• This topic has 36 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Road rage incident – have I just made it worse?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Leaving aside all details, at the end of Wednesday night’s ride, I had a brief exchange of words with a car driver who then “assaulted” me – more a “technical” assault rather than broken bones and blood, but it was assault.

I wasn’t going to go to the Police, but due to some of his actions in the course of this, I agreed that the guy needed to be spoken to and reported it to the local beat officer, although I can’t see the point prosecuting him.

They have now identified the driver – having a very distinctive personal number plate no doubt helped – and they are suddenly very keen to go and have a chat with him.

I have a nagging doubt that I may well have upset the local nutter who will now have it in for me and other cyclists, which isn’t quite what I envisaged….

Reassure me that I did the right thing!

Jamie
    Free Member

You did the right thing.

Rather you that me though 😉

…seriously. Apart from knowing your face, the guy will not know your name, address or anything like that so I wouldn’t worry.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Is this him?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

guessing they’re “suddenly very keen” for a chat as similar behaviour’s been reported before

– or the guy’s local mafia 😯

Ambrose

You did the right thing.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

He might have previous, if the police are keen to follow up. So if it helps in him getting the wind put up him or his collar felt you’ll have done the right thing.

I can see where you’re coming from but as Jamie says there’s not much to worry about really.

Garry_Lager

You certainly did do the right thing. If he is the local nutter, though, rather than a normal person who just lost their temper, then I can see your concern.

This brand of imbecile isn’t really going to change, so the idea that he’ll bear a grudge and go and run over a kid cycling their bike, or something similar, is unsettling. However, we can’t go round being afraid of doing the right thing, on the basis that we don’t want to upset the dickheads of society. That way lies madness. So you definitely did well to report him.

Drac

You did the right thing as said, yes I can understand your worry but you still did right. The Police may just have a nice quiet word which might be enough for him to realise what a dick he was.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you do get any blowback then just set the STW posse onto him.

Nothing strikes the fear of god into someone, like hundreds of IT middle managers banging on about anodised wheel hubs.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yep right thing, have a pat on the back

allthepies
    Free Member

Normally with this type once he’d tracked you down, decapitated you and carried your head around town on a stick for a few days they get bored and move on to something else.

Grimy
    Free Member

Your doing the right thing, see it through.

We can’t go round being afraid of doing the right thing, on the basis that we don’t want to upset the dickheads of society. That way lies madness. So you definitely did well to report him.

Completely agree. Personaly I found backing down and letting idiots like that get away with stuff through fear of reprisal will do more damage to your soul than they could ever do to me physically, as the anger at their actions and the lack of my courage eat away at you inside knowing they think they can do as they please and get away with it.

gb1m
    Free Member

Do you really think he will care that plod is going to have a word with him, he’s probaly got away with alot worse.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

oldnpastit

He’s probably sensible enough to know that it wouldn’t be long between having another go at you and being charged with assault, losing his license and who knows what else.

EDIT: at least the only time I ever went to the police, the guy was prosecuted and I never heard from him again.

project
    Free Member

Just imagine youre new to cycling , bit nervous on the road, and the samne thug had a go at you, and it put you off cycling………………..

You did the right thing, and just possibly he will be prosecuted for the offence.

Whats a technical assault then.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Number plate : KN03HED?

You did the right thing. He needs the hard word.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have taken to riding on the pavements during my commute very due to the aggresive driving that I’m seeing.

You did the right thing.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You need to stand up to people otherwise he will continually think what he did was right! As already said he may be known to the police so they wante extra “excuses” to go and see him. However if he does do anything to intimidate you then I would be straight back round t oteh police. If it was witness intimidation (it wouldn’t be unless there were proceedigns) then it’s deemed (often) far more serious than the original offence. Chin up smiling, you did the right thing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what the rest said yes it was the right thing to do
    Listen to the copper above,they must know more than anyone else on here
    For the triumph of evil all that is necessary is that good people do nothing
    Well done you
    Ps if it gets nasty I have wee and bombers

MoreCashThanDash

Well, news just in…..

The guy was interviewed at the station, admitted striking me, and has apologised via the police officer.

He said that he went for me as I was approaching him in a “threatening manner with my hands up towards him”.

I have accepted this to bring the matter to a close – he’s been spoken to and has a warning against him. The police are happy as they have a detected crime on their stats, and the tax payer hasn’t had to pay for a prosecution and trial.

The only niggle I have is that his excuse is a complete damn lie, and I have witnesses to prove it but the police have never even asked for the witness details.

The guy threatened me while sat in his car, which I ignored, he got out the car and threatened me, which I ignored, he stood a foot in front of me and threatened me, which I ignored, and then he pushed me into a hedge, which I ignored.

Then he got into his car, went to drive off, stopped, reversed back, got out the car and did it all again.

Still, I’m not the one who was called into the station to be questioned, so I think I’ve made my point

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wouldnt have let it go that easily.

MrOvershoot

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

I wouldnt have let it go that easily.

Me neither, usually I’m a happy go lucky sort of person, but if someone takes the piss and lies then I go green and rip my shirt

juiced
    Free Member

You did the right thing. Just be a bit nore vigilant and maybe change your route a bit if you can for a bit.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I’d have acted exactly as you did. Until he backed up and came back for a 2nd helping. At that point, you are well within your rights to use “reasonable force ” to protect yourself.
    I would have used my martial arts training to subdue the assailant in this instance.
    And maybe given him a couple of digs to teach him a lesson in the process, if I’m honest.
    But he’s a bully that needs a lesson in manners, so **** him and the horse he rode in on.

Lifer
    Free Member

Is that you John Wayne?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

My grandfather was the spitting image of John Wayne actually, so I guess I’m just carryng on his tradition. I’ll post a pic when I can.

I just look like a Crimewatch E fit. So I ‘ll not post a pic of myself.lol

Jamie
    Free Member

Is that you John Wayne Chuck Norris?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

He’s my cousin. No, sorry that’s Sean Morris. It sounds similar though.
    I do have have cousin called Sean Morris, but he’s too fat and lazy to kick ass.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Next…

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Don’t not post, or I’ll just get angry and…….. fekin ooooh….. do something.

MoreCashThanDash

LOL @ skyline – it crossed my mind that I might need to use my martial arts training at some point, but given that I quit training around the year he was born, it was probably better to let him blow himself out.

Besides, I had two mates with me, and they’d have stepped in if it had got really silly, wouldn’t you guys?

Guys?……..GUYS?!!!

Basil

Careful, he may have had a picnic knife

nocashlessdash
    Free Member

You should have let me know – I’d have brought the Didsbury massive along and told him that if he didn’t behave we’d find ways to prevent him getting a latte ever again (does that sort of threat only work over here?). Seriously, you did the right thing. Anyone can lose their rag in the heat of the moment, but the guy came back for a second go…that isn’t just acting on impulse! As a society we’ve become scared beyond reason – it doesn’t seem that long ago that the very idea of a visit from the plod would have been enough to put the wind up most people…especially if they’re as young as you’re saying!!

Incidentally, hope you’re ok…

devs
    Free Member

So you’re a jap slapping ninja and you allowed a bawbag to push you into a hedge twice despite your pals being there? He’ll be wearing that warning as a badge of honour telling anyone who listens how he pwned 3 lycra louts. Defence fail. Report success. 5/10

Junkyard
    Free Member

i admire your restraint but tbh at the second point I would have done something and why you accepted you were aggressive when you were not [ and with witnesses] is lost on me.

MoreCashThanDash

I never accepted that I was aggressive – he was given the warning for his behaviour, as far as the Police were concerned, the case was solved then.

The officer knows my views on the matter, the guy has had his card marked, it’s not worth making it worse over what was, in the grander scheme of crime in this country, just handbags.

NCLD – you live in Didsbury, one half of your username is clearly incorrect…..

Aidy
    Free Member

Definitely did the right thing.
    Went through something similar a few days ago and I’ve given a report and left it in police hands too.

We’ll see what happens…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Road rage incident – have I just made it worse?’ is closed to new replies.