Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Road Cycling at Night
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Anyone do it? just at the moment I only seem to be getting out on a Saturday or Sunday morning early hours in a bid to ride on some quiet roads with no morons.
    If I’m not off on those days then Road cycling takes a back seat and I stick to the MTB.
    I have plenty of lights but am I going to dazzle peoples retinas with my mtb lights on a road bike.

Trying to find some quieter roads between Darwen and Bolton to get some practice in.

simmy
    Free Member

I do but I don’t go very far from Home and just tend to do loops around the area.

I split between the Road bike and MTB at night but, with the MTB, I just go round the local cycle paths.

The road bike I only ride on Roads i know as I’m always worried about hitting potholes etc.

In fact, the last time I rode the Road bike at night I just went up and down our main road about 8 times, got 20 miles in just over an hour 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes. I get away as close to 5pm as possible. Take care through the traffic then I’m soon in the lanes.
    It feels pretty safe, I can see them and they can see me.
    Spooky sometimes. And I can smell peoples dinners cooking as I pass through the villages.
    No problems so far.

tom200

I did a bit last winter, but hated it so I stick to mtb or cyclocross (some road). Rural roads that are pleasant during the day, become like riding through a tunnel at night. Nighttime views are much nicer on my local mtb loops.

tlr

Every week for years. Just done 60km this evening round the Peak.

Very, very bright lights front and rear, and a group of mates. I wouldn’t do it on my own I have to say.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah this is all that worries me at Night as the Main Road A666 has a few deep grids which are fine if you hit them on a mtb but I can see my wrists being broken on the road bike.
    Once out of Darwen or Bolton on the A666 it has options to get on quieter roads.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I ride on the road solo at night all the time. Do 75 km quite regularly as well as early morning dark rides. With good lights it is not a problem and if it is dry it is quite nice. When it is wet cold and dark it is just work but sometimes you have to work.

stumpy01

Would never get out in the week if I didn’t ride at night.

It can be a bit mental at rush hour, but calms down fairly quickly.
    I make sure I have at least two rear lights, fluo bands on my ankles etc.

mtbel
    Free Member

every week here all year round. Just back from a club ride.
    ride solo at night quite a lot, usually 2-4hours but have been known to stay out for the odd night century as well.
    single XLM on the bars, 2 front silicone leds and 3 rears (one under the saddle, one at the base of seatpost and the other round the rear hub).
    it’s safer than riding in the daylight IMO.

fasthaggis

Anyone do it?

Yes,I call it commuting 😉 I never give it a second thought now.
    Another week or two and I might even make it home before dark.
    Light the bike and yourself up and use some High Viz.
    I like those wee lights out of Tesco or Aldi as an extra ,and dangle them off the back of the saddle.I have this theory that moving stuff may get seen better from behind,so I always wear ankle reflectors as well.

hora
    Free Member

Problem is winding lanes?

allthepies
    Free Member

Dude, with your luck I wouldn’t bother 😆

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Would my C&B seen 1200 Lumen light not be too bright on the road or should I just crack on. Also have a Less powerful Cateye on that’s on strobe mode.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, loads. The later the better in fact, because the roads are the quietest they’ll be. I’ve gone out for 3hr rides at 10pm before now – it’s great!

I have two rear lights, a powerful front, spare flashy front and bright clothing, reflective crap everywhere.

Would my C&B seen 1200 Lumen light not be too bright on the road

Yes, but it presumably has a low setting? You’ll need to point it down a bit too.

mtbel
    Free Member

Would my C&B seen 1200 Lumen light not be too bright on the road or should I just crack on. Also have a Less powerful Cateye on that’s on strobe mode.

I have no idea what your lights are but ideally you want something with a fairly focused spot rather than a flood patern and ideally at least 3 modes. for climbs I switch to low, on the flat mainly med and only use full power for particularly shitty roads and fast descents. remember, if you live anywhere at all hilly you’ll be hitting 40mph+ at some point most rides.
    When cars are approaching I often shield the right hand side of my light out of courtesy seeing as they aren’t dippable.
    Oh.. and never use a **** off bright strobe!

benji
    Free Member

Yes regularly, tonight was a night full of rabbits, they were everywhere. I’m pleased I’m not the only one who has smelt peoples tea in little villages, friday night is the worst, there is a mobile chip van, it smells so good when it’s really cold, and you have done about twenty miles.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have done quite a lot of it this year, some commuting and some with the lads from the roadie club. It’s ok when it’s busy but not ideal. I did an audax a few weeks ago and the last three hours involved riding through the Cotswolds in the dead of nigh on some seriously quiet roads. It was fantastic and much better than the busy local roads.

wilburt
    Free Member

Night riding is brilliant for either local short rides or more remote epics which are easy to put together here in Suffolk, the roads are less busy, lights mean cars are easier to spot and there’s a real buzz from being in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from home at 10 o’clock at night. The only down side is not being able to sleep when you get home.
    Try a Dunwich Dynamo as baptism of fire!

MarkE25

As mentioned above, I feel more visible at night than on a dull day. A high vis jacket, a couple of rear lights and a Diablo on the bars are what I use. Also have fluoro spoke sleeves to make myself more visible riding across junctions. It’s great riding at night as it is nice and quiet if you avoid main roads. Just got in after a quick 20 miles in the dark peak

Free Member

I have done about 37 miles tonight and I would say have a spare battery or like me run 2 lights as the last thing you need if for a light to go down or the battery to fail. Stick to roads you know with good surfaces and I enjoy night time riding a lot and have even had owls flying in front of me down lanes twice this year.

jonba
    Free Member

Yep, I tend not to ride the summer bike in the dark as I struggle to see some of the bad bits of road until it is too late. The cross bike has 28mm tyres and tough wheels so the odd bit of dodgy road doesn’t phase me. Around this time of year I try and do 40-50miles on my way home from work once a week to complement the turbo. About to start the chain gang back up again to get some fast group riding. First race is 8th March.

somafunk

I have a C&B Seen 1200 lumen light the same as yours and i have used it on the road but on the lowest setting and pointing down 10ft from my front wheel, even at this it offers enough light when out on the road but as others have said it is a flood beam and you have to be careful with it in traffic to avoid dazzling drivers.

Thankfully meeting other road users where i stay on a night ride is a rare occurrence as where i stay is pretty much one of the least populated areas of scotland (galloway) – thus night riding on the road is great fun as you can use the entire road without fear of anything coming towards you, on the rare occasion when there is another road user/car you can see their lights either from behind you or in front from a mile off.

Done over 30 night miles since sunday night and i could count the number of cars i’ve met on one hand, in fact i encountered more deer than cars, quite a few owls and 1 fat badger who galloped down the road beside me before diving through a hedge.

My roadie bike/tripster has a dynamo hub so it uses a dedicated road front light (see thread here for light) and the beam for road riding is better than the C&B seen, not as bright (obviously) but better focused for road riding. I’ve procrastinated for years about getting a dynamo hub but the simplicity of just jumping on a bike and having light all the time is amazing – so glad i bought it and i would not be without one now. The extra weight of the hub is a total non issue, it’s 200g heavier than a normal hub but how much does a battery pack weigh that is strapped to your bike?, and the drag is totally non existent – i was never a roadie cyclist so i couldn’t give two hoots about my speed or beating previous times with the worry of perhaps losing 5 watts of leg power to the dynamo.

cp

it’s safer than riding in the daylight IMO.

this. other traffic gives way far more at night than day.

wilburt
    Free Member

Night riding is brilliant for either local short rides or more remote epics which are easy to put together here in Suffolk, the roads are less busy, lights mean cars are easier to spot and there’s a real buzz from being in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from home at 10 o’clock at night. The only down side is not being able to sleep when you get home.
    Try a Dunwich Dynamo as baptism of fire!

iainc

I am a mile on main road and then rural high level quiet roads, farms, wind farm etc. Scares the shite out of me on a nite ride. Routes that are idyllic in daylight become gremlin infested, wolf dominated, ghost inhabited holes of soulless existence…..

No, I wish I could, but its too darned scary… 😀

squiff
    Free Member

Yes and have done for years, two very bright lights on the front and rear, not many street lights on the lonely back roads of the yorkshire dales, did 40 miles tonight and loved every minute of it and not spooky at all

mtbel
    Free Member

it’s 200g heavier than a normal hub but how much does a battery pack weigh that is strapped to your bike?,

slightly less than 200g TBF, lasts 6+ hours (never needed longer) but it’s also obvs removeable (which does matter to some).
    Dynamo sounds pretty cool though. I would have read your link but HOW LONG IS THAT THREAD??? 😯 .

eskay

Do at least one night ride per week. I have about a 5 mile loop that I do several times. Used to go much further but spooked myself (always ride solo) several times whilst on remote lanes (in the fog!). God the mind can be an awful thing sometimes.

Did not help when I was miles from anywhere and was going up a steep climb when I saw someone with a torch at the side of the road, freaked me right out!

Gary_C

Yep. been out on the road bike tonight. A clockwise loop from home taking in Belthorn, Edgworth, Turton, Bromley X, Egerton, Belmont & Tockholes. 23.5miles.

Saw a group of mtb’ers who had just come off Darwen Moor down Lions Den, gave them a cheery hello as I zipped past. Bet that surprised them, a cheery roadie! Mind you I’m a mtb’er who just happens to have a road bike, not t’other way round. 🙂

EDIT: Lights: 2 Smart 1/2 watt led’s on the rear, Exposure Enduro & C & B Seen 1200lumen on the bars. I just switch the C & B seen on when I’m on the unlit roads. Also wear a Proviz riding jacket.

TiRed

double post

maccruiskeen

And I can smell peoples dinners cooking as I pass through the villages.
    No problems so far.

After a delayed train ride home when I lived in the Highlands – I should have arrive in Inverness at 2pm but instead arrived at 2am – I had to ride 25 miles home – cross country, no traffic, no moon, no lights on the bike. I just had to plug along in the dark buzzing the rumble strip at the edge of the road to have an idea of where I was. Its was really strange how much more you notice smell – I could smell still-warm engines in parked cars that must have been parked 50 yards from the road

TiRed

Just back from a club ride followed by a 12 mile ride home. Most of my evening commutes and training is done in the dark. Exposure Joystick and Strada for lighting. Fixed wheel road bike, 69 minutes, 21.6 mph, spin, spin, spin!

egb81
    Free Member

I used to do weekly 50km night road rides in the winter but tend to just extend my commutes home now I’ve changed jobs. I have the same lighting setup as TiRed though I don’t use the Joystick on road as I don’t like the weight on my head when riding road, I find it hurts my neck after a while. Just a decent bar mounted light is sufficient though as even in windy country lanes, you still have much better line of sight than you do in the woods. A decent rear light (I have a Moon Comet, which I’d highly recommend) will give you piece of mind, especially if it is bright enough on the low setting to light up your entire rear wheel. I find solo night road riding pretty dull though you can get great views over the city (in Bristol at least) when you top out some of the climbs. Riding with a mate makes battering in the winter winds in the dark a bit more bearable as you’ve got someone to talk to and to use as a wind-break when you’re knackered.

TiRed

My joystick’s on the bars pointed down as a pothole spotter. Three lights on the back, two Cateye Rapid micros and a small Fenderbot. I always feel MORE visible at night!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

This is what i’m wanting to hear. There are nights mainly on my late shifts which finish at 2130. I get home have something to eat and im wide awake and usually sit there watching rubbish on telly or playing the Xbox when I could be doing some quick road loops.

somafunk

Forgot about my rear light, as egb81 mentions above i also use a moon comet but i have it pointing slightly down so it illuminates the rear wheel and road area around the bike as the flashing mode is very bright and quite off putting/dazzling when viewed from behind (i’ve viewed my light from the comfort of a car seat as my bro rode the bike), when it is pointed down in such a way it actually gives more illumination as there is a surface for the light to bounce off and it is far easier on the eyes of any driver coming up behind you.

I also have a dynamo powered rear light that is mounted on my seat post and is on all the time when i am cycling just like the front light, whether that be daytime or night time it’s illuminated.

Really bright flashing or strobing rear (and front) lights are painful to view and very distracting from the point of a driver and are counter productive to road safety when cycling – they are totally unnecessary.

medoramas
    Free Member

I really like night road riding. Especially that where I live (Torbay) there is almost no cars on the roads after 9PM – I’m talking about back lanes and the roads leading to cross-ferries. Plus if there is a car coming from any direction I can see it for miles. Sometimes I even listen to the music on the earphones (which I’d never do during the day)… 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

To the OP: the A666 is a dangerous road, day or night, thanks to the high speeds and poor sightlines. My neighbour is a PC in Blackburn and he has told me to stay away from that road as he’s attended three deaths of cyclists in one year. You get a lot of young, inexperienced drivers racing between the two towns, which probably explains its very poor record.

Mind you, your alternative is the Tockholes road, which is just as dangerous, hence the half million quid they spent on all those humps and chicanes.

Can’t you drive over to the Ribble Valley? We night-ride out from Whalley and after commuting time the lanes are nice and quiet.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been doing overnight rides for years: http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/

Best advice if you’re doing it regularly is to buy a proper road light from one of the German manufacturers. The beam is shaped so it doesn’t dazzle and you don’t need to angle it down.

benp1

As a driver, I notice flashing lights more quickly than solid ones, and I’m more conscious of cyclists

If I have one light then it’s on flash for visibility, but I usually have two front and two back with silicone lights for the front and back as backup

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Road Cycling at Night’ is closed to new replies.