Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road mudguards
  • dawson

Looking at getting some mudguards but see some horror stories regards fitting.

Any tips on which to avoid?

(Rim brakes btw)

SKS bluemels and wiggle lifeline on the list – have a wiggle voucher to use!

shortyj15

The SKS raceblades are favourite in my club

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve fitted the new crud road racers with the “velcro” fixing. I’ve not done liads of miles on them, but they were really simple to fit and seem to be fixed solid. They are also easy to adjust if they aren’t set perfect the first time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    beaker

+1 for SKS.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

What bike is the important question.

No point mucking around with those rubbish rattling rubbing bodge jobs if you’ve got masses of clearance for proper guards.

ds3000
    Free Member

As previously stated, if you have room for proper full length sks then fit them, even if it be with p-clips and/or zip ties.

theotherjonv

I’ve just fitted Crud RR3’s to my CX cum commuter. I wanted removable and the velcro stuff seems very robust, and so far they’ve done a nice job keeping me dry and seem pretty sturdy.

They are however quite short, particularly at the back, so if you ride in a group the bloke behind might not think as much of them. I’m looking at making or getting a flap to add to it to extend it to ‘full’ length.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you’re happy to have them permanently attached then sks blumels (or tortec do one that’s exactly the same bar a reflective strip and it’s usually cheaper.) Easy enough to fit.

I tried some race blades recently. They are pretty flimsy in comparison. The front bit on the front wheel flaps about a lot. The rear doesn’t have much coverage from brake down to BB (I replaced this bit with a cut down bluemels.) And the catches for detaching the guard from the mounting bracket is pretty poor. Having said that it is handy to be able to pop them off to get the bike into some work stands or into the back of a car.

PDW seem a popular option but only seem to come in very narrow or very wide sizes. Odd.

Crud… rubbish, don’t bother. Very flimsy. Mine lasted about a week.

dawson

Its a B’twin (decathlon) Triban 500.

World prefer full length – there is a bridge between the chainstays to mount to and there are eyelets near axles

firestarter
    Free Member

Pdw are great

TiRed

I’d recommend tortec over sks. My fixed road bike snapped two sks P35 rear mudguards. The tortecs are for life. The P35s looked nicer and I kept the fittings. SKS commuters and Bluemels are made of more robust plastic. I have a set on the winter road bike.

Fixed guards are just so much nicer. I also run the sks raceblade longs, and whilst very good, just do not compare to a bike with proper Had some Cruds too. They didn’t last.

If all else fails, just fit an ass-saver. Great for winter racing.

Tip for fitting: buy the biggest, meanest, hardest jawed cable cutters to cut the stays. Or try some non cutting ones such as bontrager

joat

Or try some non cutting ones such as bontrager

I have these, they are easy to adjust and don’t rattle at all. They’re a bit snug with 25mm if you don’t have much clearance though.

kilo

I have the older triban, proper full mudguards won’t fit, in my experience. Mine has very tight clearances under the brakes ruling out full guards. I have sks raceblade longs on and they have been relatively tough and work well. The only nuisance is the front section on the front mudguard flew off and is lost, so if I was buying again and not bothered about whipping them off regularly I would secure them a bit more, a spot of glue or something similar. I tried raceblades and they were quite flimsy and a pita.
    PDW might be worth a look, I believe they work on relatively tight clearances but not tried them myself

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just fitted Raceblade Mk3’s to my Roubaix – a little bit fiddly to fit due to some odd shapes on the Roubaix but seem fine.

dawson

@kilo – yeah, there’s not much space under brake calipers

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline definitely the best – much sturdier than SKS Bluemels. All my mates have gone over to the Lifeline mudguards and agree with me.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve got a original red Triban 3 with full SKS guards on it.

Can’t remember which ones they are, but they weren’t too bad to fit, had to warm a section up and bend it with a spoon to give a bit of clearance but they fitted ok.

The only issue is the quick release has to be taken out completely to get the rear wheel out. Fronts fine.

prawny

I’ve got the lifeline guards on my commuter, they’re ok but I’d not have got them if I wasn’t so skint at the time. The rear is fine but the front is too short, I’ve got a bit strip of milk carton attached to it at the moment but it’s still shorter than my old sks chromoplastics. But I had a new bike with different mounting points and the lifeline guards were cheaper than a new fitting kits for the sks so whatcha gonna do.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road mudguards’ is closed to new replies.