Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road: Good cheap bar tape?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Anyone?

I previously used Bontrager Gel Cork:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/gel-cork-tape-ec008123?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Any other options worth a squirt? Or else i'll stick with the Bonty.

0091paddy
    Free Member

All does the same job, it's all in how well one can wrap it though..

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was going to recommend the bonty stuff.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeees… my last attempt at wrapping was my first attempt. It's starting to come loose now, and I cut it too short. This time I am hoping for more success…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lizard Skins DSP is quite exceptional but expensive, I'm not keen on the lack of grip with normal cork bar tape.

A tip for wrapping bar tape – do it sober.

trail_rat
    Free Member

get non sticky stuff AND wrap it TIGHT

cynic-al
    Free Member

cinelli etc good enough for me (did not like lizard skins) @ £7

poppa
    Free Member

A tip for wrapping bar tape – do it sober.

What must you think of me?!? 😮

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I find most normal cork tape is fine. I buy whatever is cheapest. If you like the bonty stuff stick with it.

I never bother with the gel padded guff, or the gel pads to stick to the bar underneath. Removes all feel, makes the diameter of wrap HUGE and shifts about all over the shop. Decent cork tape wrapped at medium tension FTW.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What must you think of me?!?

It's more a reflection on me, I wasted a box of Cinelli Velo tape (14.99) after naffing it up after a couple of glasses of wine.

Needless to say I was sober when I applied the DSP (24.99).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you peel carefully you can usualy re-wrap the tape several times.

Some people don't bother taking the tape off the sticky glue, but I find the tape shifts around too much then, as I prefer a medium tension wrap over 'so tight is practically spray painted on'.

Amazing how you can gibber on endlessly over the simplest of things eh?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Keep with the Bonti stuff, the best. end of.

ourmaninthenorth

Cinelli cork for me. Also don't like it too fat and squishy (I don't wear gloves in the summer, either).

If you want secure without having to winch it on, before putting the bartape on, wrap the bars in reversed (sticky side out) pvc tape. Grips like youknowwhat to a blanket.

finbar
    Free Member

Always cork never plastic, but most brands are much of a muchness i think – off the top of my head i've used Ritchey, Bontrager, Silva, Prologo and Cinelli. Ritchey & Prologo come with nice locking bar end plugs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've got pro on one bike and charge on the other, no complaints with either.

Run an extra strip allong the bars on the straight bit to absorb some vibration on the tourer (doesnt seem to be an issue on the racer, but thats got a carbon fork and half the number of spokes)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you peel carefully you can usualy re-wrap the tape several times.

Not Cinelli Velo unfortunately. 😥

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road: Good cheap bar tape?’ is closed to new replies.