Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road GPS computer
  • donkeydave

Hi all my Garmin edge 500 speed/ cadence sensor has died and looking for a new one it seems I need to spend around £50 for a new Garmin one!.

I am looking at this and thinking perhaps its time to get a new one perhaps edge 520 or wahoo bolt.

Thoughts and any suggestions would be great.

CraigW
    Free Member

Do you really need a speed sensor? I think GPS is usually good enough for speed (unless you are cycling indoors).
    A cadence-only sensor would be neater and cheaper. Note you can use other brands of sensors, so long as they are compatible with ANT+. So they may be cheaper than Garmin.

joemmo
    Free Member

if your sensor has died then just replace it and keep the 500 IMHO. I bought an Edge 520 recently as I liked the idea of the mapping but in practice it’s awkward to use and the device itself is generally a bit disappointing. There’s a few things about the interface that really annoy me, battery life is ok at best but it seems fairly robust & the sync over bluetooth is a cool feature. I do still have my 500 and actually its great for nearly everything. The 520 has the feel of something that had features shoehorned in and got a bit bloated by comparison but if you a total data-nut then its probably worth a look.

richardk
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of the old Garmin speed/cadence sensors that you can have if you want? £20 for each (includes big sensor unit, crank magnet, wheel magnet)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road GPS computer’ is closed to new replies.