• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road rash
  • misterduncan
    Free Member

Ended up skidding on my arse down the Bristol Bath railway path this morning, after hitting a greasy patch while riding too fast.

Knee and elbow took a big hit, but I have a big nasty patch of road rash on my hip near my arse and it stings like hell (don’t worry – bike is OK, apart from tattered grip tape and some superficial scrapes on the brakes)

Any top tips beyond the standard savlon?

pirahna
    Free Member

Make sure it’s thoroughly clean, Detol and a wire brush works best.

PJ266
    Free Member

Rub a lime over and into it. Trust me it feels great.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

MTFU and give it s good scrub

misterduncan
    Free Member

Sympathy from the night shift! 🙂

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get some hydrogen peroxide and splash it all over……..only for real men!!….lol

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

any top tips beyond the standard savlon?

I was told not to use savlon as once the antibacterial stuff has worn off, its just a gloopy mess sitting on an open wound.

The nurse put a honey dressing on my road rash which was great, kept it infection free and healed it up well (hardly any scaring 6 weeks later).

FuzzyWuzzy

There’s three different ways of dealing with road rash IME (after making sure the wound is thoroughly cleaned)
    1). Put some antiseptic stuff on it (powder/cream/spray) and stick a gauze pad over it. Change gauze pad daily and it should eventually heal. I never have any luck with this as the wound is kept moist and changing the gauze pad removes the healing gunk just as it’s starting to heal over.
    2). As above but use powder and don’t put a gauze pad over it, let it dry out. Only use a dry gauze pad overnight to stop sticking to your sheets if really needed. This method lets it scab over quickly and IME heals much faster than the above method but seems it not the recommended (medically) way of doing it, more likely to scar to.
    3). Use expensive hydrocolloid dressings, these cover (and form a seal) over the wound and are left for several days without changing, this allows the healing gunk to get to work properly. The problem I’ve had with this is keeping the dressing on (especially annoying when showering and have resorted to taping plastic bags over wounds to stop them getting wet). I usually give up after a few days and go back to option 2.

growinglad
    Free Member

Man up and look forward to picking the scabs 😉

I actually have sympathy…currently dealing with a weeping road rash to the knee that splits every time I bend…knelt in some sand on Sunday….enjoyed wiping that out!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Clean it thoroughly, apply Sudocrem. Repeat daily.

hooli

Avoid the lemon and lime shower gel and don’t expect sympathy from her indoors – you will be told that it was your own fault for riding that bloody thing and you could have really hurt yourself and then she would be the one who has to deal with it and miss her night out. etc.

😆

Drac

Go to a minor injuries unit to get it cleaned and dressed properly, dermatitis isn’t a pleasant thing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road rash’ is closed to new replies.