Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road frame material question?
  • ton

for a big powerfull rider, is a stiff aluminium frame better than a steel frame?

tinribz
    Free Member

Would you rather it bent,

Or snapped?

aP
    Free Member

Depends how lightweight or not the frame is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FAIL

It depends how it’s designed.

Off the shelf alu frames are likely to be stiffer, but you can get a custom steel to ride how you want.

Off the shelf carbon is probbers the stiffest generally.

crikey
    Free Member

Depends.

The ‘big powerful’ riders on any pro team ride the same as the other guys, apart from odd exceptions like Magnus Backstedt.

For your average ‘big powerful’ (ie, a bit chubby and clumsy) amateur it matters not a jot.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Forget ti, it’ll be like sitting atop a wet noodle

tinribz
    Free Member
    Garry_Lager

Have you considered beryllium? Great frames for big lads.

CHB

Ton, you are quite welcome to have a spin on my PX Sportive Ti if you want to test BB flex. Obviously since you are at least a smidge taller than me then it won’t fit you, but it might prove the point on flex.

(PS Hope you are a bit better mate, had meant to email, but crappness prevented).

cynic-al
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    For your average ‘big powerful’ (ie, a bit chubby and clumsy) amateur it matters not a jot.

Yet another FAIL.

It may matter quite a lot t the individual.

crikey
    Free Member

Whatever.

Trekster

My mate Ian is similar physique to yourself(you met on the cold, v-wet stw aborted ride) he got himself a custom built Dave Yates, called Big Dave 😆 He uses it for touring so depends what you intend doing, racing or touring?
    I have an old Ti Raliegh I got through lbs when Raliegh were closing down and there were some surplus warranty frames lying around.

cynic-al – Member
    FAIL

It depends how it’s designed.
    Correct.
    The frame I have has a front mech mount riveted to the seat tube and “strong” riders have broken these frames at that point. Think standing & sprinting, something I dont/cant do due to dodgy knees ❗

ton

conrad………cheers mate, might hold you to that.

a lot of years ago i had a cannondale roadbike, not very comfy, but very fast and direct feeling.
    longish road rides were a blast on it.
    longish road rides on a dawes steel frame and a aravis steel audax frame seemed somewhat of a chore.

cynic-al
    Free Member

crieky…hard day?

Seriously though – of course it matters **** all to performance, but it’s about how the bike feels for the OP, no?

crikey
    Free Member

Seriously though – of course it matters **** all to performance, but it’s about how the bike feels for the OP, no?

That’s a much more acceptable response than FAIL, no?

djflexure

I have a couple of road bikes. One cost a lot and was ridden by Lance on one of his tour wins, the other cost £500 ten years ago. I like both. If I knew then what I know now I might have saved a few quid. Look at a Bianchi via nirone. They are always coming up on ebay. Here is a 61″
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bianchi-C2C-Via-Nirone-61cm-Road-Bike-/230589702037?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35b0379f95

cynic-al
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    That’s a much more acceptable response than FAIL, no?

Yes but my response included:

It may matter quite a lot t the individual.

If in doubt, imagine a ” 😀 ” in all my posts.

Bez

Personally I don’t like steel road frames. To be stiff enough at large sizes they end up heavy and dead-feeling compared to a decent aluminium frame. Not that I’ve gone the custom route.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s my point – I’ve ridden a 27″ Rourke steel custom that was luvverly.

Anyway going by your inbred you ride a 21″ road frame yes?

Bez

Whereas my point was clearly qualified by the first word in my post, and the last sentence.

63cm, FWIW.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oooh get you, Mr Serious! Worse than a lawyer!

I appreciate your last sentence, however it was a non-statement re. large custom steel frames (for the man at large…see what I did there?), mine was a positive.

None of which creates any logic as to why you’d ride a 63 when you ride a 16″ mtb.

Bez

If in doubt, imagine a ” :)” in all my posts.

One man’s “non statement” is another’s caveat and context.

Anyhow, re frame sizes. On a road bike you have two riding positions, you’re in one of them for 90% of the time. So the important thing is to have a fit that’s good for that. On an MTB you (I) want to ride fast over rough ground, which means I don’t spend much time in the saddle, so the important thing is something that handles well and can be moved around under me easily, hence using the smallest frames I can get away with.

winterfold
    Free Member

what does powerful mean? 😉 A Colnago Master x-light will handle more power than anyone on here can put out.

How a bike feels is very subjective (assuming it meets some minimum quality level) so its a case of whatever floats your boat.

ourmaninthenorth

Pegoretti Big Leg Emma.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But Bez I had no idea you were joking – you are like a serious elder statesman on here, like Fred etc.

Anyway all of our opinions are, by definition, personal.

Bez

If by serious elder statesman you mean facetious argumentative cock then I’m with you 🙂

scotabroad

Tony – my road bike is a Steel Le Mond LE Croix De Ferr with Carbon forks and I find it very comfy indeed. Flex is not an issue.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road frame material question?’ is closed to new replies.