• This topic has 69 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Road: Groupsets
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

There really only was one choice in the end

Red or DA would have been a more interesting choice. DA or Force if you have the budget for DA is a simple one.

brassneck

I think the correct answer was actually ‘Super Record’ but all my other kit is Shim/Sram and the £££’s, oh the bloody £££’s.

I can’t think of anything worse than having 3 incompatible (in places) groups spread across my bikes, a full house of frustration!

I went 5800 105 with an Ultegra rear mech. It’s the only bit anyone notices anyway 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Probably a bit late now but ‘Cyclist’ this month has a big article that explains the differences between each step in the heirarchy of groupsets from the big three manufacturers. Goes into detail of what precisely the difference is between say an Ultegra chainset versus a DA one.

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks. I think I read that on line. I was just faffing really. I nearly pressed the button half a dozen times. I was mucking around as this is a very real n+1 and there is no logical reason (or space) for it. Pure indulgence. As Andy would say; ‘I want that one’. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well I’m the guy who had DA7900 on his race bike and then got seduced with DA9000 Di2 for a bargain price (also from Ribble) so I bought that and put the 7900 onto the winter training bike!

So you don’t need to explain or justify yourself to me. What’s not to like about Dura Ace or any of the other top groupsets from the big three?

Yes the performance gain might be relatively marginal, but its more than discernable enough to be felt and enjoyed.

So….enjoy 😀

gatsby
    Free Member

There’s something (for me anyway) about owning Dura Ace that transcends its performance. It was always the groupset to aspire to, and the 9000 series is simply the best and most beautiful groupset ever made.

I have it on my R5 and there’s not a day goes by that I don’t find myself just looking at it. It’s gorgeous!

The fact that it performs so faultlessly is the other reason to go for it. I’ve had it for 2 years now, and absolutely nothing about it bugs me. No niggles, nothing I wish was slightly different, nothing that I feel could be improved.

The lever throw is so short and precise that it makes Di2 seem rather a pointless extravagance.

Looking at it from a different angle, there’s only 1 pro-tour team using SRAM this year, and that’s AG2R. And most of the others have migrated from campag to DA.

I think that once you’ve coveted it, and come so close to clicking ‘buy’, you’ll always regret it if you don’t buy it now. And how much difference is a few hundred quid going to make to you over, say, 5 or 6 years that you’ll be using your DA-9000…

You’d be daft to get anything else!

G

geetee1972
    Free Member

The lever throw is so short and precise that it makes Di2 seem rather a pointless extravagance.

Well, I have been accused of being just that before.

Looking at it from a different angle, there’s only 1 pro-tour team using SRAM this year, and that’s AG2R. And most of the others have migrated from campag to DA.

Interestingly the Cyclist article suggested that this might be because SRAM doesn’t (currently) have an electronic offering. It is useful in some situations, like on TT bikes where it can minimise the disruption to your position.

FWIW I have grown to like how Di2 works, at least compared to 7900 mechanical. I think the gap between 9000 mechanical and Di2 might be less because the 9000 mechanical shifters were improved over the equivalent 7900.

I like the way with Di2 you can so easily change down a gear when climbing out of the saddle without having to relax or change your grip.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s it in a nutshell. There no ‘need’, I’m as far away from a Pro or angry young man as is possible but just the pure joy of ownership of something really nice is magic. What was stopping me buying ‘lesser’ kit was that it wasn’t nice enough to justify the pointless extra bike. No need for another if it is much the same as existing. It needed to be much nicer (or fill another niche).

And in the scheme of things, the price doesn’t matter, it’s not a significant outlay. As with all conspicuous consumption, if you don’t need to sell a kidney or prostitute the wife, there’s often not much to be said against it fiscally.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m running 6700 and tempted by upgrade to 5800.

I’ve just done exactly that – 5800 was £280 in the Ribble sale, no way was it worth an extra £200 for no functional difference and a trivial weight saving. The saving is half way to a really top notch set of handbuilt wheels…

TiRed

The price of luxury items is £300, apparently. The marginal price for you is £400. You won’t regret it every time you press the shift lever.

One other point. Although it’s not hewn from solid alloy Campag, it is crashable. When I downed my new DA on the first ride, a replacement (silvered plastic) nameplate was £9, and the carbon shift lever was barely marked. The RD was touched up with a little black enamel and all is good again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thank the Lord boblo,.

Campag is a waste of money tbh, pretty much like “high end” watches.

The only way it can be perceived as good value is the fact you get more material.

aP
    Free Member

Campag is a waste of money tbh, pretty much like “high end” watches.

Hmm…. Cost of everything, value of nothing…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 minutes, I expected quicker.

EDIT aP I’ve worked many many road bikes with both Campag and Shimano. Try to convince me (without referring to your intergalactic mileages).

geetee1972
    Free Member

EDIT aP I’ve worked many many road bikes with both Campag and Shimano. Try to convince me (without referring to your intergalactic mileages).

My brother and I wouldn’t have anything to rib each other about if everyone rode the same groupsets. Our shared rides usually go along the lines of:

Him: How’s your fishing tackle, caught any fish with it lately?
    Me: Fine thanks. How’s you’re Italian work ethic? Has your drive train finally managed to change gear from the last time we rode together [last week]?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of a scott cr1 frame and dressing it with 6870 di2. there are some pretty good deals about at the moment on both.

as in both together?…

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-cr1-premium-di2-frameset-with-11-speed-ultegra-6870-electric-pack-2013-p264079

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think that once you’ve coveted it, and come so close to clicking ‘buy’, you’ll always regret it if you don’t buy it now. And how much difference is a few hundred quid going to make to you over, say, 5 or 6 years that you’ll be using your DA-9000…

This. How long are you thinking of keeping the bike/build? If youre setting out to build a pimpy bike and keep it for some time, then amortise the extra cost.
    As you say there’s little point trying to justify an extravagance in objective performance terms, but if it’s about pride of ownership etc then you’ll spend a long time thinking “if only…”.

Really only 2 questions:
    Do you want it?
    Can you afford it?

boblo
    Free Member

I don’t get rid of my bikes which is half the problem… I’ll be keeping this for a long time though it may be a bit ‘Triggers broom’ after a couple of years 🙂

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

What frame is it OP? I would have thought that was an important part of the decision making process?

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaaahhh well, prepared for some sneering… It’s one of those Scott CR1 Sl’s from last year (it’s spent time in hiding with Julian Assange). I bought it and haven’t built it up yet. I have a 2009 CR1 as well though that’s the one prior to the the mamil/sportive treatment.

It’s a very nice frame (HPX etc) just not in the latest flavour. Reynolds Assault’s, Fizik Arione and Ritchey finishing kit should make a very nice boik 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just can’t get used to the new shimano chainsets. To me they look wrong but my nice bike is old record 10 speed that won’t die.

But be hard to justify the extra cost of super record over da when I comes to replacement

mooman
    Free Member

My Force shifters wore out recently after maybe 3 years regular use. The teeth on ratchet wore off, so just wear & tear.
    I was happy with Force, and just as happy with the Force22 group set on other bike.

I bought 5800 shifters to replace the worn Force. And they are silky smooth, definitely better shifting than Force/Force22.

boblo
    Free Member

I have 5800 on a CAADX and they are very nice. I must be a plank though cos I can’t really tell that much difference between 6700 and 5800…

If I wanted to build a bike on a sensible budget, I’d buy 5800 no questions asked.

gatsby
    Free Member

My Force shifters wore out recently after maybe 3 years regular use. The teeth on ratchet wore off, so just wear & tear.
    I was happy with Force, and just as happy with the Force22 group set on other bike.

My winter bike has 8-speed Shimano 600 – the first of the STi levers – that I bought new in 1992. It’s been in regular use ever since, on the winter bike for the past 5 seasons. And it gets used 2-3 times a week, whatever the weather decides to through at it.

It shows no signs of wear whatsoever, the shift is a crisp and smooth as the day I first built it as a 19-year-old lad.

I also have 105, Ultegra and DA-7700 series groupsets that have been raced, TT’d, crashed and generally abused…

I’ve NEVER had a Shimano item die due to wear and tear.

G

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never seen an sti wear out.

As for Shimano chains, brake pads etc… 😛

gatsby
    Free Member

Apologies, obviously I’ve had plenty of drivetrain components wear out, but none of the “hardwear”.

G

finbar
    Free Member

Never seen an sti wear out.

I had a pair of DA 7700 9 spd STI that the return spring ceased to return on. They did have about 40k on though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aaaaahhh well, prepared for some sneering… It’s one of those Scott CR1 Sl’s from last year

Well I would say it’s absolutely worthy of top-end kit.

I sold mine after a year because the frame didn’t take 25mm tyres – which I have become addicted to – and the replacement is just not quite as fast.

With Dura Ace and your carbon wheels it will be an absolute joy to ride and an awesome climbing machine.

mrchrispy

crashtestmonkey

I’m toying with the idea of a scott cr1 frame and dressing it with 6870 di2. there are some pretty good deals about at the moment on both.
    as in both together?…

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-cr1-premium-di2-frameset-with-11-speed-ultegra-6870-electric-pack-2013-p264079

Thats exactly what I’ve been looking at, however the defy advanced its fighting it for attention.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I normally hate aero bikes, but I keep getting drawn to this combination of value, spec and just general appeal

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/290948/products/giant-propel-advanced-2-ltd-edition-2014-carbon-road-bike-silver-blue.aspx

Given I’m also drawn to the massively reduced Kona Satori on their site I really need to step away from the internet…

boblo
    Free Member

boblo – Member
    I have 5800 on a CAADX and they are very nice. I must be a plank though cos I can’t really tell that much difference between 6700 and 5800…

Rearrange the following phrase or saying: words eat my…

I rode my 6700 bike on Saturday for the first time in ages. I’ve spent the last 1500 miles or so on my 5800 winter bike. The effort at the lever is night and day particularly the front. 6700 feels massively agricultural next to 5800, God knows how it’ll feel against 9001. Looks like another upgrade bill coming 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Road: Groupsets’ is closed to new replies.