Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road Racing
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Never done it but fancy giving it a go, despite recognising I’ll get battered and/or killed.

Not interested in joining a cycling club*, so is it still possible to enter some cat z race somewhere??

(*I have enough riding mates and do quite a bit on my own as I have to get it when i can due to young family.)

crazy-legs

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roadst_Get-Into-Road-Racing

You don’t need to be a member of a club, you don’t even need to be a member of British Cycling – for the first few races you can get by on a Day Licence which is an extra £10 on top of the entry fee.

If you’re racing regularly then you’ll probably end up joining BC and getting a Racing Licence but you can still do it without being a member of a club. Just be aware that some road races in particular will offer preferential entry to riders who are members of local clubs so can occasionally be more difficult to get a place.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well i’d make sure you are confident riding in a group.Road and crit racing can be quite scary when there are riders who aren’t used to riding so close around 25-30mph

damitamit
    Free Member

Riding with a club usually gives you the group riding skills/awareness to start road racing IMO.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Riding with a club usually gives you the group riding skills/awareness to start road racing IMO.

+1

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you are old therefore the LVRC is for you

also CDNW events, but you may need to be a memeber of an affiliated club as marshalling duties also required

make sure you have a map so you can find you way back when they drop you 😉

nikxl
    Free Member

I’d go down the TLI route if I were you, age related well under and over 50s, a bit more accessible and cheaper.
    As said above LVRC another option. Don’t waste your money on CDNW you’ll have to remortgage your house to register and enter.

mrmo
    Free Member

are you happy riding in a group and banging elbows?

How much time have you spent riding on wheels.

If the answer to either is negative, i would very strongly suggest joining a club, discovering in a race that you aren’t happy in a bunch is not only dangerous for you but those around you.

sl2000

Not interested in joining a cycling club

On a trial basis that’s fine – but if you like it you’ll need to join a club in order to do your share of marshalling etc.

MrSmith
    Free Member

also not being in a club puts you at a bit of a disadvantage when racing, it’s you against groups of riders who will work for each other.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road Racing’ is closed to new replies.