Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road / commuting tyre recommendations?
  • bp
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a light, fast, reasonably puncture resistant road tyre? The 700-28 Kendas on my commute are just the opposite (except the puncture resistant bit).

Cheers,

BP

P.S Are ‘what tyre’ threads still frowned upon? 😆

colande
    Free Member

bontrager race lite hardcase
    nothing more to say

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Conti UltraGatorSkins roll very well, but mine got cut up and I had to replace them before they were worn out. Still did 2000+ miles though.
    The used RoadRat I bought last year came with some Bonty Race Lite Hard Case tyres which seem a bit tougher (I’ve still had one puncture though) but don’t roll as well: They have a central strip which seems a bit flat and I’m sure this causes the bar wobble I get when riding no-handed…..

ski
    Free Member

just replaced Conti UltraGatorSkins (great tyre btw) for some Michelin Pro3 Race (lbs did not have the Conti’s in)

Rolling resistance is very good, worth checking out if you can find a deal on them.

AdamM
    Free Member

Continental Ultragatorskins would be my reccomendation.

mugsys_m8

Michelin Pro3for commuting? yeah that’s a good value option. Will last nice and long…. 😉

Having said that I’ve put some on my road bike and they are streets ahead of various high performance contis I’ve tried in the past

oddjob
    Free Member

Race tyres for commuting is plain nuts and on a road rat even more so seeing as fixing flats is such a pain in the bum.
    I bought some Continental sport contact things with a 1 year no flat garuntee. I have had a flat, but I was getting at least one every ride in the spring and it absolutely did my head in.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Sport_Contact_Hybrid_Tyre_With_Tube/5360008375/

oddjob
    Free Member

Perhaps I should add that the multiple flats were with Conti gator skins. There is a LOT of flint on the roads where I ride…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Specialized All Condition Armadillo tyres. God knows how many thousand miles never punctured and have even used on the cross bike for summer use.

Great kit, even though as you probably remember I don’t usually like stuff from Spesh… 🙂

geoffj

Spesh Nimbus Armadillos

tang
    Free Member

armadillos are great. im running conti sport contact in a 32(for the rough track sections) on my rat atm, great tyre.

traildog
    Free Member

Actually, Pro Races aren’t as mad as it sounds. I’ve used them for commutting before and they aren’t as all out Race tyre that the name suggests. In other words, they last quite well and are quite puncture resistant for the weight. Certainly fast and give a nice ride.
    However, I wouldn’t really recommend them as I’d go for something cheaper.

I don’t really suffer from punctures much though, so I’m probably not the best to comment.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Only had one puncture on my original Specialized Mondo Pro tyres in the last 2.5 years and commute 2-3 times a week on back roads with brambles and also Devon roads in the winter – these are obiously race tyres but I get to work quicker 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

sCHWALBE Super Motos 2.3s have been fantastic 😆
    But they’ve stopped making em 😡 If you see any snap em up. Oh but tell me first!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Gator skins here. They do get cut up, but still seem to last pretty well and not too many punctures.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I like the Continental GP4000 S.

Yes it is a sort of race tyre, but it appears quite resistant to punctures – one so far, in about 3000-4000km of riding, and that was when I hit a great big lump of sharp rock, about 2 inches across – flipped up and cut a line out of the tyre.

They feel like they go fast to me, although to be honest I don’t notice a massive difference between 23mm tyres (except my nasty Bontrager ones where I noticed that the front tyre had not much grip in the wet, which was not confidence inspiring).

I think they do the normal GP4000 in wider than 23mm if you don’t like narrow tyres. If you get those, get the black ones, because they have the special compound that is supposed to be better for punctures, faster rolling, grippier etc. whereas the colour ones don’t.

Joe

bp
    Free Member

Cheers everyone!

Blimey, bike tyres are pricey these days 🙁

BP

Gary_M
    Free Member

bontrager race lite hardcase – nothing more to say

Well there’s lots more to say really. Bontrager hardcases are fine for the money but they’re nothing special. I used a set through winter and they were okay, very wooden feel though. At the moment I’m using Michelin Krylion Carbons and been very happy with them over the past couple of months on my long commute.

Use Continental GP 4 Season (Duraskin) on my road bike in winter and I’m happy with them too. Using pro race 3’s at the moment and I wouldn’t say I was fixing any more punctures than I do with ‘winter’ tyres on.

All of the above feel much nicer than the Bontrager hardcase.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road / commuting tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.