Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road pedals
  • wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i’ve always used mtb pedals and shoes on the road bike since the prohibitive cost of road specific shoes and pedals always put me off.

Anyhow, i came by a pair of road specific shoes so i thought i’d give them a go.

So, any recommendations on pedals types? Fancied the Time racers but heard they fall apart. Shimano is looking ok.

Jamie
    Free Member

Shimano 5700 SL 105 are the only road pedal I have ever used.

Just work.

Edit: Weird. They seemed to be discontinued now, with only a carbon version being sold for £55. Someone will be along shortly with a much better answer.

Edit 2: On-one still have some left for £40.

cp

105 as above, but the bog standard ones do indeed seem to be discontinued. Glad I got a pair for 30quid from CRC not so long ago!

They just go on forever.

stumpy01

I’ve recently swapped over to road pedals on the road bike, rather than mtb spd’s that I had been using.

I’ve got these ones:

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-pd-r550-spd-sl-road-pedals-63269.html

and they work as you’d expect really.

The only annoyance that I hadn’t really considered is that road pedals are only one sided and aren’t weighted to always present themselves clip-in side up. I find this a pain, when pulling away from lights and stuff. It can take a bit more foot twizzling to get the pedals the right way up, than mtb pedals, which were just ‘stand on pedal and off you go’.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

nice one cheers!

Macavity
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Been using Look Keos for about 10 years, and SPD-SLs before that, frankly if I was starting again now I’d go for Shimanos.

TiRed

Shimano are a little easier to clip into than Look. I’ve used Look KEO since they were released. But I taught the kids using Shimano. Look cleats wear fast. I’ve now switched Teen1 onto KEO as we share bikes.

You can also go for Speedplay if you like free float and Time if you like a lot of float.

Shimano are just fine though.

ransos
    Free Member

Shimano are fairly cheap and extremely robust. My ultegra sl pedals are about 6 years old and have only needed some new grease a couple of times. Still work as good as new.

traildog
    Free Member

Is there any advantage to using road pedals on the road?

njee20
    Free Member

Feel more stable, lower stack height, more ground clearance, bit lighter. Marginal stuff frankly.

globalti
    Free Member

A pair of road shoes and pedals is about half the weight of SPDs and SPD shoes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think PD-R550 replaces PD-5700

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals’ is closed to new replies.