Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 448 total)
  • Road: Could Not Resist….
  • johnnystorm

Finished mine off today. SL/Ribble Ultegra/RS80/WCS Carbon finishing kit, etc. My (unverified) scales say bang on 15lbs. Whatever the reality I’m very happy with it. 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

I want a pair of scales like those. Cheapest way to lose weight…… 😉

SamB
    Free Member

Plasma TT frame should be showing up today. I need to check that DA 9070 will actually fit in the stem but if it does… Pics up when it’s built 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

Project SL Pro is all but ready to roll 🙂
    Just need to pop to my local garage to borrow some 8mm torques for the head tube bung (torque set I borrowed does not have a bit that big!). One last double check of nuts and bolts / pressures etc and we’ll be ready to roll. Plan is to pinch an hour tomorrow morning 🙂
    Early indications, from a few pedals up and down the back of our terrace = big 🙂 *

Piccies etc at some point…

*this may be revised after an hour of being brutalised by an unknown (to my butt) saddle on tyres so thin and a such a high pressure they may as well be steel belts 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I want a pair of scales like those. Cheapest way to lose weight……

I was retentive enough last year to do a couple of builds weighing everything on some new kitchen scales. To the nearest 100g (the accuracy of my bathroom scales) they agreed with my bathroom scales exactly.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I was interested in some of those black alu rims/wheels. Does anyone make black alu rims that don’t get tatty after a bit of use?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Vortexracing – Member

I think Stans Alpha rims are 20mm wide, these are 24mm

Is that the inside or outside measurement? They may not be Alphas, they just look like them. Worth checking properly if you can be bothered.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The benifit (or at least difference) with alphas is they make any tyre seem much much bigger than it is as the ‘bead socket’ is that much shallower.

On my old rims 23mm tyres were just a smidge wider than the brake track, could get wheels in and out without releasing the brake cable, on the alphas it looks like I’m running 25mm tyres and it has to be wound off a few turns (no QR on my callipers).

meandyuk

I thought I would share my upgraded cr1 comp which i’ve just completed, inspiration taken from this thread!

njee20
    Free Member

Does anyone make black alu rims that don’t get tatty after a bit of use?

No, because they’re all just anodised, wear through that and they’ll be silver. Mavic Exalith or Ceramic rims will be your best bet, the former are only on R-SYS wheels though.

dazh

Built mine up at last. Will be changing the wheels for something more blingy once I’ve decided what I want and how much I can afford. No idea on the weight but it’s lighter than than my aluminium fixed wheel commuter, and much lighter than my Litespeed Vela. Took it out for the first time yesterday over Holme Moss. First impressions are that it’s much smoother than the Vela over bumpy roads. Also much stiffer and I could really feel the difference in the power being transmitted to the drive train. Descending it felt a little twitchy but I’m putting that down to either the wrong stem setup (haven’t decided the best size yet) or me just not being used to it. All in all I’m very pleased with it and it feels like a significant improvement on the vela.

I had a bit of a scary moment when I hit a pothole going downhill and heard a loud crack come from the fork/head tube area. I thought I’d broken it on the first ride, but a very close inspection has not revealed any visible damage so I think it’s ok. Will be watching it on the descents for the next few rides though just in case.

pryally
    Free Member

loud crack can sometimes be the bars rotating slightly if they’ve not been tightened adequately (happened to me last week) in the stem. Scared the crap out of me when it happened

tincaman
    Free Member

Yes, tighten your bars, had this 3 times today on my new SL build, sounds terrible when it happens.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Last night in finally got out on my pro. First road ride on >25 years!
    Roughly 16 mile loop, up and over the pennine hills. 😯
    Only ‘issues’
    numb plums after about an hour – will tilt nose of saddle down a bit and set if that helps.
    numb hands – I was riding in my MTB (not padded) gloves and have just standard, cork, bar tape = not exactly the same as the big, round, ODI’s on my mtb. Of course, hand position & pressure thereon (mostly riding on the hoods) is also completely new. Any thoughts on how to alleviate or is it just a case of putting a couple more rides in a see if things improve?
    Sit bones seem fine, though I’ve not tried to sit on the bike today!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Njee – that’s what I thought, wondered if anyone still did ceramic coated rims which you’ve just confirmed.

gurufred
    Free Member

Here’s mine. First ride last night, love it.
    Alps next weekend!

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t suppose anyone’s tried SKS raceblade longs + 25mm tyres on their CR1 pro have they? Need to replace my winter frame and this is tempting (chances are I’ll end up building it up with new bits and keep the current winter bike for the turbo though…).
    Shibboleth’s post about the ride harshness is a bit of a worry to, I’m used to quite plush riding bikes (Roubaix is current winter bike).

SamB
    Free Member

Started building up my Plasma last night. First thoughts:
    – the internal cabling on the bars & stem was an absolute b**tard to fit 👿
    – the internal cabling on the bars & stem looks really good when it’s all fitted 😀
    – the frame is LOOOOW – definitely going to need to get some spacers to raise up the pads on the front end

Otherwise good – hoping to get the drivetrain swapped over this evening. One step closer!

ska-49
    Free Member

Builds are looking great!
    If anybody is looking for a 54cm, let me know.
    I’ve got a new one unused sitting in the garage.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

non-matching bar tape and saddle colour on the last 3 build pics?!

Vortex, that C’dale looks like it needs strapping down to stop it floating away…the all-black wheels ‘disappear’ and the white highlights on the fork and stays make them look needle-thin.

tpbiker
    Free Member

ska..the sl version?

ska-49
    Free Member

tpbiker- yes. SL version.
    Fitted the headset and was waiting to build it up but now looking at another MTB instead.

tpbiker
    Free Member

oooft…its a tad on the big side…well not really, I just wanted a 52 so I can show off more of my expensive carbon post and fit a longer stem!

What were you planning to sell it for?

Fellstone
    Free Member

Here’s my sons new bike finished and well tested…

and my new Pro (as someone bought all the SLs ! 🙄 )

They have identical running gear apart from the frame. General thoughts so far is neither my son or I can really feel the difference !

ska-49
    Free Member

Nice build! Your sons lucky.

tpbiker- looking to get a fat bike. If you’re interested drop me an email at hodsonk2(at)uni.coventry.ac.uk

Fellstone
    Free Member

He paid for most of it himself as he is a good saver with a bit of help 😉 from Dad. Don’t tell the wife !

Vortexracing

Look good Nige, you need to join us on our commutes now, that way you will get used to it.

your John can stay at home, he is fast enough already 🙄

dazh

non-matching bar tape and saddle colour on the last 3 build pics?!

I wasn’t aware of that rule. Now you mention it, it does look a bit wrong. My CC bill is straining under the weight of the frame, groupset and other bits, and some nice wheels (with white hubs maybe?) are next on the list, but it will be rectified at some point. Oh the shame!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Having done 2 rides now, 35 miles or so in total, up, over and around the pennine hills 😯 (so much for easing myself in with 10 milers and taking it from there) I’ve got to say the bike is great! I was all too nervous that I’d ‘done the wrong’ thing but, no – as the milage (let alone climbing!) indicates, there is but one fault with my Pro – it just wants to keep on going, when the ‘engine’ perhaps cannot manage anymore..
    Sorry, make that two faults, it wants to keep going, and wants you to keep knocking it up a gear!

I’ll post a picture up at some point. Meantime, just wanted to say thanks again..

to boblo, for the head-up
    to those of you who ‘made me do it’ 😉
    to those of you who proffered various bits of guidance and advice.

Cheers again

Chris

total aside – another new (to me) find – aren’t bibshorts great – why did I wait so long to try them!

Vortexracing

Glad your enjoying it Marsdenman.

Mine on the other hand isn’t lightning my fire 🙁

boblo
    Free Member

I’m still not sure what to do with mine. Does anyone fancy a superdoopa 56cmPro CR1 frame in A1 condition? Frame only. PM me for details.

njee20
    Free Member

How much?

boblo
    Free Member

£350 plus post. Very welcome to pick up. PE6 for viewing.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Mine on the other hand isn’t lightning my fire

oh, no! how come?

Vortexracing

:(Not sure, I bought it now rather than waiting for next year to buy either one of these

Enigma Equinox

one of these

Condor Super Acciaio

or one of these that caught my eye in Paul Hewitts last week

Hewitt Fiera SC

Don’t get me wrong it’s silly light and with the new Soul 2.0 wheels seems very fast and handles well.

But it looks a bit big, I have very short legs 🙁

If I’m having a Sunday/Sunny day bike I want it to look right, a bit shallow maybe, but that’s the truth.

The Scott is probably for sale TBH and I’ll probably go for one of the above.

or even one of these

Enigma Elite

The problem is the Enigma Elite and Hewitt have at least 8 weeks waiting list 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

£350 plus post. Very welcome to pick up. PE6 for viewing.

Nah, must resist…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

boblo ygm

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The Scott is probably for sale

What size?
    Where?
    How much?

(56/58
    Manchester)

Vortexracing

Size = 52

probably £450?

Preston

thegeneralist
    Free Member

shame
    2/3 aint bad.
    Good luck with the sale

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘Road: Could Not Resist….’ is closed to new replies.