Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road Cycling in Scotland
  • sadmadalan

My better half and I are looking to combine two holidays into one, road cycling and Scotland. However given that I have been to the French Alps more times that I have been to Scotland (and that is a very sad statement) I have no idea of where to start looking. We are looking at somewhere which we could use as a base and cycle out from each day. Looking for 4-5 days of cycling upto 60-70 miles in a day but with some days shorter. Ideally near somewhere that if (when) is rains we can wimp out and do something different? Happy to have two places to and drive somewhere else midweek.

Any ideas?

(My two sons think that we should head off to one or more of the 7-Stanes, that idea has been vetoed already)

scotroutes

Lots of lovely quiet roads in Dumfries and Galloway and/or the Borders.

The Highlands are also lovely but with fewer roads due to the terrain. As a result, many of the roads can be a bit busier. You could certainly keep yourself occupied in or near Inverness though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Scotroutes nailed in.

D&G and the borders are great on the roads.

Peebles woukd be a pretty good base

swiss01
    Free Member

i like both d&g and the borders but for me perthshire and angus are beyond compare for road cycling.

fasthaggis

perthshire and angus are beyond compare for road cycling

I don’t know about beyond compare 😉 ,but they are very good and with a few more roads to avoid traffic.Perth would be a good base,lots of quiet roads cutting across the big main ones and you are not far away if you want to head up to the highlands or jump on the train for a night out in edinburger/glesga 🙂 .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road Cycling in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.