Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 448 total)
  • Road: Could Not Resist….
  • Vortexracing

Really can’t see the point in this, it just seems like a spending exercise. Buy a hugely discounted frame, for no other reason than the facts its hugely discounted. Then build it up with shite parts.

Not strictly true for all of us.

I was after a nice road bike, but thought it may get to this time next year before I could get one.

The fact that I can et a decent frame at what is without doubt a very good deal, meant I bought it now.

and not all are putting shite parts on it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh sorry, I haven’t bothered to read the whole thread, that’s just the impression I was getting (off the above photo especially!)

wwaswas

So people should buy a full price Frame for £500 and hang their bits off there?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Really can’t see the point in this, it just seems like a spending exercise. Buy a hugely discounted frame, for no other reason than the facts its hugely discounted. Then build it up with shite parts.

Didnt you previously compare it to an alloy Canyon?

Its a top quality frame at budget price. Some people might be building it up with budget parts to have a bike which at its heart is quality and will bear upgrading, some might be swapping parts over from a frame which has been “outgrown” by having its parts upgraded over time, thinking they’d never be able to afford a newer/better frame.

People like vortex are starting an already-planned quality build early, even if it might mean running it with, say, cheaper wheels for a year.

I haven’t bought one but I can totally see the point, if I hadn’t picked up a half-price Lapierre in the CRC private sale earlier this year I’d have snapped one up, having fallen into one of the aforementioned categories.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Didnt you previously compare it to an alloy Canyon?

Yes, but what’s that got to do with anything?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

only that you’ve already said you don’t understand why someone might want a high-end carbon frame when they can buy a fully built alloy-framed bike for the same price once its built up.

But I see you’ve already invoked the I.N.R.A.T.S defence, so fair enough!

edhornby

I think that one of these frames with the current tiagra would be a fine build – some who have posted on this thread are on a budget and they will end up with a hell of a lot better bike than the same spend with a mainline dealer, better probably than a boardman… what’s not to like ?

dazh

Guilty as charged. I mainly bought it cos it was a massive bargain, and I already have a perfectly decent roadie which meets my needs. But when has buying bikes ever been about common sense or practicality? If that was the case I’d have two bikes instead of 6. In my defence out of all the bikes I have the roadie is the oldest and most in need of ‘upgrading’, and is the bike I ride most so it’ll get a lot of use.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Just had the ‘order despatched’ e-mail 🙂

Build thoughts
    So, it seems i’ll be doing my frame a disservice with the following but, hey, it’s mine and improvements I expect i’ll see in The Rider will far outweigh pretty much anything equipment upgrades may offer… 😉

Groupset – tiagra – £290 @ merlin
    Finishing kit – merckx bars, tape, stem & prologo saddle from PX £40 – seems a steal at that price and cheap enough to swap out if ‘rider position fine tuning’ is required?
    Deda seatpost, £22, PX
    520 spd’s
    Rubino 3 pro – £36’ish / pair – Ribble + tubes

Wheels – aargh – so much to choose from.
    Merlin are doing Tiagra Groupset with a pair of RS30’s for 390.00 (white rims though – may be worth a call to see if they would offer the black?)

Askium – £145 @ Decathlon.

Bargain basement – RS501 – £66 @ Ribble.

All takes me above my £850 total spend limit but, ain’t that always the way 🙂

wwaswas

Has anyone used the chain chatcher thing that came with their frame?

where have you put it in relation to mech/inner ring?

gurufred
    Free Member

Gonna use one of Pros as a replacement for my trusty but flimsy Planet X SL Pro with old SRAM Red and EA50 wheels

After all I am going to the Alps for the Tour and all this Summer. For a week. That deserves a new frame. Obviously.

Hell I might even get involved in the Bath Crits next uni year for a change, rather than leading the heckle brigade.

njee20
    Free Member

Has anyone used the chain chatcher thing that came with their frame?

where have you put it in relation to mech/inner ring?

Is it a dog fang type:

Line it up close to the inner ring.

wwaswas

that’s the chap.

‘hook’ facing forwards or backwards?

dharmstrong
    Free Member

I’d guess at backwards otherwise it might catch if the alignment is out a bit?

Vortexracing

All takes me above my £850 total spend limit

true but I doubt you will get owt better for that sort of money.

and if you are already above the spend limit then sod it and get Dura Ace and Zipp. 😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

for wwasas here you go

for vortex – if i’m going ***t or bust….. bling!

Vortexracing

yip that is bling, when are they delivering it 😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

yip that is bling, when are they delivering it

hope it arrives around the time my ZIPP stuff comes back from being gold plated 😉

Vortexracing

show off !!!

njee20
    Free Member

Re the Dog Fang – screw in front of the seat tube, so pointing forward. Alignment won’t be an issue, and if if was it’ll just get knocked out of the way of the chainring.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but cr1 related…
    Anyone know what headset size/ standard I need to fit my ’12 cr1 comp? The caged bearing Ritchey unit looked horrendous when I took it apart yesterday and has developed a horrible creak….
    Thanks!

snownrock

Cheap and relatively light wheels here for those on a budget build:

£149.99 (1622g + skewers)
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/stock-wppxal30-planet-x-al30-wheelset.html

£164.99 (1510g + skewers)
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=684

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cheap and relatively light wheels here for those on a budget build:

cheers s’n’r – touch worried they’d not be happy with my 15 stone hulk atop them, though!

currently torn between Aksium’s – good reputation – have lasted well under my 17 stone mate!
    or, the curveball
    Swissside, St Bernard. 1700g w/o skewers & tape so, not as light as your options but,rated for my weight. £136’ish at current exchange rates. Just need to remove the wood effect sticker…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Anyone built one up yet, would love to se what you’re doing?

In progress pics, anything… want to live my carbon bike fantasy through your pics.

mudsux
    Free Member

I bought a scott cr1 team a year and a half ago for under £1000 in full 105 5700 and aksium wheels. Is this the same frame?

marsdenman
    Free Member

@ eyerideit – a couple of pages back you’ll find shibboleth’s build pic. My carbon fantasy currently revolves around following the delivery tracking system of the courier – delivery due tomorrow 🙂
    meantime, far too much time lost looking at build options…..

eyerideit
    Free Member

You bought one?

I’m still resisting and reading the threat which just is helping.

😈

marsdenman
    Free Member

You bought one?

Yup – the ‘Pro’ – ‘cos Iiked the red bits 😉

eyerideit
    Free Member

I like grey, that’s what’s putter me off the Pro – we not putting off – just…

It’d look nice with SRAM Red on it but that’s ££££££

damitamit
    Free Member

Finally got round to start the build.

Actual frame weight for a 54 is 903g (no seatclamp, bottle cage bolts, headset or bb)

But it was promptly interrupted when I realised I didnt have all the headset parts. Missing a crown race and have two different sized bearings.

Vortexracing

bit of a bugger that 🙄

marsdenman
    Free Member

oh, yep, that’s a bit of a pain!

wwaswas

pretty much there. bit of tweaking of bar and hood angles before I tape it up but I got round the block without falling off.

Wasn’t sure about lots of silver on it but I already had the wheels so stuck with it and actually quite pleased with it 🙂

‘scuse the mtb pedals and half finished kitchen.

mudsux
    Free Member

‘scuse the mtb pedals and half finished kitchen.

The MTB saddle is more offensive.

wwaswas

😳

damitamit
    Free Member

Nice build! Thou I concur on the saddle :p

wwaswas

I seem to have a WTB shaped bum. MAybe I’ll buy a Silverado for future photo-shoots!

17lb on my ‘none more accurate’ Aldi fishing scales.

back2basics
    Free Member

lovely build.
    17lbs eh, what about pump, saddlebag tyre levers multitool and inners though?

or do real roadies prefer low weight over chance of puncture 😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

very nice. Probably get it down to 16.5 with thee ‘right’ saddle 😉 But, you know what, I’d rather a comfy ride on ‘the wrong saddle’ that a freaking uncomfortable one on an ‘on trend’ one. 🙂

In other news – I’ve just seen the e-mail telling me my red + grey rocket is due for delivery this aft:)

damitamit
    Free Member

I phoned Westbrook this morning and they’re sending out a new headset. Hopefully it will arrive tomo and I can finish the build.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘Road: Could Not Resist….’ is closed to new replies.