Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • road: recommend me some saddles and shorts
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

66 miles on the bike today, SDG Bel air with Endura clicky shorts. I’m skinny so feel like I could do with more between me and the bike. Quite uncomfortable after about 50 miles!

I’m thinking gel shorts, but then I’ve seen loads of bib-shorts online. Are they as popular as the shop stocks would suggest?

Also hoping it’s the shorts and not the saddle as I really like the Bel-air (one on the mtb too).

Cheers!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

assos bib shorts were the best investment i’ve ever made..

HermanShake
    Free Member

What’s the deal with bibs vs shorts? Isn’t it just more to get sweaty under?

MrSmith
    Free Member

a belair is not great on the road. everyone is different but a toupe/aliente/regale would be a good place to start.

assos,santini good for bibs.

Haze

Bibs are sometimes meshed, not especially sweaty.

Decent bib shorts are way better than those Enduras, well worth the investment.

I have Gore, pretty comfortable and very supportive. Will probably try Assos in the future, think I might be able to justify the price tag by then!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

you get sweaty through lycra, not under it 😉

bibs are a bit more comfortable as they don’t have a tight waist, and stay up all the time obviously..

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a flite carbonio and a tundra I’m selling if you fancy either of those.

bagpuss
    Free Member

If Assos is a bit expensive then I get on well with Spesh BG bib shorts and I’ve found little wrong with Endura FS260 Pro bib shorts.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

+1 for the Endura FS260. I also find Giordana shorts good. Recently got a pair of DHB Aeron Pro bibs from Wiggle which are excellent although not quite as comfortable for me as the Giordanas. Don’t go by the pad thickness when judging shorts. For instance my Giordanas hve a thinner pad than the DHBs but are more comfortable.

Saddles are a personal thing. I like the San Marco Ponza but I know others hate it.

anto164
    Free Member

What’s the deal with bibs vs shorts? Isn’t it just more to get sweaty under?

I’ll answer this one properly.

If you’re wearing the correct clothing, you’ll be no more sweaty.

The point of bibs are 2fold.

Firstly it is to stop anything digging and gripping arount the stomach area, possibly making you breathe easier (If you breathe properly through your whole lungs, not your chest)

Secondly, the straps keep the pad in place, and you don’t get the saggy arse syndrome that shorts can give.

But yeh, bibs are ace. (And therefore more popular and have a wider choice)

As for saddles and shorts, they’re all personal choices. Saddles – Get your arse measured and pick a saddle that fits. Also, shorts are very personal too, some people perfer bigger pads, some smaller, some thinner and some thicker. It’s a case of trying some on and getting what is comfortable .You’ll know what is good before walking out of the shop.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Saddles are a personal choice, but gel intech Santini Bib shorts are the best I have ever ridden in!

RoterStern
    Free Member

There really is no competition for the Assos shorts ATM IMO. They do cost a fortune but they simply are miles ahead of the competition in terms of comfort.

As for saddles I have had no problems with Selle Italia SLRs,flites and Spesh Toupe and Phenoms.

edhornby

I have just done coast to coast on my road bike in 2 days, charge spoon and didn’t think twice about the saddle, comfy – but it depends on the width and shape of your ar$e bones

prendas for bibs

anto164
    Free Member

TBH, i bought a spoon and thought it was horrible. Gave it a few weeks riding on it and it actually ‘broke in’. Feels rather comfy now.

mrmo
    Free Member

currently using and SLR 135g on my road bike and a few sets of 4 year old Assos mille’s so yes they are expensive but they do last.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I had a Spesh toupe on my Langster, it took some getting used to but was not what I would call comfortable!

Also, ahem, chamois cream. This mythical condiment I have heard/joked about in the past is now something I’m considering. What I’ve read is that it reduces friction and prevents chafing wet skin (rain/sweat) and therefore sore spots. Seems like a good idea to me.

topangarider
    Free Member

Lusso Gel bib shorts here – best shorts I’ve had.

Whatever brand – bib shorts are far more comfy for long miles.

mboy
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    a belair is not great on the road. everyone is different but a toupe/aliente/regale would be a good place to start.

I’ve had Bel Airs for a few years now on mountain bikes, wouldn’t even consider one on a road bike as they’re way too soft. They give you comfort on an MTB over relatively bumpy stuff cos they’re soft, and the shape is pretty good, but they’re totally wrong for comfort on a road bike precisely because they’re soft. You will chafe very quickly!

Trying out a Spesh Romin at the moment myself, firm as you like, and not immediately comfy by a long stretch, but it seems no less comfy after 2-3 hours than it did to start with… If that makes sense?

unovolo
    Free Member

Quite happy with some DHB bibs from Wiggle ,and some Santini ones too.

Got some Sportful ones which are adequate.

Personally my arse must be old skool as it gets on very well with a Brooks B17,Selle Turbo and a “Selle Monte Grappa Corsa Canard” to give it its full name from Planet X.

BadlyWiredDog

Saddles – Get your arse measured and pick a saddle that fits.

Really? Other than Specialized with their multiple widths. Who else does this?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘road: recommend me some saddles and shorts’ is closed to new replies.