Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road inner tubes
  • mauja
    Free Member

Does anyone run latex inner tubes on their road bike? Worth it? The reviews I’ve read seem pretty mixed.

I know about them needing to be topped up regularly and that they can be a bit of a pain to fit but I can live with that.

The weight saving is the main attraction, I just don’t want something that is going to be puncturing on every ride.

mboy
    Free Member

Used Latex tubes many moons ago on an MTB, mainly cos I got them cheap. They were 2/3 the weight of a normal tube, but leaked faster than tubeless. On an MTB they represented a 60g per wheel weight saving, on a road bike it’s likely to be more like 30g per wheel.

Personally I’d not bother…

TiRed

No, but I do run the Continental race tubes. 50g each so a significant saving in weight. I’ve not noticed an increase in punctures, but you must be careful fitting them as they are rather fragile. I have no evidence that they are faster, but marginal gains, eh? 😉

The only downside is that when I carry one as a spare, I won’t be donating it to a stricken rider (but I do carry instant patches too).

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use Michelin latex tubes on my ‘best’ road bike. I only use that bike at the weekend usually so topping up the tyres isn’t an issue, I’d be doing anyway whatever the tubes. They’re light, and roll nicely

benji
    Free Member

Used them on the cross bike as they do give a more supple ride and hence grip, they also seem slightly more resistant to pinch punctures. Not used them on the road, don’t see the point when you are going to pump them to 100psi.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road inner tubes’ is closed to new replies.