Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 448 total)
  • Road: Could Not Resist….
  • Vortexracing

I phoned Westbrook this morning and they’re sending out a new headset. Hopefully it will arrive tomo and I can finish the build.

I must admit I am impressed with Westbrook.

and whats the full spec wwaswas?

wwaswas

just had a sneaky hour at lunchtime on it.

gosh, it does feel fast.

Like it’s urging you to stay in the big ring and keep pushing. I’m impressed.

Build is a full 105 5700 groupset from Ribble (getting brakes for the 5600 from my cross bike proved tricky)

Plus some Easton kit for the bar, stem and seatpost.

Ambrosio wheelset came from sport pursuit a while back.

marsdenman
    Free Member

my pro arrived… 🙂
    54cm
    Frame, with bottle bolts, headset cups etc 992g. Fork, spot on 400g with crown race fitted. Forks will need around 6″ trimming off – is that a job for careful measuring then application of a fine tooth hacksaw?

oh – packaging and instructions etc – 3400’ish g 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I must admit I am impressed with Westbrook.

They were my prefered (not quite)LBS when I lived up north, and often stuff on the website was even cheeper in the shop. Dunno if that applied to bikes/frames.

podman
    Free Member

I was wondering if anybody has built theirs up with wider (21mm+) rims or tyres?

I’ve just popped my Fulcrum wheel (20.5mm) with a Specialized 23/25 Roubaix in the back and there’s already just a tiny amount of clearance at the chainstays (probably less than I’d be happy riding with). I was intending on getting one of the “new” 23mm wide rims in the future and running it with either a 23 or 25 tyre, but I’m concerned that with a bit of deflection at the rim that they’ll be rubbing.

Alpha1653

Just had a proper look at the new frame and inside the head tube there appear to be a fair few burrs. I’ve never built up a carbon frame before – do I just whack the headset in and force it in or sand down the burrs before pressing in the cups? Cheers.

Vortexracing

I was hoping to use 23mm rims with 23 tyres.

I tried last night to get my 28 tyres on a open pro and it only just fit. i.e. 1-2mm clearance on the chainstay

It would be nice to see if somebody has fitted a 23mm wide rim and tyre to make sure they will fit

dknwhy

I’m really impressed with Westbrook too. I opted for a Scott Addict R15. Arrived within 48 hours and rides like a dream:

Westbrook Scott Addict

Pretty good value I reckon.

GJP
    Free Member

My 52cm CR1 Pro arrived this morning 1 minute into my alloted 1 hour.

I think I am also missing the crown race – so will call Westbrook cycles tomorrow.

However, should there not be some plastic cable guide below the bottom bracket shell? mine does not even appear to have a hole never mind the plastic guides. How does that work then?

Can someone please advise.

Thanks
    Gary

crikey
    Free Member

If anyone has bought the Addict with the seatmast, be aware that the height of your saddle can vary from type to type, so if you decide to swap saddles, your seat height will change by up to 2 cms.

Cut carefully, and save the cut off bit to use as a spacer.

marsdenman
    Free Member

However, should there not be some plastic cable guide below the bottom bracket shell? mine does not even appear to have a hole never mind the plastic guides. How does that work then?

Double check all your packaging – The guide on my frame had fallen off -as i took the frame out of the big bag it was packed in the cable guide dropped to the floor (It’s only attached using some sort of double sided tape) Guess I call that a stroke of luck! I also made a point of keeping all the packaging until I complete the build – just in case – and that (the build) is a couple of weeks off yet.

Chris

GJP
    Free Member

Chris, Many thanks, minor panic over. Mine was still in the bag with chain catcher. Gary

I can’t wait to get mine built but planning on waiting for the new 11 speed Ultegra groupset to be available, only another 4-6 weeks.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m really impressed with Westbrook too. I opted for a Scott Addict R15. Arrived within 48 hours and rides like a dream:

Westbrook Scott Addict

Pretty good value I reckon.

Bloody good value! SRAM Red for £1799 and only 6.8kg.

Could you build up a CR1 to the same/similar spec for that much or less?

dknwhy

Bloody good value! SRAM Red for £1799 and only 6.8kg.

Could you build up a CR1 to the same/similar spec for that much or less?

I figured the group set and wheels were worth almost the asking price alone and they basically chucked in a carbon frame and other bits for free 😀
    Such a nice bike to ride!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have got one of them and just sold my existing bike whole, if I’d seen them before.

Maybe best I didn’t though.

🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

WANT

WANT

WANT

Can I block this thread, it’s not helping my unabashed consumerism?

Argggghhhhhhh must resist.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I fancied a bike with a seat mast till a mate pointed out what crikey points out AND if you ever take your bike abroad in a bag – its not going to fit without a fight.

Fellstone
    Free Member

Its twins…

Frame3 by Fellstone, on Flickr

😯

Alpha1653

Whoop! Build complete. I wouldn’t comment on the garden if I were you as my mum will hunt you down. You don’t want that. Anyway, 17lb with Aksiums, 105 gp set and MTB pedals. I’ve only had time for a quick up & down the road so far but it’s SO much comfier than my old Orbea. Very happy!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does look nice, but:

marsdenman – Member
    my pro arrived…
    54cm
    Frame, with bottle bolts, headset cups etc 992g. Fork, spot on 400g

I ride a 1100/400gm frame/fork bought on ebay for £150.

£350 for 108gm…?

Alpha1653

Just done the first ride out – 16 miles and I’m happy to report it’s SOOOOOO much smoother than my old Orbea and, at over 4lb lighter it climbs like a goat. Happy days.

wwaswas

I ride a 1100/400gm frame/fork bought on ebay for £150.

£350 for 108gm…?

I tend to take the view that everyone makes different value judgments about what they ride either financially or aesthetically.

The race to buy the cheapest carbon frame per gramme from ebay probably isn’t one that most people on this thread want to take part in?

damitamit
    Free Member

Got round to building mine up this weekend. Not quite finished (excuse the white stem, waiting for a black Kalloy to arrive) but nearly there.

Vortexracing

wow damitamit, that looks great, I was all set to put SRAM Force on mine, but I have just been offered a silly deal on an Ultegra groupset from my LBS, so i’m sat here deliberating SRAM one minute Ultegra the next aahhhhh 🙄

come on spill the beans, spec and weight please? 😉

TiRed

I’d get the Ultegra – it’s a great set, and with a light frame the build will end up with a light bike anyway.

If I hadn’t just bought the Giant, I’d have been very tempted, but my road bike situation is well catered for already.

Vortexracing

I’d get the Ultegra – it’s a great set, and with a light frame the build will end up with a light bike anyway.

I know the difference in price between the Force and this cracking deal on the Ultegra is about £380 and 300grms 🙄

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Saw a bloke wander out of my lbs today with a Scott Frameset. Bet it was one of you lot!

Is the Addict with SRAM Red still a good bike? Been looking at it and the Canyon Ultimate CF. Never used SRAM before, so wondering if it will be worth a punt. Price is about the same.

damitamit
    Free Member

come on spill the beans, spec and weight please?

Mix of Red/Force/Rival, Crank Bros Cobalt 11 seatpost, Soul S3.0 wheels. Weight tbc once I’ve got the new stem, changed the tubes etc.

eyerideit
    Free Member

damitamit, you doing the Dynamo on that?

I’ll keep an eye out for you at Pub on the Park.

dknwhy

@curiousyellow – it’s a great bike. I was looking at the Canyon too but the spec on the Scott wins hands down plus no delays on shipping.
    If you look at the price of SRAM Red (approx £1100) Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (£400+ with tyres and tubes) – there’s your money almost spent already plus you get a carbon frame from Scott too! Even the cables are Gore, Fizik tape too.
    Only downside is that it’s 2011 spec but that doesn’t really bother me.
    SRAM shifting is ace btw. I prefer it to Shimano as it’s less fussy but each to their own.
    Bike required some building – fit bars, front wheel and adjust gears – nothing too technical though.

damitamit
    Free Member

damitamit, you doing the Dynamo on that?

Not doing the dynamo this year 🙁 Got a friend’s wedding that day.

Besides, this is way too pimp for the dynamo and lacking an actual dynamo.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Bah – I deliberated too long whether to go 105 or Ultegra and now Ribble have sold out of the grey Ultegra at £550 with no idea of when they may get more stock.

Has anyone seen anywhere else doing it at that price before I order it from Merlin at £580?

Vortexracing

I think Merlin are the cheapest and offer a 12-30 sprocket option as well, if you need it.

damitamit
    Free Member

Plus Merlin have 3% Quidco, bringing it a little closer to the Ribble price.

Vortexracing

for you guys looking for mid range wheels, I was speaking to Derek at Wheelsmith today enquiring about the race23 they do and he pointed me to these, which he claims are a step up from the race 23’s.

and only £10 more and tubeless ready if that ‘floats your boat’

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/108-new-race24

mlpinto
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I may actually go with the silver option at £540. Looking forward to getting this built at the weekend…

Vortexracing

Looking forward to getting this built at the weekend…

piccies when built, just popped the headset into mine, but I’m missing all the other stuff, hopefully may have it for the middle of next week.

wheels from wheelsmith may take a week longer.

Must resist stripping all the bit’s off my Hewitt Carbon just to try this new frame out 🙄

damitamit
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a lightweight cable kit, just noticed Singletrackbikes are selling Ashima Reaction kits for a tenner (both gear and brake). Just ordered a brake kit in black.

This kit: http://fairwheelbikes.com/ashima-reaction-brake-cablehousing-kit-p-4193.html

Here: http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b0s390p13250/ASHIMA_Reaction_Road_Brake_Kit

Vortexracing

does it do both brakes?

damitamit
    Free Member

I would guess so. The photo shows 2 cables.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘Road: Could Not Resist….’ is closed to new replies.