Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Road disc callipers – suggestions…
  • DrP

I’m on the lookout for some road bb7s for my conversion from flat -> drop alfine commuter/trailer towing bike.

Currently got some (actually VERY good) entry shimano hydraulic discs on there, but will be looking for some mechanical callipers to use with the versa brakes/shifters.
    I’d only ‘known’ about avids, but google brings up a few others (lyras, and ? Shimano ones) – can the hive recommend any other road/cx disc callipers at all? I’m looking at a tight budget, so bear that in mind!

Cheers,

DrP

scotroutes

The new Shimano CX disks might be OK. The previous generation were passable and the Lyras are better for slowing you down in a controlled manner than actually stopping you.

si69jc
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

The new TRP Squire is being released on May 1st and both pads move during braking. Lighter than the BB7s.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Lyras are ***** compared to BB7’s. Pointless. IMHO

orangeboy
    Free Member

As above hope v-twin used mine today for first time and its stunning

jimc101
    Free Member

Shimano CX75’s are very nice, and a big step up from R505’s

ssboggy

Just got some Hayes CX5s,very nicely finished and get good reviews but I haven’t ridden them yet. Will let you know how I get on with them

kcr
    Free Member

If you are using BB7s on a commuting bike, my experience is that they don’t stand up to winter conditions too well. They do work, but corrode easily and get a bit tatty very quickly (I’ve run them for 10 years on my work bike). After 2 pairs of BB7s, I am very interested in the alternatives now appearing, like the new Shimanos and the TRPs, and wonder how well they are constructed, and how they perform.

martymac

+1 for tektro lyras not being up to much, i had a shot of my mates genesis fitted with BB7s, the difference was night and day.
    im gonna try some of the new shimano ones i think.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I am currently debating the same and the Hayes CX 5s are favourite at the mo.

With the Shimano ones, be aware that they changed the lever ratio in the brake levers on the #700 series (5700, 6700 etc.) and the new calipers are designed to work with this higher ratio so may feel spongy with standard road brakes.

Andy

Hmm I have a Hope V-twin in the garage waiting for the right build to come along. Lovely piece of kit

midlifecrashes

I have the CX75s, had them a few hundred miles on a Fargo. Nice, easy neat installation. Decent stopping power on 160s. Bit more awkward pad adjustment than BBs, needs a 2.5? hex key at fairly tight angle inside the rear frame angle which makes a multitool near impossible for me. You’ll likely want some way of adjusting cable tension too, I have crosstop levers with barrel adjusters which do the job but you could use inline ones. Using current (5700/3) series 105 STIs and they feel good.

sambob
    Free Member

Lyra’s are awful brakes. Absolutely crap.

CountZero

There was a bike at the Bespoke show with the Sqyres fitted:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Spyres I think – they do look good – I wonder whether they will be doing a mtb version as well.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by the TRP Parabox for my CX bike, much better looking than the Hope system in my opinion.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Oops, double post.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That squire looks like a rehash of the old rst disk from 1999

bol

BB7s work great but look a bit clunky compared with the more recent alternatives (if that matters). My Hopes are definitely more modulated, but no more powerful than the BBs were with recent Shimano shifters.

Dibbs
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

both those converters look gash…

what is needed is better brifters for the BB7s, with a speed dial system as for mtb levers.

zilog6128

I’ve had the V-Twin since it came out, great bit of kit. Agree that it would look terrible on a sleek road bike, but on a cx bike it looks fine I think.

bol

Neither adaptor is pretty, but the tighter they’re tucked under the stem the better they look. Not sure that mahoosive horns on the shifters to accommodate master cylinders are any more attractive.

clubber
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

DrP – I’d suggest either getting BB7s or waiting a few months to see what comes on the market and how good they actually are. The Spyres look good but until people have used them for a while, it’s hard to know.

IIRC Samurai had a pretty nasty issue with Lyras where worn pads meant that the caliper could lock on when the internal thread turned too far and basically popped out.

midlifecrashes
    boblo
    Free Member

@ clubber. I have Lyras. They took a bit of fettling to get right and I changed the discs for Avid as they pulsed on the standard discs. Do you have a linky to Samuri’s experience as that is quite worrying….

theflatboy
    Free Member

Looking forward to the trickled down road hydraulic discs sans-shifters so i can finally get drops on my pompetamine. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

boblo

Can’t find it but it was a year or so ago. I did find this comment which suggests that they lost braking rather than locked on though:

clubber – Member
    Samuri had a bit of a horror story about Lyras – something about the main thread effectively becoming unscrewed and then providing no braking…

(FWIW, my BB7 road calipers with Campag ergos work great)
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-many-cx-riders-will-change-to-discs-on-there-next-purchase/page/3#post-3342913

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Road disc callipers – suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.