Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road pedals
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve been using mtb clipless pedals on road for a while but finding my feet are getting hotspots. Thinking a stiffer sole and a larger platform pedal might improve things. What’s good and what’s bad in the world of road pedals.

Does Shimano dominate on road in the same way they do off road?

boblo
    Free Member

You’re going to get a similar response to the often asked ‘SPD or Eggies?’

FWIW I use Shimano road pedals, currently carbon DA’s. I’ve also had Ultegra both carbon and ally. They’ve all been good and I can’t tell what’s under my feet once on and riding. I understand there will be carbon 105’s out soon if that floats your candle. I have no experience of any other pedal system as I’ve not found, the need to go looking.

Top tip. Have a gander at the classifieds as BNIB pedals turn up regularly at ~50% of shop prices.

atlaz
    Free Member

I personally like Look pedals but I got a set with a bike so they were an obvious choice. No reason to change as I like them. I currently have some cheap Keo on the winter bike and Keo Max Carbon on the summer bike.

TBH, I get the feeling there’s not a massive amount of difference unless you go to something like Speedplay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

i use Time RXS, used to use the old Look pedals, prefer the Times to those, but no idea what Keos, SPDRd etc etc are like.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Speedplay user/convert/zealot.Double sided,cleats last forever and you can set how much and where the float is.

Yak

I use 105s and the mrs uses keo somethings.
    I haven’t a clue which is best, but both work fine and have not thrown up any problems. Both are MUCH better than mtb spds.

zerocool

Look Keo’s are brilliant and come in a wide range of prices

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was originally drawn to the keo because I’ve got a bike fit booked and the chap doing it used the keo electronic pedals for setup but then I started reading comments about them creaking a lot. I like the idea of the speedplay but they seem high maintenance and I wonder if the smaller pedal might lead back to the hotspot issues.

pjt201
    Free Member

Get some shimano a520s

Big platform to support spd shoes, but no need to get new shoes. Also look ok(ish) on a road bike.

or the a600 for a more bling version.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run “trail” type spd pedals. While I appreciate the advantage of the larger platform off road, I’m not sure it offers enough support on road. That’s one of the main reasons why I’m looking at doing the road specific thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Shimano shoes with Keo cleats and pedals are about half the weight of shoes with SPDs and pedals. An SPD shoe usually has a deep recess for the cleat, which means a thick sole and extra weight.

pjt201
    Free Member

fair enough, works for me though.

gee
    Free Member

Road shoes are totally different to mtb shoes – not only in weight. It’s like wearing walking boots to play football. Actually, it’s probably more like wearing walking boots to go bowling. Shimano all the way – nothing else lasts as long. If you want to never buy a set of pedals again, go Dura Ace, otherwise 105 SPD-SL.

Might be irrelevant but I’ve been running 105 SPD-SL road pedals on my cross bike for a year and they haven’t fallen apart. They get a real hammering off road and the engagement isn’t a problem as I don’t get off. Obviously wouldn’t be any good for cross racing, though.

GB

Candodavid
    Free Member

Speed play on the road , spd off

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals’ is closed to new replies.