• This topic has 44 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • (Road) race fit jackets
  • jonba
    Free Member

My riding these days is tending towards fast and/or long. Either on the road, XC bike or CX bike.

Does anybody make a not stupidly expensive race fit waterproof jacket.

I have softshells and windproofs which is fine for short blasts of a few hours but it looks like my ride tomorrow is going to be 4-5 hours of rain. I have couple of jackets for mountainbiking and commuting but they are like sails so not great on the road in the wind.

jam-bo

gore path.

mooman
    Free Member

Too waterproof means too hot/sweaty. Which means you get just as wet inside from all the sweat.
    I find wind proof garments keep you warmer. The wind chill is what gets you more often than the wet.
    The Gabba is showerproof at best. But it’s superbly wind proof, so keeps you warming even when it’s wet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

🙂

will
    Free Member

I use the Rapha Imperial Works limited edition jacket. Essentially same as their rain jacket, very nice fit in both the body and arms, and is waterproof. Doesn’t fit you’re cheap requirement, however I would say it’s worth it.

Sam

I have a Gore Oxygen jacket in GoreTex Active material. Waterproof, fits perfectly, well made and moderately breathable – if you want all of those things it’s not going to be cheap too…

nemesis
    Free Member

As a caveat to moorman, it depends. If you’re a sweaty type (as I am) then he’s spot on. If not then ‘proper’ waterproof can be better.

LS
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen GT AS – slim fit, long arms, drop tail, completely waterproof for 5hrs+ and still breathable, best jacket I’ve ever owned. No, it’s not cheap but you get what you pay for I guess.
    I’ve also got a couple of Gabba/Tempest jerseys and although great at what they do, if you want to stay dry you need a proper waterproof.

nemesis
    Free Member

Proper waterproofs don’t keep me dry…

gary

Gore Oxygen here too. Most breathable jacket I’ve used but obviously it can still get sweaty dependent on how hot you run and its a nice snug fit to avoid the annoying sail effect.

globalti
    Free Member

I have a Castelli Sottile rain cape, which is made from thin stretchy material and fits snugly like a giant condom. I bought it as a lightweight “get me home” jacket for Saturday rides but wore it last summer for the London 100 that was shortened to 86 miles due to the arrival of the hurricane from America. Against my expectations I stayed dry in absolutely biblical rain and not really sweaty either, it’s an amazing jacket.

(Mind you the route was flat so I didn’t sweat much. It might have been a different story here in East Lancs where we don’t have flat roads.)

nemesis
    Free Member

Are you a sweater, globalti, just that a quick look of reviews of that jacket seem to often say it’s not very breatheable and people are getting soaked inside.

nickc

On road rides I hate being cold, don’t mind wet and warm as a combo, but wet and and cold or just cold, horrible. So when I know it’s going to be minging, I use a Rapha Pro Team Jacket either with or without a base layer, and then I’ve a DHB Cosmo that’s nice and streamlined, and packs down pretty small for longer rain showers. I’ve also an Endura Windchill that I use on MTB in place of the Rapha jacket and do the same thing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Agree with nickc, being wet isn’t so bad as long as you’re warm so I just go for layers I know will be ok if they get wet, e.g. a decent merino base, and a windproof. But then I’d probably not go out for more than a couple of hours if the weather’s that bad.

I’d have a look at the Sportful Survival jacket too, looks like it might fit the bill. Proper GoreTex jacket with a pro race cut. 120 quid with 40% off at wiggle.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Endura Helium here. Basic, lightweight, snug fit, not killer expensive. Does the job!

somafunk

There’s a good review on jackets in the new grit cx mag

iainc

I got a Sportful Fiandre NoRain jacket before Christmas and it has been ideal – breathable, waterproof unless prolonged heavy rain, good for very cold (with good base layer) up to around 12 deg with thin base.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Another vote for Endura Helium although it needs to be sub 10c to use it wirh a thinniah baselayer. Just bought an Endura fs260 waterproof gilet for warmer days as im not bothered if my arms get wet as long as core warm and dry.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Just bought a Gore Oxygen jacket off Rutland for £90 – thanks chaps! Now showing out of stock – hoping I got the last one. Wiggle has the small for £100 still. Looks like they’ve brought our a 2.0 version so selling off the old ones cheap.

scotroutes

The Gore Oxygen is the “raciest” cut I’ve seen in a jacket. So much so that you’ll think it doesn’t fit when you first try it on. It all fits into place when you’re on the bike though.

twinklydave

Got one of these a couple of months ago. Pretty impressed with it so far. Close enough cut, doesn’t weigh much, more breathable than I expected (though obviously thrashing up a hill at full pelt will still cause sweatiness) and can be stuffed in a jersey pocket easily enough

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Madison Apex.

APEX

REVIEW

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d have a look at the Sportful Survival jacket too, looks like it might fit the bill. Proper GoreTex jacket with a pro race cut. 120 quid with 40% off at wiggle.

Well having pointed it out I went and got one, too much of a bargain to miss. Just in time for the return of the nice weather so can’t comment on how it works but it’s a nice bit of kit and the fit seems spot on.

jonba
    Free Member

I tried on a few sportful jackets and the sleeves were too short on the large. Getting anything bigger defeats the point of race fit as I normally get medium short sleeve jerseys. I’m going to have a look at a gabba and a Sottile as well as the gore stuff next time I’m near any bike shops. Spending that much I want a good fit.

Galibier do two interesting jackets, anyone tried those?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Castelli Sottile

Worst bit of clothing I’ve ever bought, evaaaa. I’m including every single piece of clothing I’ve bought in my entire life. Horrible, doesn’t breath whatsoever, at all, no nothing.. I don’t actually know if it’s waterproof or not as I sweat so badly in it I can’t tell.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I tried on a few sportful jackets and the sleeves were too short on the large.

Curious that. I have long monkey arms and the medium fits just fine.

I’m going to have a look at a gabba

Love my gabba. Tight race fit. Windproof with a bit of showerproof. Ideal for spring weather. Not going to keep you dry if it tips it down but will keep you reasonably comfortable.

jonba
    Free Member

The sportful stuff wasn’t their high end range but it was all they had in the shop. I assume the bodyfit and stuff used by saxo-tinkoff is a bit racier and maybe a better cut.

I have long arms though, I struggle to find long enough sleeves for riding.

nickc

Windproof with a bit of showerproof. Ideal for spring weather. Not going to keep you dry if it tips it down but will keep you reasonably comfortable.

MrBlobby, I was looking at these, I understood that they were weatherproof, ie wind rain, snow, whatever. Certainly that’s what they seem to claim. Are they not at least waterproof?

mrblobby
    Free Member

MrBlobby, I was looking at these, I understood that they were weatherproof, ie wind rain, snow, whatever. Certainly that’s what they seem to claim. Are they not at least waterproof?

They’re just a windproof soft shell with a water resistant coating with the same cut as a race jersey.

Their description…

Windstopper® X-Lite Plus fabric for lightweight total wind protection with water-repellent finish

Water repellent works well in showers.

Designed/requested by a pro racer as something offering a bit more protection and warmth than a normal jersey with better aero performance than the usual race capes. And it does that very well.

nickc

Ohh, Ok, sounds very much like my Pro Team then. I was reading a fluff piece in the Rouler and they were making it sound like the one piece of clothing that could do all things for all men.

Ta

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well it is super versatile. When it’s not that warm but not that cold, bit of a chill in the breeze, might rain, might not… like most of the time in the UK… it’s a great option to go for. Seems to cope well with most things.

iainc

I fancied a Gabba but bought the Sportful Fiandre NoRain instead as a good bit cheaper for similar described performance.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a bit different, more a jacket than a jersey. Feels more heavyweight than a gabba. But then I do have the short sleeve gabba use it with arm warmers.

hilldodger
    Free Member

…Designed/requested by a pro racer

2 people I ride with have them, the one who is a “serious club roadie” loves it the one who rides “socially” thinks it’s useless.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Getting a bit off track but yes that sounds about right. I’d put myself mostly in the former category and love it. Nice and aero and cut like a race jersey but more protection from the elements without much extra bulk. Probably not something you’d want to wear for a coffee shop pootle though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve got the Sportful Fiandre NoRain jacket and think its bloody good. I use it an awful lot as it can be paired with various base layers from minus 8 to plus 8 very easily.

Quite fancy a Gabba too, but also like the look of the new Rapha Pro Team Softshell Base Layer as an under layer to my race kit for wet days:
    http://www.rapha.cc/se/en/shop/pro-team-softshell-base-layer/product/SHB01

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did see that and wondered how well having a softshell as a base would work as they tend to work best with a base layer under them otherwise they can feel a bit clammy.

Seen quite a few base layers with a windproof front, that seems like a pretty good idea though yet to try one.

hilldodger
    Free Member

that baselayer actually looks a good option, race jersey on top takes the crud so the DWR presumably works a bit better for not being gunged up.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah I agree blobby, however I’m prepared to give Rapha the benefit of doubt, and they also do have a return policy.

nickc

Saw it as well, interesting idea; a warmer base layer makes sense if you’ve a team jersey/club jersey to wear in all sorts of weather.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘(Road) race fit jackets’ is closed to new replies.