Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road or mountain bike holiday in the sun in the next week…!
  • flyingfox
    Free Member

I need a break and I’ll be going on my ownsome so wondered if anyone has any advice? Only prerequisite is sunshine (so was thinking Canary Islands?). Would ideally hire a bike and would happily ride MTB or Road. Just need a holiday for sun, head clearing and semi-killing myself cycling and swimming.

Any ideas would be very helpful…

FuzzyWuzzy

Tenerife if you like road cycling up long climbs

flyingfox
    Free Member

Tenerife was in my mind, thanks for that.

mrelectric

Spent 2 weeks in La Palma over the hols. Fantastic off road biking! The Ruta de los Cresteria to Tazacorte is one of best ever rides.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’ll have a look to see if there’s an easy package deal over that way.

Bregante

Lava trax come highly recommended I believe

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-views-on-lavatrax

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been to Tenerife for the last two February half-terms.

Walking out of the airport into sunshine and 25 degree temperatures feels fantastic. The island is a lovely place not like the lunar landscape of southern Spain.

Having said that this year I’m off to Malaga 🙂

whattyre
    Free Member

morroco is hot now too…various threads about it

MrGreedy

I’m in exactly the same boat, want to get a week away before I start a new job next month. This lot are a definite possibility. I would probably prefer the Canaries for better weather but there don’t seem to be so many bike-specific operators and Club La Santa is too pricey. Lavatrax sounds good but I was put off by this bit in PeterPoddy’s review:

140mm all mountain bike as a bare minimum. I’m no bike snob, but don’t even consider a hardtail

FuzzyWuzzy

@MrGreedy – can highly recommend ACE, been with them twice and going back in March. It won’t be as hot as somewhere like Tenerife atm though, the previous trips I’ve been there (both in March) it’s been around 20-25c but is still chilly in the shade in the morning, in Feb you might need arm warmers etc… (although the locals seem to wear tights/long-sleeves until about May).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

For road riding then Tenerife is an absolute must, great roads, brilliant climbs, and good night life if that’s a requirement as well.

Been there two years in a row for a family holiday and simply hired a bike whilst I was there, (pre-ordered online), nothing special a 20 speed bWin model, but quite honestly the ridings so good it made no difference. Not having a non-compact chainset might if you’re not fit though.

gazc
    Free Member

i’m thinking of switchbacks for a week early feb to escape the slush and put some dinks in my dh bike prior to starting a new job – interested in other/similar suggestions too

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Until last week it was 20 C + in the sun most afternoons here in Orgiva over December and January, (with http://www.bikingandalucia.com, near Granada, Andalucia)
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/january-mtb-holiday
    charliemort – Member
    yup – I’ll confirm 25 degrees in Orgive c per Garmin (and that was before the Brandy……………)
    nice to come home to the continued monsoon…………
    [quote]
    refers
    We have the best weather in mainland Europe, although as with the Canaries you cannot guarantee it in January (need to go to the southern hemisphere for that !)

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S has done a training holiday in Lanzarote in January

Club La Santa Lanzarote

joeegg
    Free Member

Its got to be the Canaries at this time of year.
    I lived in Southern Spain for 12 years and Feb & March generally have the lowest temps and the most likelihood of snow in the Sierras.
    In fact its just started snowing in the Sierra i used to live in and everyones got coats on.
    Lanzarote is pretty desolate so Tenerife would be my choice.

carbon337
    Free Member

I was desperatley trying to get something sorted for a week in the 1st 2 weeks in March in preperation for Road race season. Unfortuntley none of my decent roady mates coudld make it.

Tenerife sounded ideal but being billy no mates accomodation would be expesive for just one so never bothered doing anything.

If anyone is a decent 2nd/3rd cat rider heading there needing a bed filled give me a nod.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same boat, want to get a week away before I start a new job next month. This lot are a definite possibility. I would probably prefer the Canaries for better weather but there don’t seem to be so many bike-specific operators and Club La Santa is too pricey. Lavatrax sounds good but I was put off by this bit in PeterPoddy’s review:

140mm all mountain bike as a bare minimum. I’m no bike snob, but don’t even consider a hardtail
    POSTED 22 HOURS AGO #

Had no problems on my Maxlight XC with 100mm travel

+1 for Lavatrax

If your worried speak to Darren, I’m sure he’ll be able to tailor something to your needs/ability

CIMG4416 by Dirtydog11, on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road or mountain bike holiday in the sun in the next week…!’ is closed to new replies.