Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Road discs brakes
  • cchris2lou

Been running some BB7 for a while now and fancy a change.
    Can’t change the shifters otherwise would have gone for the Shimano.

What are the options?
    Really fancy the TRP Hydr.

Anything else worth considering?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my Spyres (changed to them from BB7s)

fooman

I just got some Juin Tech R1 hydraulic calipers to replace my bb7s not had a proper ride on them yet though. Smaller and neater than trps.

cchris2lou

Not everyone seems pleased with the Spyres.

Saw those R1 on ebay and not sure if they were just cheap copies of the trp.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, there do seem to be a few duff ones – not really sure why but mine are spot on.

essexbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got TRP Hydr on my GT Grade 105 – so far so good and nice modulation and plenty powerful enough for a road bike. Go for it.

13thfloormonk

Can’t change the shifters otherwise would have gone for the Shimano.

Have I missed something? Are shimano cable discs not compatible with Sram shifters?

I had always planned to swap my BB7s for the posh Shimano cable discs, although I have no reason to at the moment…

cchris2lou

The Shimano hydraulic are 11 speed only. Currently running 10 speed.

kilo

Four months on and the Juin techs are still going fine on my cx bike and also on the wifes, these bikes have been used way more than the road bikes and the degree of disc brake faffage and aggravation has dropped to almost nil

cp
    firestarter
    Free Member

Ive got trp hylex they are great

cchris2lou

Really tempted by those R1 now.

cchris2lou

Are they comparable to mtb brakes? Ie SLX?

whatgoesup

What do you reckon, is worth it to upgrade a new bike with the Shimano Hydraulics from new, to be able to sell the 11 spd 105 shifters and Promax callipers as new so getting some money back, or to spend the money on upgrading the wheels instead?

kilo

cchris2lou – Member

Are they comparable to mtb brakes? Ie SLX?

Difficult one, using the brakes riding on the hoods gives a different level of power to using brakes riding on flats as on slx and even riding in the drops varies the power you can apply.

I would say they’re as outright powerful but I’ve never had a problem stopping the bike and can lock the wheels when required.

iainc

I have the shimano hydraulics (105) on my CDF and they feel same as my XT’s – identical calipers so I guess they should !

cchris2lou

decided on the R1 , waiting to hear from edge if they can be used with 140mm rotors .

Lummox

I’m just about to list a hope v twin in the classifieds, it’s a converter for mechanical to hydraulic disc.

Send me an email If you’re interested id be looking at £100 +fees and postage.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I have Shimano RS785 hydraulic calipers on my Defy and they are excellent. The power is sensible and very easily applied. Suddenly discs on road bikes make complete sense and don’t seem out of place at all.

velomanic
    Free Member

Also got the Shimano R785 Hydraulic calipers on my Orbea Avant and they are indeed excellent!

Had TRP HyRd and Spyre SLC brakes on my Croix de Fer in the past 18 months and preferred the Spyre SLC out of the two.

cchris2lou

Have been using the R1 Juin for a week now , and very happy with them . so much better than bb7 .

Rotors supplied are heavy but other brands work .

antigee

TRP HyRD’d here – similar was running BB7 which were OK but a bit of pain with the regular adjustment needed – looked at going full hydro but add in replacing two wheel sets as well to go 11speed hard to justify (disk wheels don’t wear out 😥 or is :lol:)

wasn’t sure if just swopping for sake of swopping go to TRP HyRd’s but no are excellent much more modulation than BB7’s – can’t speak for alternatives but well pleased with result

Solo
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member

The Shimano hydraulic are 11 speed only. Currently running 10 speed.

I’m running a couple of bikes that use a mix of Shimano 10spd and 11spd with no issues. The only rule I stick to is using 11 speed chains, but even then I use 10spd speed links as the 11 spd versions I’ve found seem to be the non-reusable types.

The commuter has RS685 brake set which I got for a reasonable price from Bike24. I think the current Euro to GBP exchange rate makes buying from Europe possibly advantageous, at the moment.

If OP is stuck with their original shifters then one of those cable to hydraulic converters appear to be an option. Not very sightly, but as the ones I’ve seen hang under the stem, the unit isn’t exactly “in yer face”.

That R1 review seems to be quite positive.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/juin-tech-r1-cx-cable-hydraulic-disc-brakes-a-rambling-review-part-1

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

replacing two wheel sets as well to go 11speed hard to justify

You can just remove a cog from the 11 speed cassette and put it on a 10 speed wheel http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

AFAIK you need new derailleurs though

Mister-P
    Free Member

HyRd work well but the stock pads lasted about 5 minutes and my callipers didn’t adjust for pad wear. So the long lever pull got longer as pads wore to the point of pulling to the bars. New Shimano pads helped a lot. I’ve gone Shimano hydraulic now as the callipers look so much neater.

Solo
    Free Member

You can just remove a cog from the 11 speed cassette and put it on a 10 speed wheel

Possibly, you’ll have a bit of a strange gap between two of your ratios, but seems possible.

Only the rear derailleur, ime.

ransos
    Free Member

My Spyres will be getting their first proper run tomorrow night. I shall report back.

kcr
    Free Member

Re the Hy-Rd lever travel issue mentioned above, a good tip I found online is to turn the cable clamp upside down and clamp the cable on the inside of the bolt. This fixed the lever travel issue for me (the brakes worked OK before, but I found that I had to pull the levers all the way to the bar to get them to bite).

I moved to Hy-Rds after running road BB7s for about 10 years. I’ve found them to be a big improvement. The self adjustment makes them a lot less hassle than having to fiddle with the adjusters on the BB7s regularly, and they seem to be standing up to commuting better than BB7s, which I found corroded badly. The Hy-Rds also have a very low profile, so I was able to fit guards and a rack without adding spacers and customising the stays.

antigee

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    replacing two wheel sets as well to go 11speed hard to justify
    You can just remove a cog from the 11 speed cassette and put it on a 10 speed wheel http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

cheers will look at that

turboferret

R785s on the commuter, work very nicely. Controllable and enough power to lift the back wheel without crashing when required.

Cheers, Rich

zinger
    Free Member

I originally had BB7 which came with bb7 which were bad with the continual rub on one side, luckily they broke and were replaced under warranty with some TRP spyre brakes by specialized. The Spyre were much better – no more rubbing but did not feel that powerful compared to mtb hydo brakes, have just switched oveer to the Juin Tech R1 cable / hydro brakes and they are fantastic !! Really strong modulated braking now much better than the old cable spyre brakes – same feeling in braking i get from my mtb full hydro brakes

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Road discs brakes’ is closed to new replies.