Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road newbie tyre advice please.
  • flatfish
    Free Member

I know the ins and outs of knobbly tyres but having got bored of the mud wearing away the components on my real bike I’ve decided to use my BiL’s road bike for some extra fitness but it could do with two new tyres.
    Can you recommend a pair of decent all rounder tyres, preferably ones that don’t break the bank, as It’s hopefully not going to be used that often.

Thanks.

sputnik
    Free Member

Mate , get over to the Merlin website. Two Conti Black Chilli GP tyres for £36 delivered.
    Wont find better value for money.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/tyres-tubes/road-tyres-tubes/continental-road-tyres/continental-grand-prix-black-chili-700x24c-folding-tyre.html

When you buy 2 there is a further reduction on the listed price as well as 5% discount at checkout.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I quite like Schwalbe Blizzards, they’re about £11-£13 each from somewhere like on-one. They’re not puncture proof, but there does seem to be enough material to stop all but really stubbourn thorns/glass.

This time of year I’d be getting soemthing heavier and as higher volume as will fit for comfort and puncture resistance as the road surfaces are horrible. Even really racey bikes will take 25mm tyres (which doesn’t sound like much, but it’s almost 20% more volume than the standard 23mm).

And get some mudguards, SKS raceblades fit most bikes, or chromoplastics if they’ll fit and it has eyelets. You’ll be supprised how often you want to ride, but it’s just rained so if you go out the roads are wet and therefore so are your shoes and arse, mudguards mean you can go out in anything except actual rain and be dry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fubar
    Free Member

Two Conti Black Chilli GP tyres for £36 delivered.

Could be coincidence but I just put one on at the weekend and suffered my first road puncture in 4 or 5 years. Could be coincidence but it’s coming straight off (I’ve now bought a conti GP 4 season variant for extra protection).
    Vittoria Rubino Pro (25c) I had on previously never failed – a few small cuts but never caused an issue or got any worse. Usually pretty good value too.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano, roll well, good puncture protection and last a long time.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Conti Gatorskins..

buck53

AndyF1 – Member
    Conti Gatorskins..

+1

They’re absolutely bulletproof and wear really well (I’m heavy too) had mine on for getting on for 18 months now and have done c.12 miles commute 5 times a week, each week, c2c and training/leisure rides.

Effing hard to get on, mind.

rocket
    Free Member

I like vittoria rubinos as a cheap tyre – you can pick them up for about £11 an end. Used them for a while and currently have the 25mm on my winter bike – not great when things are greasy, but perfectly fine all other times. The pros are lighter and a bit pricier.

THe conti GPs loo good value for a ‘good’ tyre. Guessing the puncture above was bad luck and time of year rather than bad tyres.

duirdh
    Free Member

This time of year? GP4seasons, 25mm if you ride less than smooth roads. don’t be tight

charliedontsurf

I’m a schwalbe durano plus kind of guy… Dead grippy, no punctures.

Also go 25mm rather than 23mm, the extra girth makes things more comfortable.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Gatorskins here as well. Bulletproof although they’re not the grippiest in the wet.

Effing hard to get on, mind.

Well the folding ones have been fine on any wheel I’ve owned.

Kevevs
    Free Member

conti GP 4000 4 season I would get in 25mm rather than 23. Ride gp4000 23 at the mo, which are great imo, but I’d rather have an allrounder than a racy tyre and a bit bigger for comfort as I’m no compettitive speed demon. Michelin krylions in the past were ok too.

fatboyjon

Schwalbe Duranos again, they’re just brilliant and, as above, last ages too.

sputnik
    Free Member

The Grand Prix BC’ a are 24 btw

andeh

Watching this thread with interest, I need could maybe do with some better tyres for my Triban 3. I know nothing about road rubber.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of tyres for my road bike,a pair of Michelin Pro race 3 for the summer, and Michelin Lithions for the winter.
    The Lithions are a good all rounder and can be had pretty cheap.

mboy
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Durano’s here. Great grip, fast, good puncture protection and they wear very well. Not cheap, but worth it.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Duranos are good. Don’t know why Gatorskins get so much love, horrible stiff things. I went for a ride on Vittoria Open Corsas Evo SCs tonight, which was lovely but not really ideal for the current conditions…

napesneedle
    Free Member

Gatorskins every time for the road commute!
    However no longer stuck on the road, just got me a Paul Milnes Columbus Cross Bike Ultegra group set, carbon stays, carbon forks, rides cross country better than a hard tail, 2010 model but like brand spanking new and all for £550 thank you Ebay. Why the change? got sick of arrogant, drivers trying to kill me, its back to linking tracks and canal paths for me to get to work much more sporting!

TheSanityAssassin

If you can find the Durano Plus in the ‘London Promotion’ limited edition, then get a pair. They’re wire bead for the first time (usually folders), are bulletproof, and way cheaper than usual due to the bead. I’m sure Charlie the Mong will do you a pair (700 x 23c) if you ring him cos he knows we’ve got them in stock at his favourite Huddersfield-based distributor.

Kevevs
    Free Member

interesting. Will keep Duranos in mind now for next tyre choice..

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Continental gatorskins here. I’ve been a fan of them for years.

Keep them properly inflated and try not to ride in the gutter where all the glass, grit, flint and other assorted anti-social detritus gathers…

lunge

I’m currently running Schwalbe Ultremo’s year round. Not a typical all round tyre but they are very fast!

buck53

Well the folding ones have been fine on any wheel I’ve owned.

Mine are beaded, which probably explains the difference. Thought I was being a n00b until I watched a shop mechanic struggle with one of those foot long tyre levers, felt better about doing it with plastic Decathlon levers then!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road newbie tyre advice please.’ is closed to new replies.