Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road rides near Gairloch, NW Scotland – help
  • Crell
    Free Member

I’m staying in Gairloch for the next few days and have the road bike with me. I was pretty inspired by the Torridon thread (off road ) a few weeks ago and hoping that folks with local knowledge can point me in the right direction of what not to miss in the local area.

I was going to say I’d like the scenic routes but with the weather forecast I might not be able to see more than 100 ft. Any info or GPX files appreciated.

Cheers

househusband

I’m sure lots of folk will be along with lots of Torridon information but I thought that I’d come up with an alternative should the weather close in higher up – this is along the coastline.

The singletrack along the coastline from Badrallach to Scoraig is reasonably technical in places and certainly keeps you on your toes. Scoraig is a lively wee mainland community pretty much cut off from mainland infrastructure. Even the ride from Dundonnell House along the road, up and down would be nice but looking at OS mapping online there is some singletrack shown (well, shown on the map anyways) that would take off a few km on the road) from Dundonnell House.

Just a suggestion if Torridon is out!

chickenman

There are no small roads that let you do a circular route. You can ride out to all the various headlands and back (e.g. the lighthouse north of Gairloch).
    A nice ride would be down to Kinlochewe, along to Torridon and on to Diabeg. You could of course do the Applecross circuit with the Bealach nam Ba in it.
    A map (or two) is a useful purchase ..

househusband

Doh… sorry didn’t see the ‘Road’ bit but I’ll leave the above anyways for future reference. The roads in the area are stunning and I’d certainly return for road-only riding.

scotroutes

Assuming that you are just cycling from Gairloch then your options are limited, but stunning nonetheless. Even just the short ride bast Badachro and out to Red Point is lovely.

If you’re able to/willing to drive a bit then the Bealach na Ba loop to Applecross is a must-do, as is the wee mad road of Inverpolly which you can do as a loop from north of Ullapool to Lochinver and back. There’s a short version coming back via Loch Assynt or a longer one via Drumbeg.

Lochinver has a very good pie shop!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road rides near Gairloch, NW Scotland – help’ is closed to new replies.