Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road riding in a group
  • Netdonkey

A group of us coming back from a night ride last night at 23:00 got pulled over by the police as we were riding two abreast. After the standard "I don't want to have to knock on your families door" line about road safety he promptly advised us to ride in single file. (This was all done on a blind bend and after he nearly knocked a mate down by opening his door). I was of the impression that defensive riding in a bunch on the road was better thank a string of cyclists (13 in this case) in single file as cars will regularly overtake the end of the string only to find a car coming in the opposite direction mid overtake and the natural reaction is to pull in knocking the unlucky cyclist they were in the process of overtaking off.

Am i right in this thought?

clubber
    Free Member

You should

•keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    •keep both feet on the pedals
    never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
    •not ride close behind another vehicle
    •not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    •be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

You're probably right in your thoughts though – forces drivers to be more careful, especially in places where they shouldn't overtake – eg blind bends.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I would be phoning his boss about that one. Guy is a muppet.

Also, highway code is mostly a set of guidelines not a lot of law.

oldgit
    Free Member

And he pulled you up just for that, no other reason given?

I assume you were riding in a tidy fashion, no in and out or gassing and gesticulation going on.

BigJohn

If he drove up behind you and felt you were at risk from other drivers then it was good of him to warn you.

Netdonkey

No we were just grinding our way home after a 25 mile off road ride. No mucking about bit of chat and a lot of shouting "car" when one of us heard one. I have no problems with taking advice, certainly no problems with the police. I did think he was putting us in more danger by a. having this discussion on a blind bend in the road, his response was the blue lights would cause other road users to slow down? and b. nearly knocking one of us off the bike by opening his door on him. Ohh and he overtook us to do all this!

did try and take my mates name though when he told the policeman he should be more f***ing careful you nearly knocked me off 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

class act – another example of police excellence …. i used to regularly get pulled over for riding on the dual carridgeway.

reason – there is a cycle path over there … a twisty narrow often littered with glass and other debris (including cars) after a share of accidents i took to finding the dualer safer – in 3 years zero accidents on dualer … not good enough for the copper

MrSmith
    Free Member

"it's advisory and not compulsory. i prefer to ride 2 abreast/on the highway not the cycle path."
    "thank you for your advice, am i free to go?"

unless they are going to arrest you for something then you are.
    coppers don't like smartarses though 🙂

rootes1

christ nothing better to do by the sounds of it – should write into to the force, sorry service, commander to inform re rubbish knowledge of his/her officers

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

maybe he was right??

as for the string of cyclists thing, why not break the string up and leave space for cars to overtake into a gap? no point in creating confrontation for no reason.

druidh
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    maybe he was right??

as for the string of cyclists thing, why not break the string up and leave space for cars to overtake into a gap? no point in creating confrontation for no reason.

In fact, why ride on the road at all? no point in creating confrontation for no reason.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in a group’ is closed to new replies.