Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road pedals & dodgy knees
  • ASC
    Free Member

Starting to do a little more road riding and getting a pain in my right knee. I’m using 105’s with the yellow cleat, I think they’ve 6 deg of float. I know I have a problem with the knee, due to a previous injury but I don’t get pain when I ride the mtb. Are speedplays the answer or a shoe/bike fit?
    Think I’ve read on here good reports about the speedplays.
    Thanks for reading, comments appreciated

Ed2001
    Free Member

I would totally recommend speedplay

stever
    Free Member

How confident are you that you’ve got the cleat position right?

sefton
    Free Member

SPEEDPLAY!

rootes1

and saddle position/height and bar position.. etc

on road bikes you tend to be in the same position for longer and do more miles than on mtb so possibly makes issues apparent

mattjg
    Free Member

Had right knee pain on my road bike once just from having the cleat too tight and it was needing too much force to unclip. Left was the same but I released left by swivelling my whole body at dismount, whereas right was only the knee/leg moving to unclip, prior to dismount.

So check that.

ASC
    Free Member

Pretty much… set it up on the turbo and then made adjustments.
    Im thinking I must have a fair bit of movement in the right leg action. 😆

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with Shimano, I had the cheaper ones (540s or whatever they’re called…) and the float was stiff and inconsistent. Bought Stainless Speedplay Zeros, set the float to max and lived happily ever after. It’s easier to get the cleats spot on with Speedplay too. Only trouble is I’m a light guy and cliping in can proove challenging, but it was hardly easy on my Shimanos… They’re expensive, but how much are your knees worth to you?

aa
    Free Member

another speeplay (zeros)

total adjustment. you change stack height, they’re VERY adjustable.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I had similar problems with pain only in my right knee. A change of cleats to a fixed cleat worked wonders for me, as a lot of the pain was down to my foot moving around with each rev – previously used the floaty yellow cleats. A minor tweak to my cleat position and my saddle height has now completely eliminated any pain.

ourmaninthenorth

Just changed shoes, so spent the other evening setting them up. Tried to be a bit more scientific this time. First ride tonight, so leaving the house with an allen key.

Some interesting ideas here that helped me do things in an informed way.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’d look at saddle height as well as cleat float.

Don’t forget that you’ll move about on a MTB a whole lot more compared to a road bike.

Look and Egg beater user here.

stever
    Free Member

Mm, I’d try and work out what the problem is before throwing money at it. Good luck though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals & dodgy knees’ is closed to new replies.