Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Road riders wearing black – why?
  • Peyote
    Free Member

Nearly always dark colours here too, easier to keep clean and less embarassing when wet!

There’s also the arms-race argument, a bit like the lumen-wars. The brighter you are the less likley you’ll be hit*, but the more likley the focus is taken away from other things! There’s a reason that flouro yellow is called “urban camoflage” these days, leave it for the people who work on the roads and in dangerous places, don’t use it for commuting it lessens the impact for those who need it…

*Although I’d argue that positioning yourself is far more important than what you wear. It’s easier to move into a drivers field of vision than to move their field of vision to you.

iainc

I was riding home last week along a cycle path which runs along side the road but is totally segregated from the road, cars can’t access the path or stray onto it. There was a guy coming towards me with a very bright light in strobe mode, this was broad daylight, all he was doing was blinding oncoming riders. Idiot

A77 by chance ? If so I’ve seen this a few times too….

binners

Stewart Maconi made the comment that if you want to pass completely unnoticed through any environment in the UK, put a fluorescent jacket on

jekkyl

In the day make it gay, at night make it bright.
    In the dark make it light and get yourself seen.
    Whether working for a living or riding for your pleasure
    Let the world see that life is something that you treasure
    and get yourself seen.

bigyinn
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

I recently had a 370 post conversation about this on Facebook with TJ.

I could copy and paste that if you want – just to save the same thing being duplicated on here.
    Don’t you dare. I missed important bits of Downton abbey trying to read that lot.
    Suffice to say it descended into cries of hypocrisy, helmets and rotational injuries.
    😆

ton

Cycling in the Uk is not like cycling in Holland or Denmark though is it?

timc……please explain how it differs?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I ride in Black, I do so cos’ it’s sexy.

I don’t however ride at night on busy main roads, all my riding is done in the quiet Hampshire Lanes.

If on the foldie/fixie in That Lunnnjon I ride in jeans and jacket, however I have just bought a very dashing burnt Orange variety so I’d class that as “bright”.

Lights go without saying, roadie has one on front, two on seatpost, foldie one on front, two on rear seatstays, fixie has one on front one on rear.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It was Ian, just near Fenwick.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I ride in dark colors as they look better and I dont want to look like a lollypop man. Does anyone have any hard stats that say dressing like a wolly decreases your chances of being hit??…. cos logic definitely says otherwise.

The only reason a driver should not be able so see a cyclist (given that all cars come equipped with powerful head lights) is if they are not looking at them. Rear lights are are a good idea so that a driver can have prior warning of a cyclist before his/her dipped beam reaches the rider. Before this time no amount of reflective gaudy color schemes will illuminate you as there is no light to reflect.

D0NK

I’d guess it’s cause they dressed for a ride not for a health and safety convention. If it was night time and they had no lights and dark clothes feel free to have a rant, if it was daytime and they just got caught out in low light I don’t see why they deserve scorn. 80-90% cars had lights on so presumably there were a few dark coloured cars with no lights on – why are you not having a pop at them?

zilog6128

Stewart Maconi made the comment that if you want to pass completely unnoticed through any environment in the UK, put a fluorescent jacket on

This is because people won’t wonder about what you are doing or question your authority to be there, not because it makes you literally invisible.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If we’re talking safety then lights and reflective strips/panels have a much greater impact than fabric colour in low light conditions and in normal light conditions black is perfectly visible.

Eh?

So you’re saying that a material that requires light to bounce off it is better than hi-viz in low light conditions (when not all cars have headlights on) and black is as visible as a hi-viz in ‘normal light conditions’ (whatever they are)?

‘k…

😕

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not once in my life can I remember being out in the car and not seeing a cyclist because he was wearing a dark coloured top (I’m not starting on shorts). I’ve been caught out by someone in dark clothes at night without lights, but the solution for him wasn’t to put a different coloured hoodie on it was to get some lights.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not once in my life can I remember being out in the car and not seeing a cyclist because he was wearing a dark coloured top (I’m not starting on shorts). I’ve been caught out by someone in dark clothes at night without lights, but the solution for him wasn’t to put a different coloured hoodie on it was to get some lights.

That’s because you didn’t see them…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Eeeh, that photo is a fail…

Baggy cuffs, hood, cut too long at the front and too short at the back, no pockets and she’s wearing knickers.

Not really cycling clothing at all.

I had to stop and peer very closely at the lady’s bottom to confirm the knicker-wearing thing. You must have great eyesight.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So you’re saying that a material that requires light to bounce off it is better than hi-viz

?
    High viz also requires light to bounce of it

transmute
    Free Member

Seems we have lost the knowledge already!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0[/video]

Bring back the nanny state! 😉

tonyd

I have some red/blue/etc jerseys but for the most part my riding gear is black or drab colours. There just isn’t that much choice out there unfortunately. When commuting I tend to wear a fluoro gilet and some of those fluoro/reflective reversible ankle strap things, and lots of lights on the bike/me when it starts getting dark (ie now).

binners

Basically it comes down to the trade off between some perception of personal safety, and not wanting to look like a bell end

29erKeith
    Free Member

imo colour of the clothes is nonsense, lights make a difference and some reflective bits in twilight but in the dark or daylight it’ll make sod all difference imho

Fairly thick fog here this morning I couldn’t believe the number of cars driving about with no light on at all! madness in my mind

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That’s because you didn’t see them…

I know were supposed to be arguing the toss, gradually taking a more opposed viewpoint and generally getting angrier as the thread goes on but that was funny. Nice work. 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

High viz also requires light to bounce of it

If you’re referring to the fact you need light to see it (such as daylight, or other ambient light) then yes – it does.

Reflective strips do exactly that – reflect. They require a direct light source, such as a headlight, to work. Therefore in most situations (such as daylight) they will not be as visible as hi-viz.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I know were supposed to be arguing the toss, gradually taking a more opposed viewpoint and generally getting angrier as the thread goes on but that was funny. Nice work.

Thank you. 😉

binners

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

grum – Member

“murdered out” is a good look.

Murdered out is my favourite colorway.

I brought some cycling clothes in a murdered out colorway recently.

😀

I brought my way out colors to a club ride recently and got asked to swap them out.

GrahamS

Seems we have lost the knowledge already!

Quality – love the full tinfoil suit the kid is wearing. Very practical.

Not a helmet in sight though… 😛

cookeaa

Having a decent set of lights is most likely get you seen in low light conditions IMO, supplementing that with some brightly coloured and/or retro reflective clothing is perfectly harmless so do it if you want (I do) but if black / dark colours are your preferred aesthetic then fair enough, os long as you have some lights on then I suppose the drivers excuses for mowing you down are pretty much null and void.

TBF no matter what you wear you’ll be viewed as a weirdo these days, your on a bike.

user-removed
    Free Member

Whats the point of lights in bright sunshine?

I came close to hitting a guy on a bike, in a 50 zone the other day. Very, very contrasty light, lots of areas of shadow and blinding light, twisty road – the kind of conditions which have more than once made me pack in a ride and go home.

I was driving according to the conditions but at the end of the day, you’ve got to make progress.

Saw the guy in a deep pool of shadow, at the very last moment and stamped on the brakes. Waited a moment until it was safe to overtake. If I’d been doing the recommended 50mph, I would have been lucky not to hit him. If he’d had a flashing rear light, I’d have seen him earlier.

I understand this ^^^ is dangerous talk round these parts and it’s the responsibility of the driver to be very aware of vulnerable road users, but if there’s anything I can do to make myself safer on a bike, I’ll do it. And that does include assessing light conditions and going home where necessary.

EDIT – no clue what he was wearing…

amedias
    Free Member

The key to visibility is not colour or brightness but contrast, on a gloomy day in a city that may well be bright colours, but in other conditions it may not be.

You will actually get better visibility by having areas of different colour/brightness next to each other, ie: bright bike, dark rider or dark top, bright helmet and shorts that way you have more chance of people being able to pick you out against a variety of backgrounds.

All said and done though being in dark clothing does not make you invisible as long as you are sufficiently illuminated

lilchris
    Free Member

EDIT – no clue what he was wearing…

Brown trousers?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

IanW
    Free Member

I would rather not cycle(and I have most days since I was three) than join the wonking helmet, high viz gang.

Insisting people dress up in silly clothes is one of the key reasons people dont start cycling in the first place.

Doesnt matter a jot what colour your wearing when the driver of a car is updating their facebook status.

timc
    Free Member

ton – Member
    timc……please explain how it differs?

Come on, no point going round the houses, we all know these countries cater for cyclists better than the Uk.

MoreCashThanDash

Op – see my ninja roadies thread a few months ago, the row went on for days……

mrmo
    Free Member

and why so many silver cars that disapear into fog banks….

ransos
    Free Member

Cycling in the Uk is not like cycling in Holland or Denmark though is it?

You’re right: we’re intent on making cycling in the UK be seen as a dangerous activity.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I recently bought a set of exposure flash/flare lights for this very reason. Whilst i have kit that is colourful, i also have kit that is dark. The lights i use as daylight running lights because they are rechargeable and run for 8hrs which is easily enough for a day ride.
    Lights, plus a bright fluoro helmet should have me seen regardless of whatever else I’m wearing.
    As above, doesn’t matter what colour you are if the driver doesn’t care enough to actually look where they are going.

tenfoot

Very rarely wear black on the road. At junctions I think people are looking further up the road for fast moving vehicles, and aren’t necessarily concentrating on the foreground. I generally wear red in the hope that the brighter colour will catch the driver’s eye, specifically at junctions.

benji
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of black, with modern fabrics getting bright colours clean again is not a problem. This is me, easily spottable.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m with muddydwarf – use Flash/Flares as daylight lights and have a hi viz helmet, doesn’t matter what colour my kit is then

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Road riders wearing black – why?’ is closed to new replies.