Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road Ride from Glasgow Airport
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

In glasgow tonight, brought the roadie (was considering mtb but i’d be less gutted if this gets half inched). My wonderful employers truly amazing travel/accommodation supplier has managed to source me a hotel effing miles away from where i’m working in the salubrious environs of the airport (FFS).
    Anyhoo I think i’ve got two options, ride from the office (high blantyre) out towards whitelees windfarm, maybe get all gnarrmac up there

or

Ride from the hotel head towards Clyde Muirshield / Lochwinnoch

or something else suggested by you wonderful, wonderful people

what’s the verdict?

2tyred

I’d head out along the Georgetown road to Bridge of Weir, then take the Kilmacolm road to Greenock. Up and over the old Largs road to Largs, then up the Heely Brae and out to Kilbirnie, on through Lochwinnoch and back towards the airport by Kilbarchan.

50ish hilly miles, some nice roads, especially the old Largs road.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Head through paisley and up the big climb to glennifer braes. Either keep going straight on and off into the countryside or turn left near the top of the climb to head up to the top of the braes – as you turn left make sure you’re in your prepared for a beast of a climb.

foot of the climb

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pebblebeach
    Free Member

Didn’t read the bit about high blantyre but yes heading out towards the windfarm is a good call. There’s a lovely wee road at the back of the windfarm that eventually takes you to Galston if you really want to go that far. Or head through Eaglesham, over the moor and onto the a77 cycle path, down to the next junction, left towards galston, you then meet the same road that runs round the back of the windfarm – you’ll be looking at roughly 50 miles for either of those routes though.

Or eaglesham, over the moor, next right down a wee road after the long descent, right onto the a77, next right heading for clarkston then back to high blantyre from clarkston.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mmmmm. Good stuff so far keep it coming.

Did consider riding to Eaglesham and down to the airport along the A77but i think I’ll ditch that as it means a fair ride in in the morning

didgerman
    Free Member

All good choices. You could also look at going over Erskine bridge and on up the west coast of loch lomond. Bit of a pickle getting out of traffic etc for a while, but I’m sure it’ll clear once you’re by the water. Back through Faslane if you want..

OmarLittle
    Free Member

How many miles are you looking to do?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

30-40 tops really

Like the Lomond Plan

didgerman
    Free Member

I guess you could cycle out to Luss and straight back then, but the traffic lights and main roads won’t be much fun until you’re half way there. After that it’s all good, with your classic Scotland views.
    Some good views out to sea on the other routes though.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

30-40 tops really

Ignore my ‘back of the windfarm’ route then. The alternative eaglesham/a77/mearnskirk/clarkston should come in around that.

Although if you head up to glennifer braes you can ride as far as you want on wee country roads.

If you’re on the A77 I’ll give you a wave as I ride home 🙂

sniff
    Free Member

NCN 7 from Paisley to Dalry, take the B780 then the Fairlie moor road up and over the moor with views to Arran and the west coast, then head up the coast to Largs for an ice cream/pint and get the train back to Paisley.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Loch Lomond is really nice in terms of views once you get there but the roads can be busy (the cycletrack option is good in parts, but not good in others) and most of your route would be going through an urban area.

There are lots of quiet lanes in between Houston and Kilmacolm, these can be difficult to find if you are not familar with the area but this should give an idea of where they are http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9780418

The NCN7 cycletrack is a good option too once you are through Paisley the stretch to Kilbirnie or to above Port Glasgow are well surfaced with tarmac and traffic free.

moonsaballoon

https://www.strava.com/activities/360168576

This is quite a good loop that you could add another few miles on by heading out to Stewarton and turning left back towards barrrhead

https://www.strava.com/activities/331252497

This but the other way , out to kilmalcolm on the cycle path , head over to lochwinnoch , jump on the cyclepath to the big bike , up to the bowfield hotel and then choose how far along the braes you want to go before turning back to paisley

https://www.strava.com/activities/366016482

i did this the night before last , only 20 miles but all up or down

Have fun , should be a nice night for it

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lomond it was. And very nice it was too.

SSTTRRRAAAAVVVAAAAAHHHH

Probably better riding in the suggestions above but happy to get to see the Loch

didgerman
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it. You’re right, better riding the other way, but it’s a view ticked off innit. Yon bonnie banks and all that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road Ride from Glasgow Airport’ is closed to new replies.