Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road parts: SS wheels etc – where and what?
  • nicko74

My cheap commuting fixie came with a bunch of cheap n cheerful parts on it, and it sounds like the BB and rear wheel bearings are knackered. I might take the opportunity to invest in some slightly nicer wheels and BB.

So, if I fancy a bit of a step up for wheels, where’s good for SS/ flip flop road wheels, and what’s worth looking at?

And for cheap road BBs, is the selection pretty much the same as for MTB (cheap sealed square taper)?
    Thanks!

thomthumb
    Free Member

So, if I fancy a bit of a step up for wheels, where’s good for SS/ flip flop road wheels, and what’s worth looking at?

goldtec hubs. or on one for budget. open pro/ sport rims.

mauja
    Free Member

I replaced the stock wheels on mine with Halo Aerorage wheels and have been happy with them, much lighter than the stock wheels and pretty decent value for money in my opinion.

D0NK

Much cheapness personally I wouldn’t bother speccing up a rim braked all weather commuter bike wheels much, skinny rims won’t last long. But if you don’t use your brakes much on a fixie might be worth it. Pretty sure those hubs on the cheap wheels are very similar if not the same as on-ones

Big-Dave
    Free Member

My LBS built up a back wheel for me using a System EX flip flop hub. I’d never heard of System EX before but the hub seems to be doing the job just fine and didn’t cost a whole lot.

nicko74

Cheers D0nk, much cheapness indeed! Sealed bearings would be a useful progression. Don’t use the brakes that much, especially the rear, so the rims should be fine; I’d be more concerned about pinch flats tbh, so wondering about slightly wider rims.
    And good call on On-One/ System EX/ Goldtec – will check them out.

TiRed

Miche Pista low flange track hubs, Sapim spokes, Mavic Open Pro rims. Built by Harry Rowland. £280 including delivery. Completely bombproof and about 1800g. Look like proper road wheels, rather than the yellow deep section rimmed abominations that came off it! Highly recommended.

Why would you want flip flop? Do you not do commitment? 😉

nicko74

Woah, just looked at some of the pricing. Goldtec and Harry Rowland are a little beyond what I was thinking of – very nice, and would love to, but my whole bike cost less than a pair of those wheels! 😉

edit: that weight’s good too, looking at comparable On-One wheels.

As for the flip flop, when my gorgeous bikers’ legs have withered away to wrinkly pickles, I figure I’ll need the freewheel… 🙂 Mind you, I’d actually need my wheels to last that long!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I bought a pair of halo aerorage wheels for my paddy wagon a few years ago and they where excellent, sealed hubs, tough rims and not silly money either.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road parts: SS wheels etc – where and what?’ is closed to new replies.