Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road pedals, are they all the same?
  • jkomo

My road pedals are knackered, but I can’t seem to work out what makes one better than another.
    Any useful opinions on the matter, and any good prices? Again I can’t see any mega deals.

tomhoward

Weight mainly. Then wether or not you get on with the amount of float in the cleat/pedal combo.

midlifecrashes

V8s and copies are fine, but there are thinner and lighter options. Superstar/Kona Wah Wah are good for just a little more. No need for long pins if you’re not jumping or mud plugging. I’d try the Ergon’s if it wasn’t for the silly price.

tomhoward

On the road? 😉

HughStew

Look Keo is the answer for me. Relatively cheap, 3 cleat options with different amounts of float, widely available. Seems to be the default option for many.

midlifecrashes

Absolutely! I realise I’m in the minority though. Tried SPDs for years and have finally given them up. I like to move my feet forward or back depending on whether I’m climbing, powering on, sitting up to enjoy the view or clattering down a bumpy path or byway. Float doesn’t help with that.

FuzzyWuzzy

The only majorly different (common) road system is Speedplays (double-sided, massives of float and mechanism is part of the cleat). Lots of people end up switching to Speedplays and very few seem to go the other way – but they are pricey as even the bottom of the range model is around £100

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano cleats last much longer (about 3x longer for some reason), but the pedals weigh about an energy gel more than look.

or clattering down a bumpy path or byway

Yea, but on the road?

boblo
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes=missedthepoint 🙂

jkomo

The old ones are look, so I suppose it makes sense to stick with them.
    Thanks all.
    Off to Wiggle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals, are they all the same?’ is closed to new replies.