Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road or Touring shoes?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Been riding my road bike with MTB SPD pedals And my Specialized Rimes. They are a little too chunky and occasionally clip the chain stay so want something more road orientated!

Do I stick with SPD and buy touring shoes like the Specialized Sport RBX or go full road pedals and cleats?

Don’t race, only ride socially, sportive, charity rides and the odd 2 day tour….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do you want to walk anywhere? Like from the house to the garage.

If you do, get touring shoes.

onionmk
    Free Member

Get a touring shoe with a recessed cleat system. That way the cleat will be hidden away and won’t clip your chain stay and as a bonus you’ll also be able to walk comfortably off the bike!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

I’ve got a pair of the Specialized Touring shoes. They’re almost identical to the Specialized “road” shoes I also wear but are much better for touring as you’re likely to be stopping at cafes, viewpoints etc. and you can then walk comfortably. You can also wear them when not riding (e.g. going to the pub in the evening) so might mean you don’t need to take some other shoes with you.

I use CB Candy pedals as they have a (minimal) additional support round the cleat area. That might prevent any hotspots developing (should you suffer from that).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also…plastic road ckeats wear out in no time.

fasthaggis

You can also wear them when not riding (e.g. going to the pub in the evening) so might mean you don’t need to take some other shoes with you

This has always been the big decider for me,when it came to choosing shoes for the road bike(and a stiff sole)

smurfly13
    Free Member

Specialized RBX touring shoe it is!

I already have the shimano SPD touring pedal – small cleat but large road type platform.

Thanks all.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Correct decision. I have no idea why roadies use road shoes for all rides, they’re equivalent to using spikes for everyday jogging.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tbf the larger cleats will feel better if the sole isn’t stiff enough

smurfly13
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair of the Specialized Sport RBX Touring shoes

Stiffness rating is the same as my Rimes apparently so we will see!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road or Touring shoes?’ is closed to new replies.