• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road cranks
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have recently inherited a Kona PhD ‘shed find’ that I am sorting out as a commuter for myself. I have been riding MTB’s exclusively for 25 years so have no knowledge of road orientated bikes.

I feel like a rocker perusing scooter parts.

The cranks on the bike are the standard FSA Gossamer. These are unbelievably flexible. Is this normal for road kit or am I just too damn fat for any part called Gossamer (not the johnny)?
    I have put superstar plastic flats on that do give perhaps a little more leverage than an SPD pedal.

Is this the normal and expected feel from road cranks, or would changing them out for something more substantial improve my road riding experience?

Thanks in advance

atlaz
    Free Member

Not normal.

gatsby
    Free Member

Are all the chainring bolts present and correct? Gossamer is a fairly budget crankset, but it’s not known for being overly flexy…

G

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

It’s definitely the crank arms that are bending. I can feel it when riding but can actually see them bend on the stationary bounce around on the patio test

dragon
    Free Member

I have those cranks and while I’m fairly light, I’ve never noticed any significant flex in them, compared to any other (Shimano/SRAM) crank I’ve ridden.

Are you sure it’s not frame flex or knackered bottom bracket? I can’t see how a crank can bend on a stationary bounce test.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Man, I must be fat as.

I have checked all the usual points of movement, the BB is a square taper and runs fine with no play.
    Chainring bolts all present and correct.

I will have another close look tonight to see if I am imagining it or if I am getting an optical illusion somehow that makes the cranks appear to flex. I guess if I can feel it, my eye’s might ‘want’ to see it.

njee20
    Free Member

Quite likely you can flex the BB shell stamping on it whilst stationary, I’d be surprised if you can really bend the cranks though.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks all.

igm

Check for spindle breakage.

I had a set of XTs crack their spindle and they did go flexy briefly.

Edit: forget it. Square taper

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road cranks’ is closed to new replies.