Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road pedals, what to buy ?
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Only used Look Keos, not that enamoured with them.
    Cleats dont last the crucial bit that holds the body on the axle is plastic and mine keeps undoing on one side and the thread is stripped.
    SO what to get ?
    Shimano
    Speedplay

Or is there any other alternative ?

DT78
    Free Member

My kheo carbons have been great for 2 seasons 4k miles….maybe you got a duff set?

sefton
    Free Member

speedplay for a few years…great, look good, a little strange at first.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Speedplay

crikey
    Free Member

Shimano 105s.

Road pedals get bashed about, so buying expensive ones is not a great idea.

tomhoward

Shimano at whatever budget suits.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

DT78 – Member

My kheo carbons have been great for 2 seasons 4k miles….maybe you got a duff set?
    They are in their 3rd season cleats bought last July have just snapped. done about 15k glad the rest of the bike is lasting more betterer

fubar
    Free Member

Shimano 105s.

…the new carbon ones

Jonny5
    Free Member

Speedplay user here, Had them a few years and get on well with them.

DT78
    Free Member

15k for a couple of sets of cleats sounds okay to me? Though I’ve only used look and I’m still on the first set

cynic-al
    Free Member

“thread is stripped” you need new shoe insert?

TiRed

KEO cleats are cheese, but my KEO Blades have been flawless. If I was starting again and didn’t have five bikes with KEOs, I’d go with Shimano next time. The cleats last longer and the pedals are easier to clip into.

petefromearth

I have the shimano a600 which work with normal cleats

Makes life easier with not needing road specific shoes, and they are actually lighter than a lot of the top end ones. I’m probably breaking a few rules but to me they look sufficiently “roadie” and they work well.

scaredypants

speedplay

frog

mtb shoes

(best for walking up the hills 🙁 )

Dales_rider
    Free Member

So I’m going to start looking at Shimano, thanks all.
    As for walking up hills, on some I may be faster 🙁

reggiegasket
    Free Member

A600s and carbon mtb shoes here too. Never got on with roadie pedals or the shoes.

dragon
    Free Member

TIME.

Shimano are Look copies at the end of the day, so if you don’t like Looks, then Shimano won’t offer much different.

edhornby

R540 SPD SL – currently about 20quid and that includes cleats, I can’t see why you’d bother with posh ones unless you want to lose 100g and are prepared to pay another hundred quid on dura-ace for the privilege (248g vs 330g)

will
    Free Member

Go for the Shimano PDR 550s – £30 on CRC at the moment and very good.

njee20
    Free Member

If I was starting again and didn’t have five bikes with KEOs, I’d go with Shimano next time. The cleats last longer and the pedals are easier to clip into.

This, albeit with fewer than 5 bikes. I used to use SPD-SLs, switched to Keos 10 years ago, but would get Shimanos if starting again. Bearings last longer, pedals last longer, cleats last longer, they’re easier to get into. They’re slightly heavier.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Dura Ace pedals would take it below the legal [6.8 kg] race limit, mind would match the group set.
    Thinking the Ultegra though for pockets sake.

mcnultycop

My R540 are my first ever clipless pedals (ride flats on the MTBs, only recently got a road bike) and I find them pretty difficult to clip into – I was looking for something easier to get into – I’m surprised to hear, relatively speaking, they are easy to clip into.

geoffj

As for walking up hills, on some I may be faster

Shimano road cleats are much softer than mtb cleats and will wear really quickly if you walk in the them.
    For the most durable (for walking option) look at speed play or stick with shimano mtg spds

dragon
    Free Member

I find them pretty difficult to clip into – I was looking for something easier to get into – I’m surprised to hear, relatively speaking, they are easy to clip into.

Road pedals really come from racing, so clipping in and out is not something you do regularly. Time’s latest pedal is supposed to address some of these issues, but not tired it so don’t know if it works in practise. Ultimately if you want easy of clipping in then get mtb style pedals, but they have the drawback of poor foot support.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Shimano.
    I’ve had Time for the last couple of years. They’re great to ride on, but bearings seem to last about 500 miles & can’t be replaced! ( on the xpresso anyway)
    Shimano last well, reliable, smooth, cleats last & are cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

Dura Ace pedals would take it below the legal [6.8 kg] race limit

Do you do many UCI races 😉

jamiea
    Free Member

Ultimately if you want easy of clipping in then get mtb style pedals

This +1

I use SPDs on the mountain bike, commuter and road bike with no problems.

, but they have the drawback of poor foot support.

I’ve not found it to be an issue, though I’ve not tried SPD SLs to compare! I’ve certainly not had any hot spots or owt even after 5 hours on the road bike.

Cheers,
    Jamie

jruk
    Free Member

Stick with MTB pedals – if they’re good enough for Emily Batty 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Do you do many UCI races

No but you never know 😉

weeble
    Free Member

I’ve got several sets of nearly new Time Carbon Iclic pedals with cleats for sale. Email (in profile) if your intrested

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals, what to buy ?’ is closed to new replies.