Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • Road rage video
  • samuri
    Free Member

Oh and what’s with all the negative comments about the cyclist – what exactly did he do to deserve that?

No-one has ever suggested he deserved it or it was an appropriate response. The only comments I can see about the cyclists behaviour is that there are things he could have done that would have avoided this confrontation. Personally I didn’t think the horn blowing was a problem but he does say something to the van driver at the start and as I suggested, for all we know he was riding down the road making constant hand signals at him.

Yes, he should be able to vent his spleen without any physical retribution, I totally agree, but the point of the matter that everyone else seems to understand is that we share our world with people like this who can’t control their anger. You can continue to try winding them up and accept that sometimes it’ll go wrong or spend as little time worrying about them as possible.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I don’t have a commute but if I did I’d have a helmet cam. There’s no shortage of angry people out there with insufficient self control or regard for civilised behaviour. Shame the cyclist wasn’t a martial arts type or off duty copper….

stufive
    Free Member

Cant see the video was it removed?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

The camera gives you balls. You cycle along for two weeks and don’t record any incidents so you start to court conflict. When that doesn’t work you fit an air zound and then stop and argue with people in cars rather than just keeping out of trouble and letting morons get on with their lives.

edit: Plus, when you have a near miss you rush home to watch the footage, ever so excited that you can show it everyone and on the camera it just doesn’t look that bad.

bails

The camera gives you balls. You cycle along for two weeks and don’t record any incidents so you start to court conflict. When that doesn’t work you fit an air zound and then stop and argue with people in cars rather than just keeping out of trouble and letting morons get on with their lives.

Edit: actually, do you work for west Midlands police? It would explain the daft aattitude.

aracer
    Free Member

That was also West Midlands Police, and wasn’t even given the choice of a caution. It was just “We can get him to write a letter saying sorry, but we won’t bother doing any more than that. Also, there’s nothing wrong with the driving.”

There does seem to be a trend here. I went to my local police to complain about a driver (the car came too close, I instinctively moved left, which is a good job as otherwise I’d have been hit by the caravan – though it was their insistence that I was in the wrong rather than them when I caught them up which led me to report). My local force is West Mercia, however when they checked on the driver it turned out he lived in the West Midlands police area. I was told that if he was in our police area they’d pay him a home visit, but not worth bothering to pass on to West Mids as they’d ignore it.

There must surely be a means of complaining about your police force failing to take action? Am I correct in thinking that if somebody punched you in the street they’d pay more attention and that it’s being a cyclist which makes you a lower life form not deserving of protection?

miketually
    Free Member

The Weird N Wonderful Ltd Twitter and Facebook pages have both disappeared since this went round on Twitter earlier…

http://weirdnwonderfulltd.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/wnwltd
    http://www.facebook.com/WeirdNWonderfulltd

The original video has been taken down but it’s at FP07KJN – Road Rage Assault on Cyclist FP07 KJN too.

samuri
    Free Member

You’re an idiot.

Fill me in then fella, why? I before you do that, go search on youtube for Londoncyclist and his ilk and watch them shouting at everyone who they see.

aracer
    Free Member

Cant see the video was it removed?

I presume the driver or his wife (who owns the pet shop) complained and got it removed – though it doesn’t actually break youtube conditions at all, hence it’s been reposted – here’s the link I gave earlier (though this one doesn’t embed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqBtcjOIc8

user-removed
    Free Member

You can continue to try winding them up and accept that sometimes it’ll go wrong or spend as little time worrying about them as possible.

Sorry, but that’s nonsense. At what point does the cyclist wind up the van driver? So far as I can see, the cyclist is ‘just riding along’ and from the way his camera moves it’s clear he’s very aware of his surroundings. The undertake is slightly embarrassing, but nothing more. A decision made on the hoof. No biggie.

bails

Fill me in then fella, why? I before you do that, go search on youtube for Londoncyclist and his ilk and watch them shouting at everyone who they see.

Read my post on my assault. Was that my fault? Do I have an airzound? Do I pick fights?

Ever thought that the only people with cams you notice are the shouty ones? The ones who just quietly get on with stuff don’t put everything on YT after chasing down drivers so you don’t see them. Likewise, the shouty idiots without cameras don’t put anything on YT because they haven’t recorded it, so again you don’t see them. You only see the ones who are shouty AND have cams do your wrongly assume that every person with a cam is a shouty idiot.

miketually
    Free Member

Looking at the channel of the original poster of the video (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackCountryBikeCam), he does kind of live up to the stereotype of the camera-toting bike commuter.

aracer
    Free Member

The only comments I can see about the cyclists behaviour is that there are things he could have done that would have avoided this confrontation.

Ooh, how about:

You cycle along for two weeks and don’t record any incidents so you start to court conflict. When that doesn’t work you fit an air zound and then stop and argue with people in cars

martinhutch

They sell those hoodies on their website, so it doesn’t mean that angry shorty bloke is an employee, he could simply be reptilian in his own time.

miketually
    Free Member

Ooh, how about:

You cycle along for two weeks and don’t record any incidents so you start to court conflict. When that doesn’t work you fit an air zound and then stop and argue with people in cars

That was a general point Samuri made, not specifically about this video. Although, it’s a pretty good description of some of his other videos…

stufive
    Free Member

Im not sure horns are a great idea they do atract the wrong kind of attention sometimes but that guy just has the look of someone who would start a fight with anything that moves, he also seems to have lost two carpets somewhere judging by the way he walks 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Sorry, but that’s nonsense. At what point does the cyclist wind up the van driver?

Precisely, this is what I said at the start, there’s more to this than we know. Think about it. From what we can see, the cyclist hasn’t done anything to wind the guy up. We see an undertake of stationary traffic which is hardly likely to cause major offence and then the next step is he blows his horn. That guy was out of his van in a shot. He hasn’t suddenly decided to do that, something has wound him up to that point.

samuri
    Free Member

And as Mike says, I’ve actually looked through his other videos. This is what he does. Again, I don’t see anything like this as acceptable behaviour towards the cyclist but if you’d researched, you’d see that he does exactly what I said above, he fitted he camera and it appears to have given him balls.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s more discussion of this incident, including by the victim, at http://www.birminghamcyclist.com/forum/topics/assaulted?id=3004025%3ATopic%3A97062

stufive
    Free Member

Driver. Cyclist. Happy to share the road as either.
    Why would you have that in your (about me) section of a profile?

user-removed
    Free Member

something has wound him up to that point.

. Possibly, but some people are just permanently wound up and spoiling for some fist pie action. Perhaps he has a teething child at home? Perhaps his wife is sleeping around? Perhaps a cyclist stuck his fingers up at him.

None of these excuse his behaviour. Totally unacceptable, no question.

miketually
    Free Member

I still don’t see the relevance of anything the cyclist did. Normal people don’t jump out of their vehicle and go and assault somebody no matter what hand gestures they make. Or are you suggesting there’s something else we’re missing which has been cunningly edited out?

I don’t think anyone’s denying that the driver’s a dick.

martinhutch

Either he’s standing on a box or she’s about four foot.

samuri
    Free Member

None of these excuse his behaviour. Totally unacceptable, no question.

And I totally agree with this. The point is there are idiots/people who are on edge/don’t like cyclists out there and you should avoid coming in contact with them as best as you can in a basic risk avoidance approach.

This cyclist doesn’t take seem to that approach.

bails

Precisely, this is what I said at the start, there’s more to this than we know. Think about it. From what we can see, the cyclist hasn’t done anything to wind the guy up. We see an undertake of stationary traffic which is hardly likely to cause major offence and then the next step is he blows his horn. That guy was out of his van in a shot. He hasn’t suddenly decided to do that, something has wound him up to that point.

I can say from personal experience that the van driver’s reaction is entirely believable. A small % of people simply have an incredibly short fuse, some of those people will inevitably end up on the road.

Yes, some of his other videos seem a bit OTT but that has nothing to do with this attack.

project
    Free Member

little angry man ,driving litle white insignificant van, gets angry with fit cyclist.

SHOCKER.

samuri
    Free Member

I can say from personal experience that the van driver’s reaction is entirely believable. A small % of people simply have an incredibly short fuse, some of those people will inevitably end up on the road.

Must be a southern thing then. I ride 30 miles a day, every day and while have had many incidents, I have never seen anyone get that wound up that quickly with no provocation.

anagallis_arvensis

My experience of living on this earth is if you get involved in handbags with van drivers you need to be prepared to stop and stare them down or run like **** and dont get caught. This bloke did neither.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Looks like the meeting of two dickheads to me. Van driver was out if order and the cyclist has no consideration for other road users as can be seen from his helmet cam that not once does look to see if he needs to give way to other road users just tunnel vision and sod everyone else.

aracer
    Free Member

Looks like the meeting of two dickheads to me.

Yeah – see how the cyclist gets stuck into the van driver.

dogbert
    Free Member

His behaviour was unacceptable. It could have all ended a lot worse.

To be fair though, you could have waited a second more for the parker to park rather than cutting on front of the van. And the guy in the van overtakes you so you slam on the air horn.

Both as bad as each other.

Also can’t see the point of dragging the van drivers missus into the argument?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Even if the drivers wearing the company livery of her business?

dogbert
    Free Member

Even if the drivers wearing the company livery of her business?

Does she use her wedding photos as her business logo? Naming and shaming’s all fine and well, but if it’s been dealt with by the police, then it’s between the police, the cyclist and the van driver. Trying to bring down the womens business is hardly in the interest of the case.

Having had a look at the other videos, the cyclist is not exactly sticking to all the laws of the road either.

Perhaps if cyclists AND drivers concentrated on being less confrontational during one of these incidents rather than having a willy waving competition to see who can get the last word in, they wouldn’t become violent or threatening

bails

Both as bad as each other.

Really?! Filtering and using the horn when someone makes a bad overtake is just as bad as chasing someone down, dragging them off their bike and punching them?

Could the cyclist have done some things that would have meant this didn’t happen? Yes.

Was he as bad as the van driver? No.

Would any reasonable human being behave like the van driver given the actions of the cyclists? Absolutely not.

inkster
    Free Member

We can all be dickheads from time to time.

Not all of us are violent thugs though.

The law is as big an ass as the driver. The driver lied to the police, then backtracked when told of the video evidence. Double guilty, should be banned from driving and sent to anger management course at the very least.

pingu66
    Free Member

Not sure that the posting of the wedding pic really adds anything, after all as was said earlier he must be standing on a box if its the same guy. I would be surprised if the owner of the shop wants to be drawn into this or would condone this behavior no matter who the individual is. After all if they sell those tops on line it could be anybody not necessarily associated with the business.

aracer
    Free Member

if it’s been dealt with by the police, then it’s between the police, the cyclist and the van driver

What if it hasn’t been dealt with (properly) by the police, as is the case here?

Not sure that the posting of the wedding pic really adds anything, after all as was said he must be standing on a box if its the same guy. I would be surprised if the owner of the shop want to be drawn int this or would condone this behavior no matter who the individual is. After all if they sell those tops on line it could be anybody not necessarily associated with the business.

Er, the point of the pic was that the chap in the pic is the chap in the video, the chappess in the pic is the owner of the shop who’s hoody he’s wearing in the video. Incidentally they also both share a surname. Oh, and the van was pulling away from in front of the shop during business hours. You’re right – it could just be anybody not associated with the business.

I agree that a witch hunt against the business is out of order, but maybe she should state that such behaviour is unacceptable from people associated with her rather than try to claim the bloke is nothing to do with her (as she did on the business FB page before closing it).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it just me for whom the op’s link says “video removed”?

dogbert
    Free Member

Really?!

Yes, really.

This is just another case of polar opposites with the same “this is my bit of the road and **** everyone else” attitude that escalated into violence.

The cyclist is as much of a dick as the van driver.

My honest opinion going by some of his other videos. Sit and pick it to bits of you want.

aracer
    Free Member

No al – try the other video links I’ve given.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Road rage video’ is closed to new replies.