Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road disc wheelset – no idea, please help :)
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Im totally out of my depth here

The next bike will be my new best friend/commuter/tourer/holiday bike
    My man drawer has enough bits in it like saddles, posts, bars etc to make a build a decent financial option over an off the peg Kaffenback

What I cant decide on is what wheelset to go for
    Ive been scouring the classifieds and cant find much so will be looking at some new ones

On the one hand I dont want it to be saddled (LOL) with 9kg wheels but in the other it seems a good place to save some weight

My budget is flattered by a second hand frame and forks plus the bits I already have but what wheelset is anyone running on their own winter disc roadie?

MTB or road specific – Im clueless
    (but tubeless would be nice, and so would something light)

Cheers

peteimpreza

Have you looked at the CX wheel set from Kinesis?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

^^ what he said. Light, strong, sensibly priced. Whatever wheels you go for, just check your rear spacing on the frame.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Hope Hoops with Stans Alpha rims.
    They work tubeless and will take road tyres or wider CX tyres.
    They’re on special at Merlin at the moment fot about £300 a set.

jonba
    Free Member

I have a pompertamine which is sort of the single speed kaffenback.

Most MTB wheels will fit, however, they are heavy and the rims are too wide. What you will need to find is a road rim laced to a MTB hub. Common off the shelf options will be labelled as cyclocross wheels.

Merlin, just riding along, Ribble, planet x and super star components would be good places to look.

You might get away with 29er wheels if the rim is narrow.For a 25mm the you’d want an internal width of less than 19mm, ideally around 17 or less.

cloudnine
    Free Member

+1 for the kinesis wheelset from freeborn £240 (about 1500g)

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

This evening I was going to put the unused wheels from my TCX Advance on ebay. They are Giants CXR-1, apparently they have DT240 internals in the rear hub, 6 bolt compatability and are tubeless ready (I’ll also send the rim strips, tape and valves).

I removed them from the bike when I received it so they are totally unused.

I am looking for about £175.00 posted in the UK, drop me a mail if your interested adam-dot-buckland-at-hotmail-dot-co-dot-uk

Sorry for the hijack…

munkster
    Free Member

I’m in the process of mulling a disc road/CX wheel build to replace the stock Boardman wheels on a CX Team.

I’m hankering after some Velocity A23 rims (already got some on a rim-brake bike) with the non-machined sidewall. Anyone got any other rim recommendations in the under-£50 and 450g or under bracket that I’ve overlooked? Open Pro CD perhaps?

With Novatec hubs and standard spokes/nips should be around 1750g for approx £170 by my reckoning. OP why not build some too! 🙂

mattyboy24
    Free Member

Using hope pro2’s on stans alpha rims at the moment and they are great!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m hankering after some Velocity A23 rims (already got some on a rim-brake bike) with the non-machined sidewall. Anyone got any other rim recommendations in the under-£50 and 450g or under bracket that I’ve overlooked? Open Pro CD perhaps?

Work colleague has just had some non-machined Open Pro built for a disc commuter and very nice they look too. Having investigated this quite a bit for a new set of wheels myself recently, I think the only way you are going to go lighter than an Open Pro is a Velocity Aerotrac (cheap, non-eyeletted, but I have clocked up ~5000 miles on a set on the road and they’ve been fine) or Stans Alpha (a bit more spendy).

In terms of bang-for-your-buck, for all round use, it’s difficult to see past 32 hole Open Pro’s on XT hubs – acceptably light, bombproof and with a bit of shopping around for bits and building yourself, can be had for (relative) peanuts.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Open pros are narrow, would definitely go with a modern wide rim like an a23/arcytype/stans etc for a better tyre profile especially with bigger tyres.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Open pros are narrow, would definitely go with a modern wide rim like an a23/arcytype/stans etc for a better tyre profile especially with bigger tyres

Fair point – I’m only running 25c which are fine on my Open Pro’s and Aerotraks. If you’re going to run anything much bigger then a wider rim would be better.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Mavic are releasing road disc wheelsets soon…

http://road.cc/content/news/125340-mavic-set-release-aksium-one-disc-and-ksyrium-pro-disc-wheels-2015

As others I run Pro2 on Alpha 400. Had to have them built though as the off the shelf Hope Hoops don’t use the Alpha disc rims so it still has a braking surface.

munkster
    Free Member

Archetypes look lovely (built some up for a friend) it has to be said, but a tiny bit lardier than A23 that’s all…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry. I’ve got stans arch rims (pre EX, 19mm internal) that I run with 28mm tubeless tyres. All this talk of wider rims on road bikes, would people break the “rules” and run 25mm road tubeless on a 19mm internal rim?

MrSmith
    Free Member

17-19 internal is a normal ‘wide width’ my only concern would be the rim being designed for the higher road pressures

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Archetypes on your hub of choice. Wide, tubeless ready, tough. OPs are too narrow IMO. See Malcolm at CycleClinic for a build cost. He can do Novatecs for £325ish.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I built some with Halo Aerotrack rims, and they proved to be pretty good, used them for daily commuting with panniers on and off-road (canal path stuff) and i don’t think i ever had to true them. 24 quid and 450g ish
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/24074/Halo_Aerotrack_Road_Rim

dknwhy

Kinesis crosslight for me. Just got them and after a few rides, I think they’re ace.

oldgit
    Free Member

Can’t find the un machined open pros?

oldgit
    Free Member

Can’t find the un machined open pros?

MrSmith
    Free Member

He might mean CD grey ones (which are machined but have the grey coating on them, not to be confused with the ceramic version)

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve got CD’s thought I was missing something. No point paying for CD or Ceramic as they’re ££££’s to rim braking.
    American Classics?

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

Archetypes on your hub of choice. Wide, tubeless ready, tough.

Are Archetypes tubeless ready? I’d somehow got it into my head that they were, but they don’t seem to be marketed as tubeless ready at all.

Googling leads to suggestions that they can be made to work, but it’s not as simple as with Stans or A23s.

tang
    Free Member

Archetype/novatec/d lite here, great set of wheels. For budget cx have a look at dt x 470 rims.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes the Archetypes are tubeless ready. I have two pairs set up this way and they are fine. Just tape the rim up with 3M crossweave tape, fit the Stans valves, add goop and inflate. Easy peasy. I’ve run 25mm Hutch Fusions, 25mm Bonty R3s, 28mm Hutch Sectors and 32mm Vittoria cross tyres like this.

GeForceJunky

I built some silver Open Pro’s onto some Superstar Switch hubs (sale bargains) using silver DT Revolution spokes (cheapish from Rose). Made for a great set of disc commuter wheels with some 25c ‘punchure resistant’ tyres.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road disc wheelset – no idea, please help :)’ is closed to new replies.