for several weeks. Had a go a fortnight ago and the wheelspin up hills put me off.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – DGOAB and I were out round East Lothian a couple of weeks back and it was the hub-deep puddles that were the biggest obstacle 🙂

Sunday temperatures look a bit strange – there’s no dash in front of the number….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m in NI at the moment, road bike only.

Safety and not holding up traffic are the concerns (waits for someone to say “you are the traffic”)

got my running hear here tho 🙂

Carpediem
    Free Member

Same problem down in S wales.Got a new road bike,but there’s so much muck and Slush on the roads, dont fancy it too much.

Running’s a pain at the moment too.Pavements are like the cresta run, and running routes up mountain are shin deep in snow GRRRRRRR…..

coastkid
    Free Member

I did a ride a few weeks ago where the drink in my bottle froze solid. Not quite sure what you’re meant to do to stop that

Buy one of those Highlander cover things for bottles, Its cordura with a foam liner.
    Also fit your bottles upside down in the cages, If you use the Camelbak ones with lock valve they dont leak.
    they wont fit quite right but shouldnt come out on the road esp with the cover on, upside down they freeze arse up and when you turn it right way up to drink its ice free 😮
    Been doing this lately and never got thirsty 😮
    I read Alaskan biking forums 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Also fit your bottles upside down in the cages, If you use the Camelbak ones with lock valve they dont leak.
    they wont fit quite right but shouldnt come out on the road esp with the cover on, upside down they freeze arse up and when you turn it right way up to drink its ice free

Will have to give that a try next ride.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah. I find the biggest issue is that my bottle freezes up.

Done quite a few road rides in the last month or so where I’m wheelspinning up the hills and two wheel drifting down them, cest la vie.

When your tyres look like this

ice tyres by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

And the roads look like this.

Silly road by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

or this…

ICE! by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

RealMan
    Free Member

Especially when you’re faffing around taking pictures when you’re riding 😉 Bike looks nice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in bad weather’ is closed to new replies.