Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road of Death mountain bikers.
  • jkomo

Man that is some uplift.

carlos
    Free Member

Qué?

nealglover
    Free Member

Someone who presumes that everyone in the world is watching the same thing on TV that they are ??

jkomo

Yes.
    Worlds most dangerous roads.
    Phil Jupitus and Marcus Brigstock driving along some deadly Bolivian mountain road (track).
    ‘the road of death’, drive along to meet a load of downhillers coming the other way, and an uplift truck.
    I thought Cannock could be a bit hairy.

frogstomp

Did this on a trip around South America a few years ago (eek 10 years ago!).. probably not gnar enough for most on here ( 😉 ) but definitely an unforgettable experience – 60kms (mostly) downhill from mountain to rain forest. Very loose ‘marbles’ most of the way, the hardest bit was seeing through the dust behind the trucks and keeping your brakes cool. The scariest bit was probably the ride up to the top in a minibus to start!

The trucks really do get that close to the edge..

BSO ahoy!? That was my first though looking back at the photo, but I’ve just identified it as a Trek VRX. Probably my first ride of a full-suss too I think.. seemed high tech at the time.

DougD

a friend died on this 🙁

jkomo

That looks incredible.
    (Sorry to hear that)

spacemonkey

Re that pic of the truck (getting that close to the edge), what happens if you’re hurtling* downhill on your bike and see that? Just turn round and hope you can find somewhere to duck in and pass?

* Ok, pootling, not hurtling 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

that road has been featured on Top Gear.

njee20
    Free Member

seemed high tech at the time.

VRXs were obsolete by the time they launched them! Remember them well.

That road crops up in all sorts of Xtreeeeem programmes. Looks mental.

alfabus
    Free Member

I had a VRX 300… the VPP did a surprisingly good job of stopping the bounce, and it descended quite nicely 🙂

Wish I had kept it for a retro pub bike.

Dave

Doh1Nut

The best scam of the bike operators is to get your money by showing you a good condition full sus – but when you get out the van at the top you are presented with a Halfords special with sh99y brakes and bald tyres.
    Decided not to bother making the detour to do it after hearing that.

sam_underhill

We rode along some very similar roads in Peru this summer.

60km downhill on a dirt road with poor brakes, drops of death everywhere and lorries that would run you down in a heartbeat. Awesome fun!

jekkyl

beautiful. i would love to ride there.

xiphon
    Free Member

My friend rode that death track when he was in South America. Was provided full body armour and a Kona Stinky IIRC.

andytherocketeer

Thought the one in Georgia (former Soviet place, not the one near Alabama) looked better and more interesting from a scenery point of view, and with more MTB potential. Haven’t a clue who the 2 stars were in that though.

kayak23

Really glad to see this thread and the program last night (though I’ve not watched it yet) as I have literally just booked my flights today to do that trip. Well, that road as part of my trip, on a Redspokes trip.

I’m cycling from Lima to Bolivia taking in the ‘Road of Death’.
    Looks incredible, should be amazing. I’m taking my trusty Dialled Prince Albert….and decent brakes… 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road of Death mountain bikers.’ is closed to new replies.