Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road levers with mtb rear mech – will I have my slippers wee'd on?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just trying to hack together a bike for a mate who's decided to do a sportive with me.

He's got a road bike with 9sp STI shifters (Tiagra I think). It's a 52/39 chainset. I've talked him into buying a compact but I still think he's gonna need a little more in the tank. Just wondering if I can bosh on a spare LX rear mech and cassette and get him some bail out gears?

Triple option is out as he'll need new shifters which starts getting expensive.

oddjob
    Free Member

I'm running an XT rear mech and casette with an ultegra shifter on my roadrat as a 1X9 and it works fine.

sofatester
    Free Member

Where is the sportive? As a 39×25 is a fairly low gear for the road.

Why not just MTFU and ride it as it comes?

Mister-P
    Free Member

A perfectly acceptable set up. Your footwear will remain urine free.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The spread of an MTB cassette on a road bike will feel huge – he'll have the bail out gears on the hills (but as sofatester says, 39×25 is pretty 'soft' for most things as it is) but will forever be searching for the right gears on the flat…. IMHO, obv 8)

PJ266
    Free Member

39×25 isnt easy on steep hills, I recently got a road bike and on the climbs here (13%+) (west Wales) I was standing and grinding up the hills. Its getting easier though 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I was waiting for the first MTFU!

It's the Cyclone up in Newcastle. He's getting the miles in but not hills – I've already done the route a couple of times so I think he's in for a couple of shocks halfway round. Suppose even if he gets off and pushes the odd hill he certainly won't be the only one.

sofatester
    Free Member

I was standing and grinding up the hills. Its getting easier though

Exactly, just get on with it and worry about how steep it was in the pub afterwards.

😀

zaskar
    Free Member

MTFU when he is new, older or not very fit with an injury…not everyone can be Lance Armstrong!

I'm running 12-25 with 53/39. While I can get uphills it is grinding procedure.

Not good on knees. I'vejust bought a 12-27 cassette and that is all I intend to mod without taking a mountain bike with slicks.

Best thing i can do now is get fit and lose weight -by riding!

I know a guy running a triple and 11-32 with his tourer-he gets over hills easily but when we rode with a racer, no chance the guy on a compact, 12-25 with 3 yrs training sailed off.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run an XT rear mech on my CX Bike with Ultegra STIs…

antigee

I run an XT rear mech on my CX Bike with Ultegra STIs

tick plus one but more of an off road runabout/fugly tourer than a cx racer

one issue is cable adjustment – newer rear mechs don't have a cable adjuster and you get non at front end with most sti's

stever
    Free Member

It's only a mech, there are no laws other than 'does it work?' 34×25 is a pretty amenable gear for hillier rides and shouldn't require too much MTFing U. If you go too big at the back you start having big steps between ratios and lose part of the fun of a close ratio setup. You know his fitness best though.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A very good point antigee. An inline adjuster may be needed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road levers with mtb rear mech – will I have my slippers wee'd on?’ is closed to new replies.