• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jwab.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • road cycling in fethiye-turkey?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Im going off on holiday to turkey (near fethiye) in a month or so, and i was wondering if anyone has done any cycling out there and what it was like.. (road conditions, drivers etc) 😕

ton

been to fethiye 5 times. i would not cycle on the roads there…ever.
    the mountains on the otherhand look fantastic for riding.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

as above , was there a few weeks ago and there’s no way id road ride out there !!
    bloody mad drivers with no road rules at all , anything goes by the look of it !
    have a fab safe holiday , its lovely out there

wallop

Ditto above, plus it will be really fricking hot!

turbo1397
    Free Member

Is it that bad? I’ve cycled abroad quite a bit (greece, italy, spain).. heat doesn’t bother me as id be riding early morning.. I was more worried about road conditions etc.. 😕

ton

fethiye is a mad busy city…..they drive from light to light at mad speeds. motorbike whizzing about everywhere, and the dolmusus ferrying the tourists seem to have no road sense at all.

take a mtb and get on the lanes/tracks on the non coast side of the main coast dual carriageway.

Simon

Been to that part of Turkey in the summer a couple of times and it was unbelievably hot, as soon as the sun came up it was HOT and just got hotter.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

The roads are poor at best !! …. some roads are virtually dirt, more like bobs road !
    A good ride out from fethiye would be to the top of bagada mountain , awesome views from the top, get to watch all the para gliders throw them selves off the top while having a coffee and then hurtle back down the mountain …

turbo1397
    Free Member

Seems an overwhelming air on the side of not to take the roadbike.. I’ll prob just take the m/bike then and head for the hills!

stumpyjon

It’ll be 30 degs early in the morning heading to 40 during the day. I didn’t think the roads were that bad last year but then I didn’t drive in many towns.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I was actually going to try and stay away from the towns and head out into the hills on the roads. But if everyone says the roads are bad i’ll just take my m/bike. Shame, as i taking the roadbike lets you see a bit more of the country.. 🙁

footflaps

I’ve motorbiked around Turkey (6 day loop out of Fethiye). There are some amazing roads out there, a really nice coastal road from Fethiye and lots to see. Driving is a bit mad, but not too bad out of the main cities.

D0NK

What most have already said roads look scary around fethiye, you might be better off if you are based up in the hills but road conditions will be a little more interesting. Done a little running around hisaronu and like the look of it for mtbing – apart from the guard dogs the goat/sheep herders use….lets just say aracer would not be at all amused about their complete and utter lack of control, scary stuff.

keng38
    Free Member

You could always head past the outdoor amphitheater and follow the coast road or even head towards the ghost town on the old back road (big flag on hillside above tombs)
    Personally never seen a cyclist yet and been to Fethiye every year for last 6 years.
    Turbo roads in Turkey are nothing like Spain, Greece or Italy, you would definitely need to make sure you are insured medically before you go. Check if Mtb is classed as a “dangerous sport”.

And don’t do a jeep safari (google – jeep safari Fethiye)

Marmoset
    Free Member

When we were over there several years back the driving was bad. We did the paragliding thing, the truck ride up there was so terrifying that running off a mountain strapped to another bloke seemed pretty relaxing!

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thanks for all the reply’s folks. seems like its not a wise idea to take the road bike. im going to take the m/bike instead.. 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

stumpy_m4
    The roads are poor at best !! …. some roads are virtually dirt, more like bobs road !
    A good ride out from fethiye would be to the top of bagada mountain , awesome views from the top, get to watch all the para gliders throw them selves off the top while having a coffee and then hurtle back down the mountain …

I’ve been reliably informed that the scariest part of that Paragliding trip is the drive up!!

Been to that area many times and were I to ever take a bike, it’d be a MTB or cross bike with decent tyres.

Strava will give you an idea of some routes and the ‘back’ road to Kayakoy was pretty steep in a car.

Prepare for some hills. 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

When we were over there several years back the driving was bad. We did the paragliding thing, the truck ride up there was so terrifying that running off a mountain strapped to another bloke seemed pretty relaxing!

Yep, same experience. The fact that our trcuk blew a tyre on the way up didn’t help us to relax!

senorj

Yep, same experience. The fact that our trcuk blew a tyre on the way up didn’t help us to relax!

When I did it the bloke in front of me took off & arched back into the mountainside. 😯
    I was nervous but would rather jump than take my chances on the jeep ride back down!

keng38
    Free Member

I believe there is a cafe at the top now but the Paragliders only go so far up.
    I bet they would give you a lift up with your bike for a few quid.

jwab
    Free Member

I’m out near kayakoy at the moment and can safely say it is hot! Also the roads are ok ie tarmac but scary enough driving let alone being on a road bike. Drivers aren’t great, roads can be narrow and you will soon be forced into the rubble at the side. There look to be loads of fantastic trail opportunities tho so I would go with a mtb and hope you are a hell of a lot fitter than me, in which case you will have a great time!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘road cycling in fethiye-turkey?’ is closed to new replies.