Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road related query: stems
  • Taff
    Free Member

Just acquired a mint condition Giant Peloton 7200 (2 rides since 1999!) but I need to change a few bits. Not really up to date with road bikes but seems quill stems aren’t sold anymore 🙄 Watching a few on eBay but failing that is using a ahead stem and a quill adapter actually any good? I would presume the adapter would weigh quite a bit to begin with which isthe only downfall I can think of.

Also got a Shimano Hyperglide rear cassette. I’ve had a look on Sheldons site and he says it can but thought that a 8,9&10 speeds were a bit wider than a 7speed. Might be wrong though.

willyboy
    Free Member

Quill adaptor and aheadstem here. Works fine. I think Planet X may have some new old stock quill stems left if you want one.

jimc101
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with A-Head converters.

If you want to change the stem, then you will probably need new bar tape, as this will need to come off to take the quill stem off.

For the cassette, 7 speed cassettes can fit on any 8/9/10 speed
    Shimano hub, but you will need a spacer for it to fit correctly.

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Muffin man – hadn’t tried Evans typically. Think I’ll go down the adapter route and use a proper stem. Need to ride the bike first to see how I get on with the existing length.

Jimc101 – it’s currently 7speed and I want to put 8 or 9 speed on eventually. If not possible then it’s not the end o the world

geoffj

Some 7 speed cassetes are screw on. Probably best to check before ordering parts.

the-muffin-man

8 and 9 speed cassettes won’t fit on a 7 speed freehub body, its too narrow.

Taff
    Free Member

Hyperglide so it’s a slide on and looking nut. Thanks muffinman

andylakes

Got a brand new adapter if you want one!
    A

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Er, mountain bike forum – who cares…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road related query: stems’ is closed to new replies.