Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road mudguards for C/Clearance
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Before I commit to buying those hideous half guard race blade things that I'm not sure even work. Is there please anything full length for c/c frames out there. WTF happened to Salmon Profile guards huh?

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got some sks on my surly cross i have 35 land cruisers on and they give plenty of clearance

oldgit
    Free Member

Mick
    That's close clearance i.e road frames not cc for cyclo cross.

firestarter
    Free Member

doh well it is early 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a set of sks full lengths on my Lemond croix de fer,

got a bolt from sjs so i could get the clearance under the fork crown.

mieszko
    Free Member

Normal Race Blades are ok if it's the only mudguard You can fit as it's better to have something rather than soaking after light rain on a ride. But be aware that they are not too brilliant as a proper mudguard. Once I was going over 15-17mph water was being sprayed from the front on my feet and from the back wheel on my legs, but my back was dry, so not all bad. I had a fairly close clearance on my old frame and the narrowest SKS mudguards would be OK for the front but wouldn't go through the fork legs. Edinburgh Revolution is selling similar looking stuff to Race Blades for half the price, probably works as well and will not set You back over £30 for something that is only ok-ish. Also all the sand, dirt and muck is sprayed on the drivetrain so my front mech stopped working half way through the winter.

I couldn't find anything as good as full mudguards for my old frame that would be good for close clearance and no mounts on the frame/fork, so had to buy Race Blades. Now I can run full mudguards on my Trek and winter rides and commuting in rain is way better than with SKS stuff.

large418
    Free Member

Try the Giant Defy road bike mudguards. I have a set, they are full length and have cutouts where they go under the break calipers/ through the frame and forks. They are close fitted as well, so they don't make your bike look like a touring bike. You may need to use P clips on the seat stay and forks to hold the mudguard stays, but the setup works a treat on my road bike

AdamM
    Free Member

If you can get full length 'guards on there, do it, they are soooo much better.

It's not so much a question of are there small enough 'guards as whether you frame has any clearance at all. In either case, get the narrowest SKS 'guards.

A great option for seatstay and fork top mounting is to use Sheldon Fender Nuts (from here: http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsis-sheldon) as they make it super easy to install/remove/adjust your 'guards without affecting the brake set up. You won't believe what a difference they make, trust me.

If there really isn't enough clearance under the seatstay brace, it is possible to cut the 'guard and, using metal brackets, attach the 'guard on each side. I can't seem to find any photos of this, but essentially you need two pieces of aluminium plate that are a sort-of 'L' shape. Attach the short leg at the seatstay brace, then they go over the brake caliper and bend down again to position the 'guard as close to the seatstay brace and tyre as possible. Not as clean looking as an intact 'guard, but very effective.

At the front, the worst case is you finish the 'guard behind the fork and accept you'll get some spray from in front. Even then, you'll still get much better coverage than from Race Blades and do a much better job of keeping your feet dry.

Does that help?

oldgit
    Free Member

I'll look at those Defys, or else I might have a go at making some Profile copies.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cool they look usefull. So it looks like you can fit most uber narrow guards with a bit of tinkering.

aP
    Free Member

There's a guy in High Wycombe who sells Salmon guards (google mudguard man). He has an amusing phone manner as well. They are heavy, but a reasonable compromise although in heavy rain spray does leak out from the sides.
    I have an 853 frame built for me to take salmon guards with 23mm tyres which has been great, now on it's 2nd groupset after 11 years.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I came across that guy, and Campagoldy? do them as well.
    I'll still have to do some minor mods, though rather that than staying 1/2 dry with the blades.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road mudguards for C/Clearance’ is closed to new replies.