Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road hub into a Pompino
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Will it go?

simon1975

120mm Pompino? I suspect not without modification, the back end's quite stiff.

I've got a 130mm lying around that I could try to pop in tonight if I remember!

STATO
    Free Member

if its a 120mm pomp then no probably not without a lot of bending, annoyance etc. If its a 135mm pomp then yes it will work, but youll be pulling the frame in 5mm each time you tighten the qr (road hubs are 130mm), makes taking the wheel out a bit slower.

epicyclo

120mm rear dropout in a steel frame – I'd have no compunction spreading it to fit a 130mm in there.

135mm rear dropout in a steel frame – it's a breeze to squeeze it down to 130mm.

I have done worse things to a bike 🙂

simon1975

I tried it in my 120mm frame this morning and gave up although I reckon it would fit if you could really be bothered although it would be damn tight and put the frame under some stress. I took some photos, email me if you want them.

I reckon you'd be fine with a 130 hub in a 135 frame though. Much easier as tightening the wheel nuts would clamp the frame down nicely.

epicyclo

How to spread a steel frame by an ardent frame mutilator:

2 pieces of wood to protect the paintwork at each dropout. Place car screwjack between and wind out to desired distance.

I suggest doing this in small increments to make sure you are doing this evenly. Pompinos have pretty stiff chainstays so be careful.

Measure multiple times and watch your alignment.

All at your own risk of course. I have done this to various frames in the past with no bad result.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks simon, but it does sound a pain. I just have everything I need for a second s/s crosser apart from a frame.
    Cheers

simon1975

On-one are about to release some new 135mm frames, but they'll be disc only 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes I've just seen those. Already been pricing up 700c disc wheels with Lyras.

Though what looks nice is the Singular that's due out later.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road hub into a Pompino’ is closed to new replies.