Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road: Electronic shifting or Carbon fibre?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

So, I’m almost certainly going to get a Canyon road bike at the weekend. I’m only an hour from their base so makes perfect sense (I find lame excuses for all my new bikes). I “only” want to spend 2000e so I can get an ultegra Di2 equipped alloy frame or a normal carbon frame.

The magpie in me quite likes the idea of electronic shifting, not least because it means I can ignore front mech setup. The other side of me thinks maybe the carbon frame is a better “investment” (this is clearly bullshit).

Help!

dantsw13

Carbon frame will always be lighter, hence a quantifiable performance benefit. eShifting is just bling. IMHO!!

sailor74
    Free Member

I would opt for the carbon frame, im sure electronic shifting will a premium price which means a possibly cheaper alloy frame as its built to a price point. Cant imagine either that it will save any weight. I would rather get the better frame and upgrade components than buy top components and upgrade the frame.

RealMan
    Free Member

Carbon.

geoffj

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I had the choice of two identical bikes, one with Dura Ace mechanical. One with Ultregra Di2.

I went for DA and I am glad I did. Perfect shifts, less worries about potential issues when away, lighter, looks better/less clunky.

So with that in mind, I’d go for the carbon frame. I don’t think Di2 is worth the extra.

imnotverygood

FWIW I think that electronic shifing is still too new as a technology on bikes. Personally I would wait a few years until it is refined further.

akira

Jamis xenith pro, carbon frame and fancy dancy electronic ultegra, in budget as well.

zerocool

I’d go for the carbon frame. But Di2 gears are awesome to use and can highly recommend them. I don’t own any as I’m to poor, but I’ve had one on long term(6 months) loan from a friend and it’s brilliant. I’d much rather have Di2 Ultegra over conventual Dura Ace. The weight saving between Dura Ace and Ultegra is negligible these days

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Choose the best frame, not the shiny bits.

Then change the shiny bits to be shinier. If the frame’s gash, well you can’t polish a turd.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Go carbon
    Besides Di2 Ultegra aint a looker 🙂

BTW if youre local to Koblenz does that mean you can take the bike back if you have probs?

There have been a number of forum conversations about aftersales support from Canyon with people being out of pocket for warranty work

fisha
    Free Member

I think the Di2 stuff is the way forward, but perhaps give it a couple of iterations to trim down a bit yet.

I’d say carbon frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some alu frames are really really good. Some carbon ones aren’t.

Tough to decide for you, esp without a test ride.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had to choose between mechanical Dura Ace or Ultegra Di2.I chose mechanical ultegra and carbon 50mm tubs instead 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just built up another alu frame, I love it, 1300gm, v comfortable but not stiff…I don’t even race so who would I be kidding?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tough to decide for you, esp without a test ride.

This is a very, very good point.

Go to your LBS and test ride the bike before you buy…

Oh, hold on….Erm.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well luckily I CAN go to Canyon and play a little as they’re just over the border. Given they have shop-soiled models I think I can get some limited test riding in. Carbon frame is 300g lighter than the alu one. Road.cc reviews the alu one well and it’s a bike of the year candidate for sub-2000 quid at Bikeradar’s stable of mags.

I’ll go have a poke around the shop and talk to the guys there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road: Electronic shifting or Carbon fibre?’ is closed to new replies.