Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road Pedals… Look Keo's vs SPD-SL's
  • mboy
    Free Member

So… What are the pro’s and con’s of each? Seems to me the Look’s are more expensive for what you get, but are they better? From the guys I ride road with, there seems as many if not more of them riding Look’s than Shimano pedals. Though in each case, they’re just sticking with what they know.

So I know the Look’s are lighter, can run different float cleats, and they’re more expensive. Is there much else to know?

Weighing up what to go for right now. I’ve just upgraded my road bike to 6700 Ultegra and so feel it really is time to take the MTB pedals off it, so am looking at 105/Ultegra SPD-SL’s against the Look Keo Max 2’s. Or is there anything else I should consider? Shoes will be SIDI Genius 5’s for what it’s worth.

scotroutes

I used Ultegras, Keo (Carbon) for about 18 months and switched back to Ultegras again last year.

I didn’t feel much difference in use. The Ultegras have a more positive “Click” and the cleats seem to last a lot longer (Look sell a cleat cover for the Keos). As the cleats wear, the Keos are more difficult to get into, the Ultegras seem more difficult to get out of 🙂

Happy to lend you my Keos if you want to try them (for the cost of postage).

moonwrasse
    Free Member

I ride on Look keo max 2 carbons. Really like them. Cleats soon wear down thou as they are plastic. Get through a set a season. Tip snapped of the last set. Just starting to get some bearing wear now in the spindle after 3 years. Few 1000 miles a year.
    The keo’s can be very slippery if they are the the wrong way round trying to clip in, say setting off at a junction etc.

If i was to replace my road pedals I would go with speedplays. They are double sided and have adjustable float. The adjustment is on the cleat not the pedal.

TiRed

Shimano are a little easier to clip into. Cleats last longer. Son1 uses them and I use Look. Both have cleat covers. Fwiw, I ride fixed on the road with Keos, and clip in first time 9/10 times (no coasting, remember ).

sputnik
    Free Member

Been using Ultrgras for about 4 years, borrowed some Keo Classics for the last month and liked them. Just bought some Keo carbon blades ( cro- mo spindles ) and love them. Nice big platform is noticeable, and clicks in very snappy ( 9/10 times here too!) can’t recommend them enough. 12 Nm spring btw.
    I would say go for the Keo Classics if money is an issue, don’t bother with the Max2 if money isn’t an issue and just get the Keo carbon blades instead.

radoggair
    Free Member

so had 105 sd’s, ritchey WCS echelon and have just purchased some look keo carbon blades.

Firstly, there all as easy as each other to get in and out of, and the cleats look similar. Ritchey pedals were lighter than the 105’s, lighter than dura ace in fact. Great pedal but bearing only lasted 1 season on 1 of the pedals. 105’s have been on the commuter and winter bike and have had no issues with them. Still smooth bearings after 4 years, replaced cleats and thats it. Aesthetically though not very pleasing and weigh quite a bit.
    Only had the looks for 3 rides now but click in is very positive and seem fine in use. Light compared to the others and offer better aerodynamics. Time will tell.

So, in summary there all about the same, no real cons to speak off, its all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and if you want the extra weight penalty. You cant really go wrong TBH

njee20
    Free Member

Keos are lighter, bearings don’t last as long, cleats don’t last anywhere near as long, they’re marginally harder to clip into.

Shimano are the opposite!

I used SPD-SL for years, then switched to Keos, if I was starting again I’d go back to Shimano.

sputnik
    Free Member

Nick, have you tried the Carbon blades yet ?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve not, I’ve actually got an original pair of Carbon-Ti ones which have lasted pretty well, 8 years now – need a bit of load bearing grease to stop them creaking, but otherwise ok! Got some ‘cheap’ ones on the Allez which are rubbish, not a patch on 105 from a durability POV.

Be interested to try the Blades, but not about to buy some!

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys

Have been offered a cheap almost new pair of Keo Max 2’s and was wondering whether to bother or not really. Sounds like I might just be better off getting some new SPD’s anyway, especially given how cheap 105’s are now.

sputnik
    Free Member

Get the Keo Max 2s if they are cheap and almost new.

iainc

Keo on track and time rxs one the road for me. Much prefer the time’s

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this.

Anyone using the new Time Xpresso Pedals?

They look VERY impressive. Massive platform, so no hot spots hopefully. Same click in mechanism as the previous iClic’s (which seem to get rave reviews), and the cleats look a damn site more “walker friendly” than both the Shimano’s and the Look’s.

bratty

I used Time RXS/RXE pedals for about 4 or 5 years and was happy with them. But then the plastic bodies started to snap on them. I switched to 105 spd-sl pedals about 18 months ago and they have been good – not quite as good as the Times, but feel more solid and I will stick to them. Keos were ok, but not as good as the Spds

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone had a Keo fit session when the float and angle is set up with their fancy digital pedals? Is it worth getting Keos just for this feature if you’re getting a bike fit?

noidea
    Free Member

Onzadog, yes i have had my cleats fitted on the keo system. Works a treat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Keo it is then . Now I just need some road shoes for duck shaped feet.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I use DMR V8s on my road bike. They’re pretty good.

radoggair
    Free Member

been using carbon blades now for about 6 or 7 rides. No real cons apart from cosmetic if you scratch them. Great click noise to get you into the pedals, realy light, good platform so no sore feet from long rides ( done 23.5 hours in past 5 rides with them). easy to get out of. Maybe expensive but should last me 6 or 7 years, so 20 quid a year avg

sputnik
    Free Member

Mboy I had a look at pics of the Max2 and Blade and the size if the platform is very similar . I’ve done about 200miles on mine now and really appreciate the size of the platform . Feet feel great after a ride, something new for me.
    That bit that that extends on the side of the pedal is same on both models.

Oh, and remember not to feed the goat!

yodagoat
    Free Member

I’m serious!! I don’t like SPDs and use my road bike to commute anyways so I use flat pedals. Nice and comfy.

njee20
    Free Member

Superb for pedal strikes too! 🙄

I use my road bike to commute, it’s the majority of my mileage, no desire to use flats though!

yodagoat
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems with pedal strikes but I can see where you’re coming from.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road Pedals… Look Keo's vs SPD-SL's’ is closed to new replies.