Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road helmets – do lighter ones offer less protection?
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Smashed my road helmet at the weekend so looking for a replacement

The one i had was a mid range bell one, not sure of what model would have been about £40 or so, but it did its job (i realise this might be a red rag to the helmet debate but my head is about the only part of my body not hurting at the moment!) Anyway been looking at new ones like the s-works 2d, s-works prevail, giro prolight and the like..all of them seem to fit the bill in terms of comfort but they also feel considerably lighter than my old lid, so was wondering if the protection is less.

druidh
    Free Member

£40 isn’t mid-range.

protection will be every bit as good. The extra money pays for better design, lighter materials etc (as well as cachet)

RealMan
    Free Member

Had some nasty head on crashes with my spesh 2d, and I haven’t died yet. Brilliant helmet, very comfy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fourbanger
    Free Member

protection will be no where near as good. The extra money pays for a less dorky design and the MD’s private yacht.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Realman, probably need to replace that lid.

If you believe the magazines more money gets a lighter helmet & better venting. I’ve got quite a nice Giro as a do everything helmet, cost in the region of £90 two years ago.

Helmets have to be tested to certain standards, most manufacturers will use the same ones, IMHO when it comes to helmets fit & comfort are a significant consideration, looks then come after that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road helmets – do lighter ones offer less protection?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts