Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road pedals – Look or Shimano
  • lunge

Always been of the opinion that you have to have a very good reason not to go for Shimano in most things bike based. Any reason I should divert from this for a pair of road pedals or should I just go for a pair of 105’s

paddy0091
    Free Member

I’ve not used Shimano on the road before, but have used LOOK keo’s for years in races and crappy training conditions with no issues. Based on the fact their price has nearly doubled I got some Exustar PR100 for another bike(same as look KEO) – they are actually made under licence from Look and work pretty damn well.

Exustar E-PR100P Pedals

damo2576
    Free Member

General consensus is Shimano I think, can walk a bit easier on cleats, nice large support base, good click in, float if you need it etc etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I used Ultegra for a couple of years and then moved to Carbon Keos for a year or so. I can’t say I noticed any difference in comfort, power or play. However, the Keo cleats definitely wear faster and as they do, clipping in seems to become more difficult.

I’ve since gone back to the Ultegras and find I prefer the slightly more “positive” feeling when clipping in.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not really much difference, especially at the lower end of the ranges. I’d always used Shimano and Time road pedals until I switched to Speedplay Zeros, can’t see me ever going back…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use Look KEO’s and have had no prob’s at all. I’ve also used Shim 105’s on my Winter hack, no problems either.

Same as really but one’s lighter than the other.

lunge

Looks like Shimano it is then. Worth spending the extra on Ultegra over 105? Again, I suspect not but worth asking.

higgo
    Free Member

Worth spending the extra on Ultegra over 105? Again, I suspect not but worth asking.

I have Ultegra on my nice bike and Tiagra on my commuter. In use I can’t differentiate between them but the Ultegra are lighter (and match the other Ultegra bits on the bike).

So it depends how many grams you save, whether that saving is important to you and whether you could save more weight for the same price difference on another component.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals – Look or Shimano’ is closed to new replies.