Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road disc rotors:Ice tech or freeza?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    Getting some RS685 hydraulics for the cx bike.
    Wondering if it’s worth stumping up more cash for the freeza rotors or sticking with the standard XT quality Icetech rotors?
    Gonna use 160mm rotors and at the moment it has road tyres and gearing for the odd winter road ride.
    I must admit it will spend most of its time round a muddy field when the cx season starts again!
    Views please!
    Thanks,
    Max

honourablegeorge

I’d get the RT76 and not bother with Ice or Freeze

sillyoldman

I’d get freeza for a road bike, but on a CX bike that sees a lot less sustained braking, RT76 or RT86 would be fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pdw
    Free Member

I recently built up a road bike with RS685s. As I wanted to go with 6 bolt wheels, my options were limited, so I went with some Hayes rotors, 160mm front, 140mm rear, and have had no issues so far, including some decent tests coming down Lake District passes.

I think the freeza allows Shimano to go with 140mm rotors. Not sure it’s necessary with bigger discs, particularly for CX.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    Think I’am gonna go with the XT Icetech’s.
    Looks like the mud will clear better on them as well!
    Thanks,
    Max

eshershore
    Free Member

Shimano only make their 140mm freeza in centrelock. They claimed their testing showed 6 bolt did not have enough mass in the spider to act as heatsink.

That is why giant’s Defy disc bikes with hydro brakes have custom tektro 140mm 6 bolt rotors, which giant tested and found worked well despite shimano’s tests on their own rotors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road disc rotors:Ice tech or freeza?’ is closed to new replies.