Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road ride – Sunday 16th, I need a guide or a nice route.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

Hi all.

Im meeting up with a few lads next Sunday in the Edale/Hope/Castleton (Peak Distract) area for a long overdue road ride, I know the area a bit it but I was wondering if anyone knows a good route or join us as a guide.

I’m looking for approx 2/3 hrs steady one, hills ok but one of the lads is not too fit. (coming back from injury) so steady one needed, ave approx 16’s.

So the questions is, if you know the area well and want to join us and show us the area then come along, distance about 50/60 is cool.

So over to you all.

Cheers.

Rochey
    Free Member

Anyone????

scaredypants

Problem is, you’re asking for somebody to come out on a WITNESSED ride

nobody’s going to go for that; could ruin an online racer’s reputation

Rochey
    Free Member

??? – what you saying, there are 3 road riders coming up, and we are wanting to join a club ride, follow the wheels and don’t want to get lost, that’s it really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not local, can’t help…but does no one look at a map, think up a route, then try it out anymore?

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

I’d happily take you guys out from Hayfield if you like? The route I would show you would be Glossop, Bamford, Calver, Peak Forest, Chapel, Hayfield. It’s hilly.

Rochey
    Free Member

Map, good point but not for us, sad I know.

cyclepathologist, sounds a plan, what sort of distance are we talking about, the only small problem is the lads I’m with may not like to many hills, 😳

crazy-legs

I’m local too, could probably fit it in.
    Be aware though that anything starting from that area is going to be hilly. I know a few good routes round there, will try and work out the least brutal of them!
    Post up again nearer the time, I’ll know then if I can do it or not.

cyclepathologist, sounds a plan, how far is that from Hope/Castleton area??

Straight line, about 7 miles. By road, about 15 miles.

Rochey
    Free Member

the only reason for Edale, is I know the area but its not set in stone, would like to do the Edale climb at some point if poss though 😀 (just don’t tell the lads)

crazy legs, you legend, thanks.

scaredypants

??? – what you saying

This: 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

The CTC Phil and Friends ride is a nice route.

Map.

crazy-legs

would like to do the Edale climb at some point if poss though

The one from Edale up to Mam Nick where it meets the Rushup Edge road?
    Evil…

😉

Rochey
    Free Member

yes the one up to Mamtor

jekkyl

Cycle off as fast as possible and leave that cyclist who doesn’t like hills! Hills are the best part, durrr

crazy-legs

Sorry, just realised I’m in London all weekend at the Cycle Show…

😳

Rochey
    Free Member

bugger!!!!

Anyone else help me out, if not it looks like I will have to look at the good old map way 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Ygm Rochey. I could show you a route (Im not a roadie but know the roads). Tbh though pulling out a map – you wouldnt go far wrong at all.

How about fairholmes-heatherdene-bakewell(?)-hope-winnats pass-hayfield-snake pass back (havent got a map infront of me) but its a loop

oli2001
    Free Member

hey Si
    try google threeshiressportive. did it a couple of years ago. it is a figure of 8 starting in buxton going up to castleton/ edale ,back to buxton and out to cat and fiddle. you could llet the strugglers bale out at buxton if they needed or carry on for the second half. Each part about 30 miles approx.
    or look on the bikeradar routes bit they have some nice routes. if i was around this weekend i’d have liked to been there!
    Ian

iamsporticus
    Free Member

OK Im not an expert or a local but have in laws nearby-ish

Its the Peak District so hills are unavoidable

Best option to “avoid” them from Castleton and stick to quietish roads would be:

Head east on valley floor in tight formation to Hathersage
    Turn right at village and ride south for about 1km till you get to the Plough where there is an awkward right turn on a crest
    Follow this through Abney and past the gliding club, on the descent take a right at the T junction towards Hucklow then look for a snicket from here to the B6049 heading to Tideswell
    Cross the A623 and head into Tideswell then carry on to Millers Dale where you need to turn right in the valley floor up to Wormhill
    After the Wormhill climb head towards Peak Forrest, cross the A623 again and steer NWish through Perryfoot Dale to the end, turn right heading to Castleton again and either kamikaze it down Winnats to where you started or errrrrr kamikaze it down Mam Nick to Edale then back round to Castleton

Total distance about 55km, vertical climb 800m which is pretty wussy by my Peak District experience

🙂

Rochey
    Free Member

Chees lads,

Sad news, ride cancelled, NOT HAPPY.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It’s only a bike ride. You can always go out and do it on your own.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road ride – Sunday 16th, I need a guide or a nice route.’ is closed to new replies.