Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road or MTB for two weeks camping in Brittany…?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If you could only take one bike what would it be and why.?

Dickyboy

Road but only coz I’ve never tried mtb there 😕

boblo
    Free Member

Brittany is fantastic for road touring and IME, not as good for VTT. the offroad tends to be bridleways and muddy field margins. I’d be inclined to take a touring bike capable of a bit of bridleway work and pick a couple of the Voies Vertes if they fit in with your itinerary.

persona
    Free Member

Where in Brittany? lots of the coastal trails are ok. there are woodland areas but other than short (sometimes steep) climbs from the coast nothing with a lot of elevation. The roads are good, if you’re a BMXer there’s a National standard BMX race track in St Bruec and DJ trails hidden away inland.

Kinda difficult to give you any good advice when you don’t say whether your trip is solo or with others/family or how much time you have to dedicate to cycling. Nevermind your own actual cycling preferences 😕

persona
    Free Member

the offroad tends to be bridleways and muddy field margins

Well the bridleways and fields (if it’s been wet) do tend to be, yes 🙄

You really need to open your eyes if that’s all you think Brittany has to offer

boblo
    Free Member

Oh dear persona, need some sugar? 🙂

Ok, in the areas of Brittany that I know particularly well, VTT riding is limited as described. I understand, other parts are like a combination of Mont Ventoux, Les Gets and Morzine with fantastic multi 1000m uplifts followed by miles of unspoilt downhill singletrack.

Apologies to anyone that may have been misled. 😉

slugwash
    Free Member

Been touring/riding there several times and have nearly always taken a rigid MTB with slicks or semi-slicks. That way I’ve been able to get a reasonable distance on the tarmac (which has made up the vast majority of the journey) but also been able to negotiate non-technical tracks, trails, and canal tow paths with out too much discomfort.

BTW, we rode a few sections of the Voies Vertes last year, but found them a bit featureless and boring – much prefer the quiet back roads that pass through more villages, and therefore more coffee/cidre/crepe stops 🙂

Mike-E

Just travelling back from Brittany. I took my road bike. It was good and suited the limited windows I had to escape from the family. Depending on where you’re going you may find a good off-road coastal trail. But then you might not …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road or MTB for two weeks camping in Brittany…?’ is closed to new replies.