Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road rides from Edingburgh
  • tollah
    Free Member

Has anyone got any GPX files or ideas for evening road ride around Edinburgh? I’m up there for a week and a half for work and will need to get out at some point for some riding?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Not really an evening road ride, in that there is next to no road, but there is a nice loop goes out the water of leith to Currie, which then cuts through to Heriot Watt uni before going onto the canal to Newbridge, then the cycle path to Sth Queensferry and back via Dalmeny Estate. Two or three hours worth.

pixelmix
    Free Member

The above isn’t really a road ride – too many gravel and muddy bits for properly skinny tyres.

How long to you want to be out for? I can dig something out of my strava or garmin accounts. If you are staying centrally, I’d suggest incorporating a lap or two of Arthur’s Seat.

A ride to Gullane or North Berwick and back is quite pleasant on a sunny evening, but probably less pleasant in the dark.

tollah
    Free Member

I’ve got both CX and road wheels with me so either and or is good for me. I’m staying out Holyrood Park way I think. If you could mail me over some from your Strava account that would be cool I could always crop them if time doesnt allow. thanks

pixelmix
    Free Member

In that case, I’d suggest a variation of glupton’s suggestion with CX wheels. See here for my strava ride. I’d be looking at about 2hrs from city centre to city centre.

Starts in town (near my office in my case) and you can just pick up the route from the cycle path at Roseburn near Haymarket. For the way back, I used the canal and then crossed the Water of Leith path in my route. To get back towards town, I would suggest just continuing along either (the Water of Leith path is more interesting).

pixelmix
    Free Member

This should also be useful for the Water of Leith to Balerno and back. Pleasant enough of the CX bike and you can turn round sooner if you need to shorten it.

You can see the obvious spot in Balerno where I popped out onto the road. That would make a nice turn around spot for about 1h30 of riding.

pixelmix
    Free Member

This extends the Water of Leith with some CX-able Pentlands tracks. My route finishes near my house, but you would just continue down the hill to pick up the Water of Leith path back towards town.

This version uses some back roads a bit to avoid the muddy puddles, but you could add in some extra off road trails here and there.

andrewh
    Free Member

Ellie, Anstruther and Crail are worth a look, very pretty along there.

RustyMac

If you schedule allows for a daytime ride and you head east to Gullane or North Berwick there is an excelent cafe/bakery in Gullane called Falco. They do very lovely hand made cakes. it is on the high street just at the trafic lights for the pedestrian crossing.

tollah
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ve now got something to do of an evening!! Strava only lets you download gpx now if you’re a premium member but I can look at the maps and make my own rides up from there, thanks again

pixelmix
    Free Member

Tollah, I can easily send the gpx files by email from my garmin connect site. I’ll get on that this evening…

tollah
    Free Member

If its no bother that would be great thanks, my email is in the profile.

stanfree
    Free Member

There is some great road riding in East Lothian down the coast way and pop back up over the Garleton Hills to Haddington . See the linky . If you time It right take a long ride to Dunbar and catch the train back. Also some great stuff in the Lammermuirs but I wouldn’t head out there in the dark as It feels very remote and you will hardly see a car every hour If something goes wrong.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Also – to be fair – most of what’s in the Pentlands is CXable easily enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you are staying south east of town, no way would I suggest trawling all the way through the congestion to go riding in the west. Go south or east. I’ve no GPX but can suggest some routes in East Lothian.

Or if you’re lucky I might even show you some 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road rides from Edingburgh’ is closed to new replies.